Quantcast
New mattress - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New mattress

Default New mattress

Current mattress is starting to annoy me and I知 looking to improve my sleep and comfort. I知 out of the loop and don稚 know anything about this but my budget is up to $2gs ish. Queen size.

I want a regular mattress not the digital/folding ones and I figure those are outside my price range anyway. Something on the firm side rather than soft. I知 also willing to wait until Christmas/Boxing Day if there are deals around.

What do you guys like? Any other considerations?

Thanks for the feedback.

My Ride
    Blue boy

In 4 info

My Ride
    '10 Civic

look into endy, casper, bloom.
    And the purple pillow :P

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Foam is the way to go. Tempur seems to have the best reviews but Dormeo will probably be my next mattress. For 2g you can pretty much get any model of tempur if you negotiate enough at sleep country. aim for at least 40% if not 50% off list.
    Friend bought one of these off amazon and loves it. His previous one was like a 5k(list) Kingsdown. Thinking about trying it for the next one
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00MWTJ9OA?ref=emc_b_5_t

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

We purchased a Douglasbed foam mattress and its the best mattress ive ever slept on. They are well priced (king was $850.00) and they deliver to your door. 6 month trial period. I absolutely love ours. Canadian made.

https://www.douglasbed.ca/en/
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:28 AM.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

went with a tempurpedic from Sleep Country. Got a great deal on it, ~50% off after some negotiations (which is normal). Never have I ever spent so much on a mattress but man, does it ever make a difference to me.

Service, delivery, and "install" was clean and simple.

Foam. cooling material feature. sleep protector.

My Ride
    Pt Cruiser

I bought a Wynn bed. Same bed they use in the hotel at Las Vegas. I will never cheap out on a mattress again, I am in love with it.

It's a sealy that's specially made for them. It wasn't really all that expensive either.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought a Wynn bed. Same bed they use in the hotel at Las Vegas. I will never cheap out on a mattress again, I am in love with it.

It's a sealy that's specially made for them. It wasn't really all that expensive either.
    This is something I don't think a lot of people know; most hotels will give you information regarding their mattress and linen suppliers.

My Ride
    This and that.

In for info as well...guys post prices of what you're ending up with as that obviously helps! Also please advise when the open houses are so that we can come and actually try out the mattresses you're recommending. lol

I bought a Wynn bed. Same bed they use in the hotel at Las Vegas...It's a sealy that's specially made for them.
    Added stain protection or what?

My Ride
    Ford F150

I've always found the foam mattresses to be WAY too hot at night. I'm like a furnace most days though.

Longest lasting mattress I've ever had was a Sealey Posturpedic, one of the ones you can flip and use on all sides. Rotate, flip, rotate, flip every few months and it lasted me a decade before I decided it was time to upgrade.

Since then (5 years) I've gone through 3 pillow top mattresses.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    ute

I just put in an order for a new bed, and want a new mattress to go along with it.

I'm actually going to be looking at Latex mattresses, which I think are essentially the premium material/choice for mattresses. Pricey sumbitches - but it's a bed, so worth it. Anybody buy a latex mattress in town here? there are a couple of options.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Very similar to what we did, we bought pillows from the fairmont store in Banff but we were too cheap to buy the mattress as well. Instead we took the specs to sleep Country and bought the closest we could find at a significant discount. Very pleased with the purchases.
    Hotels need to buy high quality comfortable and long lasting bedding and it can make the selection process that much easier for a guy like me.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    Pipe

I recently went through the process of buying a new mattress and pillow. The best place I found in Calgary is the mattress and and sleep company. https://www.tmasc.ca

This place may be out of the OP's price range but to put these guys in context, this company is to Sleep Country as Professional skate is to Sport Chek or Calgary Cycle is to Canadian Tire. One is staffed by experts that can add value to the buying process and help you make informed buying decisions while the others are there to move volume and sell you whatever they can with no consideration given to your needs as a unique consumer.

Most of the mattress shops try to sell you on mattress firmness, do you like a firm mattress or a soft mattress. In reality this is not what you should be looking at. First what you want to establish is they type of sleeper you are, do you sleep predominantly on your side back or stomach. Then focus on what your spine alignment looks like in your typical sleeping position and buy a mattress the offer optimal alignment of your spine and provides the support to keep your spine in alignment. Also make sure to buy a pillow that is specific to you typical sleeping position. This will help keep your head in the proper alignment with your spine and eliminate neck pain.

The mattress business is pretty greasy in the sense that the manufacturers offer very similar mattresses to various big box retailers but will white label the models and make them exclusive to a given retailer. This makes difficult for the consumer to compare prices and do apple to apple comparisons and understand the different features of each.

One thing that impacts the longevity of a mattress is what the top foam is made of, I can't remember the different types of foam but I do remember that foam made from natural latex rubber (or something like that) will significantly out last the foam that is commonly used on most mattresses sold at places like sleep country. Higher quality foam will last longer and ensure that your mattress feels that same for longer.

I spent a bunch of time researching mattresses and ended up with a coil mattress from the Mattress and Sleep country, I can't specifically remember why I didn't go with a tempurpedic type mattress, I think it was due to the fact that I am predominately a side sleeper and those may be better for back sleepers (although could be completely wrong on that)

Bottom line is that I went from waking up multiple times each night on my old mattress with numb arms, legs hands, etc. to consistently sleeping through the night. There are 2 purchases that I have made in my life that have made a lasting measurable improvement to my quality of life:

1. Regularly scheduled Cleaning Lady
    2. High quality Mattress

Even if you don't have the money to buy from the Mattress and Sleep Company its worth the time to go down there and talk to them. The people that work there are awesome sources of information.

Good luck!

Check out the Dormeo mattresses. I had a Sealy foam mattress and it absolutely killed my back. Couldn't move around at all, as well as hot as hell. Sent it back and got the Dormeo. It's a little stiffer than I would like but it isn't hot and doesn't collapse like a memory foam.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

I'm in the same boat right now. What did you guys end up choosing for a mattress? I'm considering buying one of these hipster internet mattresses. So far based on my research, I am considering either a Silk and Snow (www.silkandsnow.com) or Casper.