Quantcast
Baby stuff - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Baby stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    just had our baby last week. more details about sleep training please? is sleepsense an app or something? Obviously don't think it will help us now since he needs to feed at night, but would like to look into it now when we can start doing this.
    it's never too early to start good sleep habits. but full on sleep training shouldnt really be done until 2-3 months (both of mine were sleeping 11-12 hours before they hit 3 months). sleepsense is a book/method/person - https://sleepsense.net/
    i think it's like $50 or something for the book and you get access to ask her questions and stuff too. she has a podcast as well. this is just the one we went with based on a recommendation and it worked great. there are others. Kitty Raymond is local but she is hardcore. basically her sleep training can be summed up in one sentence: put them in the room, shut the door and let them cry and dont go back in the room, period. a bit too hard for some people.

I would get the book NOW and start reading.

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

We sleep trained my daughter when she was around 9-10 months, the key for her was she needed to be a certain weight before we stopped the middle of the night bottle. After that, we began.
    It was so easy, my husband on the first night wanted to rush to her not me. I always thought it would be the other way around.

Whatever method you use, be consistent during the day and night. Who ever watches your child needs to be on the same page as you otherwise it's all a waste of time.
    I did the SleepEasy Solution, it was more detail with steps and i needed that.

My Ride
    2005 F350

sleep training is definitely harder on the parents than it is on the kids.

my daughter was sleeping on her own through the night at 3 months. put her in her crib and walk out. it was great! but the 4-5 nights of hearing my baby girl cry was torture for me.

my son took 3 nights and he was done. easy peasy. they both slept through the night until teething started. ugh.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Quote Originally Posted by SOAB View Post
    sleep training is definitely harder on the parents than it is on the kids.

my daughter was sleeping on her own through the night at 3 months. put her in her crib and walk out. it was great! but the 4-5 nights of hearing my baby girl cry was torture for me.

my son took 3 nights and he was done. easy peasy. they both slept through the night until teething started. ugh.
    I know I will be crying as well when we start sleep training. My poor husband. LOL

ITA that children thrive on consistency and routine. Sleep training will be a priority for us.

This thread has lots of great advice! It is all appreciated.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

It's been said but go on kijiji! Firstly, everything is a fraction of the price you would buy brand new in stores on online. This of course if you don't mind second hand. Secondly, you will go through things so quickly that it's not worth the price you pay brand new. I bought cute clothes brand new and honestly, my kid has worn these clothes once. So not worth buying it brand new unless you're a baller and don't care that you'll be getting rid of it in a couple of weeks.

We bought literally bags of clothes for like 10 or 20 bux and there are actually so many cool and cute clothes in there and the ones that we didn't like, we just gave to other people who had kids the same age. Also, we had friends whose kids have grown up and their old clothes were the same size as our kid's so we used those and then passed them on.

You'll save heaps of cash and probably find some pretty awesome clothes in the process. But if you like buying brand new, hey, it's your cash!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

sleep training, if done right and consistently, is a lifetime skill. teething, whatever else, should not impact it. in extreme teething situations (2 or 3 nights in total) we went and got our son, gave him some tylenol or whatever, soothed him for 10 mins, put him back down and he slept the rest of the night. But we've been through teething, transition to a non-crib bed, potty training, all the stuff that can mess up sleep, and we've been good. We have maybe 1 hard night every 4-6 months, like if one of them is up sick puking or something.

also alot of parents are worried (I was one of them) about making sure their baby is getting enough to eat, and they think they shouldnt go a whole 11-12 hours without a feed. there is alot of conflicting info out there, but there is some real science that says once they are 12-13 pounds, not only can they fast through the night, but they actually should - it's good for them. obviously for some babies, if they have health issues it's a different story. but for a normal healthy baby they dont need to eat throughout the night once they get to that 12-13 pound weight.

anyway, I'm not an expert but me and my wife were pretty hardcore. we read multiple books, watched videos, listened to podcasts and stuck with it through the difficult times (sleep training is not easy), so PM me if you have questions. I liked Sleepsense because it is very prescriptive, and has alot of specific direction in a step by step fashion. and the author is really positive and makes you feel better about what you're doing in those moments that you feel defeated or like you are doing something wrong.

the last thing I'll say - alot of people give up on sleep training or only follow it 80%, which wont work. it's hard. it requires discipline and it will absolutely interrupt your life more than you might like. Naps have to be regimented, bed time routines very consistent. in the early days, when babies nap like 3-4 times per day, we would only ever let one of those naps be in the stroller/car seat, the rest were always in their cribs, and bed time was at the same time and at home with the same routine, 29 out of 30 days of the month.
    Last edited by timdog; 10-24-2017 at 03:23 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Our go to for sleepers was Superstore! The Joe Fresh ones were decent and quite cheap. No need for $40+ sleepers when they end up with shit stains or puke.

