Quantcast
Buying Wireless Earphones. Recommendations? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying Wireless Earphones. Recommendations?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Buying Wireless Earphones. Recommendations?

I'm looking into buying wireless headphones (preferably buds or the in-ear kind), so I thought I would ask you guys what are things to consider?

The Google Pixel Buds are fascinating because I have my S6 Edge, and I'm planning on doing some traveling in a couple months, so I figure/hope the translation integration could come in handy.

I presume that one thing I would need to worry about is always keeping batteries on-hand? Also, if my headphone batteries die on the flight, I'd have to wait until they re-charge before I can use them again, right?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

For travelling I think the general consensus is to get Over Ears as it's going to be more comfortable and you'll get better noise cancelling. I've got a set of the Sennheiser Momentum M2 Wireless and love them, lots of people will probably suggest the Bose QC35 wireless. Best to get something with Active Noise Cancellation to drown out the sound of the engines and crying babies.
    I've also got a set of Liberty+ by Zolo(sub brand of Anker) coming within the next month or so, which are completely wireless headphones like the pixel buds.

YMMV on the part where you use the headphones while they're dead, my Sennheisers have a plug for a 3.5mm jack built in which works while the headphones are dead, I can also play music and charge at the same time using the USB connection. You'll have to do some research on what is possible for each headphone.

My Ride
    Bicycle

There are as much people vouching for QC35 as Sony MDR-1000x. So I say try both. QC35 is great for travelling.

As for buds, no experience on them as I don't believe in them yet. At least with QC35, I'm only 1 cable away to turn it back to wired. Something none of the wireless buds offers.

I also have a set of Aftershoz for riding bike. But since they are bone conduction, sound quality wasn't the main objective.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not a fan of over ears for flights as they don't let you wear them for take off and landing. That's why I stick with active noise cancelling earbuds, get my drink on prior to the flight, hop on, throw on earbuds and pass out while boarding is still happening. The last time I had over ears, they woke my ass up and pissed me off.

Not sure why the rules are like that for over ears.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a fan of over ears for flights as they don't let you wear them for take off and landing. That's why I stick with active noise cancelling earbuds, get my drink on prior to the flight, hop on, throw on earbuds and pass out while boarding is still happening. The last time I had over ears, they woke my ass up and pissed me off.

Not sure why the rules are like that for over ears.
    When was the last time you flew??? Haven't been bothered the last 3 times flying (International and domestic).

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

I've had my Beoplay H5 (wireless bluetooth) for quite some time. Throw them on trips, can barely hear engine noise without music being played. Anything that's not connected to the airplane audio needs to be removed for takeoff. I usually just have one bud in, finish the drink, and then sleep before take off.

Great sound, easy to connect, good on battery. I've used them for hockey, gardening, trips, etc.
    Last edited by TYMSMNY; 10-16-2017 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    When was the last time you flew??? Haven't been bothered the last 3 times flying (International and domestic).
    Last trip was a month and a half ago, and I fly very regularly these days. I see it all the time where I have my ear buds in, and neighboring people are asked to remove their over the ears. Interestingly enough, when I flew business international, they provide you with over the ear noise cancellers and you can wear 'em anytime.

The last segment I had from YVR to YKA on a propeller plane, they won't let me wear ear buds either during take off and landing.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I prefer earbuds because of size.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    Hit and miss but I found a lot more don't enforce this any more.

But I still have my headset around my neck on take off and landing.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    I prefer earbuds because of size.
    Then get a set of active noise cancelling USB-C earbuds. Powered by the phone, don't have to deal with battery. That's the route I went (iPhone lightning port version).

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Then get a set of active noise cancelling USB-C earbuds. Powered by the phone, don't have to deal with battery. That's the route I went (iPhone lightning port version).
    My phone still has a the 3.5mm jack, so going wired isn't a big deal. It would actually be preferred if going wireless buds means I have to re-charge them every 4-5 hours.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

My phone still has a the 3.5mm jack, so going wired isn't a big deal. It would actually be preferred if going wireless buds means I have to re-charge them every 4-5 hours.
    3.5mm jack doesn't provide power, which is what I hated about my last set of noise cancellers. Not a fan of clip on battery pack to power the noise cancelling functionality. Battery life is also a PITA, as I fly for 24 hours each way twice a year. Switching to lightning (or USB-C for non Apple) solves that problem, keeps everything lightweight while the phone provides the power. The phone has enough power to last my entire trip from house to hotel as well as powering the ear buds.

Of course my case is the exception, there are plenty of lightweight wireless NC earbuds without battery packs that last for most flights. Something like this is pretty badass:

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/tr...eless/wf-1000x

That 3 hour battery life (+9h worth of charge) makes it useless for me though.

My Ride
    an econo box

The Google Pixel Buds are fascinating because I have my S6 Edge, and I'm planning on doing some traveling in a couple months, so I figure/hope the translation integration could come in handy.
    The translate feature of the Pixel buds is exclusive to the Pixel and Pixel 2 I believe.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Every time I have attempted to use wireless headphones on a plane they have made me put them away. No wireless.

Most recently was August.

It’s the only time I use the cord anymore, I just cord them up right from the get go so I don’t get harassed.

Wifi is cool on planes now, but Bluetooth? “Are you trying to get us all killed!!!”
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    an econo box

Speaking of wireless bluetooth earbuds, are there any that actually sound decent now? I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore audiophile, but I do have some decent quality wired earbuds and a reduction in audio quality would be unacceptable to me. The last time I tested bluetooth earbuds they sounded like shit. And these were expensive ones. Admittedly though this was a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Every time I have attempted to use wireless headphones on a plane they have made me put them away. No wireless.

Most recently was August.

It’s the only time I use the cord anymore, I just cord them up right from the get go so I don’t get harassed.

Wifi is cool on planes now, but Bluetooth? “Are you trying to get us all killed!!!”
    I mean I have used bluetooth headphones (Bose QC35) on every flight I have been on the last year or so. Not a single time have I been asked to take them off.

Last trip was a month and a half ago, and I fly very regularly these days. I see it all the time where I have my ear buds in, and neighboring people are asked to remove their over the ears. Interestingly enough, when I flew business international, they provide you with over the ear noise cancellers and you can wear 'em anytime.

The last segment I had from YVR to YKA on a propeller plane, they won't let me wear ear buds either during take off and landing.
    You just look sketchy.

My Ride
    07 997TT

I just bought these ... reviews seemed okay and its on sale. Like the "waterproof" design as i'll be using these when cycling. Also like the ability to have sound flow through and will see if the heartrate feature is any good.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10538261.aspx?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

bump.

Pixel Bud review: https://gizmodo.com/googles-pixel-bu...ood-1820411288

TL;DR: Not good. Worth a read if you're considering these.

My Ride
    Grimace

bump.

Pixel Bud review: https://gizmodo.com/googles-pixel-bu...ood-1820411288

TL;DR: Not good. Worth a read if you're considering these.
    I'm going to wait for some further reviews as the reviewer sounds like a real dumbass.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast