Quantcast
Cameras for rural security - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cameras for rural security

My Ride
    85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco

Default Cameras for rural security

We have a house located on a lake that we just completed, when we had it built we hired a company to prewire everything for home automation and security. We currently have a security system in place by them and have no complaints. We have also inquired about purchasing everything else 4 Cameras outdoor a dvr and the required switch equipment. Needless to say, we checked some of the prices of the equipment online and where shocked at the markup. For 4 cameras, NVR and switch they are quoting us ~$4000. Needless to say this is not in our budget and we would like to do something ourselves I am fairly tech savvy and have a few friends that are more so than me. Just wondering if anyone has purchased something that would meet our needs and not break the bank. the main goal here is just to remote view the home and record if anyone where to break-in or attempt to.

Thanks

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Costco has wired IP cameras for a couple of hundred dollars they come with two HD cameras and 150 feet of cat 6 Ethernet cable per camera. Hook both up to the home or properties network then get a NAS I personally am using a synology. Then all you need to do is allow yourself to connect to it from the internet and you have remote live monitoring as well as a month or more of video backed up on your nas. At least that’s what I have on my house. Before I installed them I would have ppl trying to break into my cars and trying to open my house front door I haven’t had any problems since I did.

Oh and I’ve had them running with no problems from the weather all last year. I believe they are rated to -40 for the cameras I just have the Ethernet cable running down the side of my house and then into the basement via the air intake.

We got a quote to do our shop and it was insane too. The actual system itself they only marked up $400 from the costco price but the labor was the killer, they wanted almost $2300 for labor and supplies. Because our space is commercial with drop ceilings in the offices and open in the showroom i decided to do it myself and with a rolling scaffold it was the easiest job and took me a little over a day to run the wires. The hardest part is planning where the box is and if you have enough cable. When i looked the longest i could find was 100ft cables that came with the systems(some were 60) and even though that sounds like a lot it really isnt but it worked for me. It really is plug and play with no other supplies needed even though i was told there would be extra things needed. Its been 14 months since i installed it and no issues, I bought the swann 8 camera system and they have an app for remote viewing. From what i remember there were 2 cable types and we went with the cat 5 one because it was power and video all in one where as the other had 2 cables i think.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Is it Ethernet prewired? I can see the labour being the majority of that quote. I did an install at my buddies place which was also prewired, biggest pain of the whole process was terminating RJ45 on those cables, when on a ladder 10 feet in the air haha. We got it all done and it's working great. Just get a cheap PVR (actually picking this sucker up after work, did research into it, seems pretty good http://www.swann.com/au/swdvk-845808#), it will have push notifications, email alerts, and can view right on your PC. Mine is pre-wired with RG6, but if you got ethernet then you will need something similar but with Ethernet.

The one feature that I like about the system (from research) is thermal motion detection. My existing system sucks as it thinks the trees moving because of wind is motion, and keeps alerting all the time.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

My FIL and I installed the Costco system in less than a day at our seed plant. Works great with the app on your phone.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

This is super awesome to know, I also just purchased a rural property and need a system! Will go to costco tomorrow

My Ride

Yes everything is prewired all camera locations have an cat6 cable that just need to be plugged in. There is even a rack in the utility room for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by eblend View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it Ethernet prewired? I can see the labour being the majority of that quote. I did an install at my buddies place which was also prewired, biggest pain of the whole process was terminating RJ45 on those cables, when on a ladder 10 feet in the air haha. We got it all done and it's working great. Just get a cheap PVR (actually picking this sucker up after work, did research into it, seems pretty good http://www.swann.com/au/swdvk-845808#), it will have push notifications, email alerts, and can view right on your PC. Mine is pre-wired with RG6, but if you got ethernet then you will need something similar but with Ethernet.

The one feature that I like about the system (from research) is thermal motion detection. My existing system sucks as it thinks the trees moving because of wind is motion, and keeps alerting all the time.

My Ride
    Ford F150

The quote you got was just taking you for a ride then. You're in the perfect position to do you own setup.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Got my new Swann HD system setup, so far very happy with the interface and the camera quality. Here are some pictures for reference. Took the screenshots from the phone. Included a picture for day vs night comparison as well, but most pics are at night.

My Ride

thanks for all the help we ordered this set https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-i...N10804-86W-1-p

Looks like it will be good more cameras than i need but i plan to put a few inside as we have a drop celling that should make for easy install.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

The Swann and Lorex both look to be good choices!