For other items, we liked:

-Chicco Keyfit 30 bucket car seat
    -Diono convertible car seats
    -City Select Stroller (Its expandabe, so no need to buy another if you have a second kid)
    -Peg perego high chair (Easy to clean.. )
    -Baby Bjorn balance chair (Comfy, bounces, easy to move, both boys loved it)
    -Any electronic swing chair (This might have saved our sanity)
    -Chariot Stroller (Great for winter, or being active, but tougher to move in tight spaces--grocery stores, malls etc)

We shopped at a mix of Kacz, WestCoast kids and of course Kijiji.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Always found Kirkland diapers fit best (better than brand name). Liked clothes from superstore. Best stroller of the five we went through was a basic graco from Walmart. All other stuff was ikea or used.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Hybrid

The Pekkle brand sleepers at Costco are way better quality than any other sleepers we bought or had handed down plus they're cheap.

Get a cheap audio only baby monitor and a china IP camera (hikvision, etc)+tinycam app for looking in when needed, then you can repurpose the camera later.

I stalked used Chariots daily with a kijiji alert for over a year. The only decent savings were on old models or ratty faded ones stored outside, otherwise people were listing at 60-90% of MSRP. Better off to wait for the Bow Cycle blue light sale and get a brand new one for 20% off.

I would skip the electronic swing. Tons of people recommended it, so we bought a fancy Mamaroo swing (again new on sale because the resale market is ridiculous, 60-80% of MSRP unless you want a 5 year old model), but all of the sleep training methods say to avoid sleep aides or "crutches", so we barely used ours.
    Last edited by Strider; 10-25-2017 at 09:06 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    -Baby Bjorn balance chair (Comfy, bounces, easy to move, both boys loved it)
    This looks like something that would help us. Let me know if anyone has one of these in good condition they are willing to part with! They aren't too bad brand new ($210 on amazon) but cheaper is always better

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Unfortunately we sold ours to my brother in law.. they worked great on the floor during dinner as you could rock it with your foot while eating.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This looks like something that would help us. Let me know if anyone has one of these in good condition they are willing to part with! They aren't too bad brand new ($210 on amazon) but cheaper is always better
    I have them on clearance right now, 6 colours in stock!
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Anyone need carseat? I have a Chicco Keyfit 30 bucket seat in red with 2 bases, and a stroller adapter (keeping the stroller). My kid has grown out of it. It is about 1 year old, good condition, purchased from Kacz's kids, no accidents. It is just taking up space - send me a PM if there's any interest. Don't feel like going through the hassle of kijiji.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Hey, expecting our first kid and need to get basically everything. What store is owned by a beyonder?

Any tips? Haha
    Congrats

My Ride
    14 fit, 11 Ridgeline, 12 outlander

https://m.costco.ca/Graco-4Ever-4-in...100371525.html

Great deal if you have 2 cars and want to be 1 and done with car seats also 25 bucks off if you sign up for masterpass. Also one of the highest rated safety seats.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Anyone need carseat? I have a Chicco Keyfit 30 bucket seat in red with 2 bases, and a stroller adapter (keeping the stroller). My kid has grown out of it. It is about 1 year old, good condition, purchased from Kacz's kids, no accidents. It is just taking up space - send me a PM if there's any interest. Don't feel like going through the hassle of kijiji.
    Chicco carseat, anyone? Please take it.....$Free.99

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Quote Originally Posted by CLiVE View Post
    Chicco carseat, anyone? Please take it.....$Free.99
    Spoken for. Thanks. Glad I could help someone out.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Hey Guys.

My wife and I just had our First baby 2 weeks ago and have been totally frustrated with car seats and I was hoping you guys have had some experience with the couple we have narrowed it down to.

Clek Foonf or the Diono Rainier

the seat will be installed in my Tundra CrewMax

Any pros or cons would be greatly appreciated

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'll recommend what I always recommend. Cheap common brand, best is Graco. High end baby shit is a total waste of money, isn't safer, and usually isn't as durable and easy to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

I totally agree we currently have the Graco click connect bucket and I am quite happy with it. we have found a lot of car seats don't adjust in the center clip of the 5 point harness and with that people complain about the lap belts rubbing on the tops of the legs causing discomfort. the two seats we have narrowed it down to have a bit of different design and they allow more adjustment and space available space, from what we can tell using the stores dummy baby. we could be out to lunch but My wife does not really want to buy one and then it rubs on the kid as they grow witch forces us to replace it over and over.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast