Quantcast
Solo Traveling in Spain - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Solo Traveling in Spain

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Default Solo Traveling in Spain

I'm planning on going to Spain for a month in January. My original plan was to post up in Barcelona for the entire month and venture out from there - the intent of the trip is to hang out and get some outdoor rock climbing in. But upon doing more reading, it sounds like a better option would be to check out a few of the other climbing hot spots around Spain, namely El Chorro, Costa Blanca and Mallorca.

I've never planned a trip like this so I have a few questions for anyone who has done the backpacking thing:

Has anyone visited those areas?

What is the best way to plan my flight? Since there is the potential for multiple stops, I'm concerned about the logistics of having to plan out a trip where I fly from London to Malaga, make my way somehow to El Chorro, then find my way to Costa Blanca, Barcelona and Mallorca, then fly back into London for a flight back home. Should I consult a travel agent?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Stay away from Barcelona area. Political unrest going on.
    Some co-worker was there when it started. Lots of people missed their flights, etc because getting around wasn't happening.
    They just decide to stop working and then literally no taxi's, busses, nothing. They got their flight because they left very early as there were stories of 30min car rides taking up to 4 hrs to get to the same place.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

Probably a good idea to talk to a travel agent. I just checked some google flights from YYC to each of those areas and it appears that flying to Malaga makes the most sense as it is only 1 stop (in london), is the shortest time (19 hours total) and is about $100 cheaper than flying to Alicante, Granada, flying to Valencia is another worthwhile option. Might be worthwhile to check in to what travel options you have when you are there. Will you need to rent a car to get to the climbing spots? would a bus take you were you want to go? what is the cost and time difference for each?

If you fly to Malaga you can then take a train along the coast and stop near enough to El Chorro and Costa Blanca. Mallorca you will likely need to take a plane, I think there is a ferry out of Valencia as well (note, locals pronounce it VAL-en-CI-A) don't call it Va-LEN-cia (like the oranges). For me, I prioritize having as few stops as possible when I travel. Also, Finding your way in a foreign country is half the fun so don't worry too much about it. Look at getting you're phone unlocked and picking up a sim card over there and use your phone for GPS and to book whatever is needed and most importantly be able to call for help if something should happen since you are going on your own.

My Ride
    NC1

Too bad about Barcelona it's such an amazing City.

Have fun dude! Myself 3-4 days Madrid and 6-7 Barcelona. I didn't get the chance to visit the other places.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stay away from Barcelona area. Political unrest going on.
    Some co-worker was there when it started. Lots of people missed their flights, etc because getting around wasn't happening.
    They just decide to stop working and then literally no taxi's, busses, nothing. They got their flight because they left very early as there were stories of 30min car rides taking up to 4 hrs to get to the same place.
    A friend of mine is in Catalonia right now and he says it's fine. Though he's in a smaller municipality. Maybe it's tougher in large urban areas
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    is Invisible

You won't have any issues as a solo traveler in Spain. I spent 8 days back in 2016 and have nothing but positive things to say regarding people, safety, police, etc.

As a suggestion, you should consider taking the train between your destinations. The beauty of this is that you eliminate the taxi/bus ride to the airport in both directions and the train terminals are always centrally located.

Quote Originally Posted by sexualbanana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A friend of mine is in Catalonia right now and he says it's fine. Though he's in a smaller municipality. Maybe it's tougher in large urban areas
    Barcelona is where these people were.