Quantcast
Calgary street repairs/claims - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Calgary street repairs/claims

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Calgary street repairs/claims

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I just wanted to share that if your vehicle has been damaged because of a pothole or construction on a city highway, don’t hesitate to submit your claim to the city.

This recently happened to me and after multiple emails and phone calls I finally was able to get my claim reinbursed by the city in full.

I hit a large pothole on 17thave and 77st this summer and it bent my rim and ruptured the sidewall on my tire. Because it was an AWD vehicle I had to replace both front tires.

The city paid for the repair of my wheel plus two new tires.

It was rather saitsifying that they actually paid up.

Just wanted to share in case this has happened to you.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i had this happen out in the country, cracked my rim on a pothole on a secondary road, i contacted the province, they said the county was responsible, could never get a hold of anybody so i just gave up
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

On AWD cars you are supposed to replace all 4 at once. Now you have a front rear rotation speed difference which is going to stress the center differential. You might be within spec (I assume the shop knows the OEM spec). Never heard of a shop telling someone to replace both fronts on an AWD car to solve speed differential though???

I’ve seen a bunch of horror stories on vortexfrom Audi guys trying to run staggered wheel setups and not doing the calculations right
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-19-2017 at 07:19 PM.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    On AWD cars you are supposed to replace all 4 at once. Now you have a front rear rotation speed difference which is going to stress the center differential. You might be within spec (I assume the shop knows the OEM spec). Never heard of a shop telling someone to replace both fronts on an AWD car to solve speed differential though???

I’ve seen a bunch of horror stories on vortexfrom Audi guys trying to run staggered wheel setups and not doing the calculations right
    I have a BMW and my wheels and tires are staggered from factory. The rears were brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    I have a BMW and my wheels and tires are staggered from factory. The rears were brand new.
    Cool yea just with AWD the side to side differential isn’t really the unique problem it’s the front to back.

Yea my comment on staggered is you obviously can’t run the same tire front and back if you’re staggered on AWD (I don’t mean staggered widths) some guys don’t get the tire size differential close enough and wreck their Center diff

Just using that as an example of why you don’t want any different in radius front to back

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Cool yea just with AWD the side to side differential isn’t really the unique problem it’s the front to back.

Yea my comment on staggered is you obviously can’t run the same tire front and back if you’re staggered on AWD (I don’t mean staggered widths) some guys don’t get the tire size differential close enough and wreck their Center diff

Just using that as an example of why you don’t want any different in radius front to back
    Good to know, I didn’t realize it effected front to back as well. How does that work, I thought BMW didn’t have a 50/50 split from front to back.

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I just wanted to share that if your vehicle has been damaged because of a pothole or construction on a city highway, don’t hesitate to submit your claim to the city.

This recently happened to me and after multiple emails and phone calls I finally was able to get my claim reinbursed by the city in full.

I hit a large pothole on 17thave and 77st this summer and it bent my rim and ruptured the sidewall on my tire. Because it was an AWD vehicle I had to replace both front tires.

The city paid for the repair of my wheel plus two new tires.

It was rather saitsifying that they actually paid up.

Just wanted to share in case this has happened to you.
    Fucking Nenshi...

Wait a minute.
    Will fuck off, again.

Good to know, I didn’t realize it effected front to back as well. How does that work, I thought BMW didn’t have a 50/50 split from front to back.

That would be power split you’re referring to. To be honest I don’t fully understand the inner workings of a differential. But essentially it allows a differential of speed across it. In a turn obviously the inside wheels move slower than the outside wheels, the differential allows that to happen. Same deal as front to back on AWD. For an extreme example if you U-turn the front wheels travel further than the rear as they have to make a larger arc. Putting different sized tires on the front vs rear would be like turning constantly all day long as far as the Center diff is concerned. Resulting in heat and added wear.

But I am glad the city compensated you.
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-19-2017 at 08:05 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

To be honest I don’t fully understand the inner workings of a differential.
    Clearly. Replacing all 4 tires because you had to buy a new one is ludicrous on an awd vehicle. We are talking at worst on most street tires, a 8/32" of a difference in tire height (1/4"). That is the MAXIMUM difference you could ever possibly see (brand new car tire, 11/32 tread depth, completely worn tire that needs to be replaced, 3/32 tread depth). Typically, you'll never see more than a 1/8" difference.

In one mile, that is an extra FIVE revolutions of the tire (or two revolutions if using a much more likely 1/8" difference), not accounting for the fact that any additional wear/heat of differentials would be split because there are multiple diffs to go through. It also doesn't account for the fact that tires slip, even in a straight line, as they also do when changing lanes, turning corners, etc.

Essentially, its a non-issue that tire manufacturers sell gullible people like you on to sell more tires. And it clearly works.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Fucking Nenshi...

Wait a minute.
    Name:  6toosoon.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  96.3 KB

The key is to start blaming Nenshi for everything at around the 2.5 to 3 year mark so that it's fresh in the minds of voters through year 4.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Most AWD cars these days are FWD most of the time meaning you will never get even wear from front to back but as long as you rotate within the manufacturer recommendations you have nothing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Clearly. Replacing all 4 tires because you had to buy a new one is ludicrous on an awd vehicle. We are talking at worst on most street tires, a 8/32" of a difference in tire height (1/4"). That is the MAXIMUM difference you could ever possibly see (brand new car tire, 11/32 tread depth, completely worn tire that needs to be replaced, 3/32 tread depth). Typically, you'll never see more than a 1/8" difference.

In one mile, that is an extra FIVE revolutions of the tire (or two revolutions if using a much more likely 1/8" difference), not accounting for the fact that any additional wear/heat of differentials would be split because there are multiple diffs to go through. It also doesn't account for the fact that tires slip, even in a straight line, as they also do when changing lanes, turning corners, etc.

Essentially, its a non-issue that tire manufacturers sell gullible people like you on to sell more tires. And it clearly works.
    Manufacturers set % difference allowable between tires. Not tire companies....

I would never buy all four if they were within the manufacturer allowable limit obviously.

Your math doesn’t work obviously as the radius of the tire matters. ie: an 1/8 of an inch matters more on a civic tire/wheel combination than a F350. Percent of the radius is what matters.

For a 205/50/17 in a mile the new tire would turn 804 and at 1/8th wear it would turn 812. Probably fine.

Again, know the manufacturers specs and stay within them. I know some manufacturers claim tight specs Subaru i think claimed 1/4” circumference difference on the impreza although that is probably to error on the safe side.

Either way a service rep saying to prevent this you need to replace both fronts at once is not only bogus it is probably worse
    Last edited by J-hop; 10-20-2017 at 05:29 PM.