Quantcast
Condo bylaws: consequences of breaking a bylaw? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Condo bylaws: consequences of breaking a bylaw?

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by Star1995 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone forgets something once in a while Study the by-laws and find that one or two obscure rules that everyone breaks, keep a close eye on your neighbours especially the ones on the board. When they forget about one of the by-laws and break the rules; pounce on them. Document the infraction, take pictures and file a complaint.

I was just reading something on condosincalgary.com and they mention that "Patios and balconies in apartment and most townhouse-style condominiums are common property, just like the lobby and the hallways, so smoking—of anything—is prohibited through the Bylaws." Seems strange but if true just find a board member that smokes on his balcony, take a picture and file a complaint.

That's why recent years condo board members hide in secret meetings, tucking behind "privacy act" for non-disclosure of board members/unit.

It's a mini government for sure. I'd say 50/50 good/bad apples with condo boards

DON'T FUCK WITH THE CONDO BOARDS. Follow the rules or move out

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket1k78 View Post
    DON'T FUCK WITH THE CONDO BOARDS. Follow the rules or move out
    Yup. Don't pay fines, don't follow rules, there could be lien against your property which make selling a hassle.

My Ride
    2007 Infiniti G35S

Quote Originally Posted by Star1995 View Post
    Everyone forgets something once in a while Study the by-laws and find that one or two obscure rules that everyone breaks, keep a close eye on your neighbours especially the ones on the board. When they forget about one of the by-laws and break the rules; pounce on them. Document the infraction, take pictures and file a complaint.

I was just reading something on condosincalgary.com and they mention that "Patios and balconies in apartment and most townhouse-style condominiums are common property, just like the lobby and the hallways, so smoking—of anything—is prohibited through the Bylaws." Seems strange but if true just find a board member that smokes on his balcony, take a picture and file a complaint.
    This is incorrect, most by-laws state patios and balconies as PRIVACY areas which owners can smoke on. Every condos bylaws are going to be different, if by-laws are referring to patios and balconies as common area, its usually in regards to who pays for repairs/regular maintenance to them.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I’m having a hard time understanding the entitlement of the OP... You know the rules, and are trying to circumvent them. This isn’t a new bylaw that’s passed since you moved in. What does everyone else do with their garbage? Just do that.

I agree that cans in the driveway are ugly as shit, but I don’t live in a condo I live in a house, so I put them on the side of my house behind the side gate so they’re completely hidden from view. You don’t have that option, so figure something else out.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Unfortunately, while condo living is cheaper you are restricted by a lot of rules - and sometimes those rules don't make sense to everyone. However, if they are written they can be enforced so to the OP, I would simply follow the rules regardless of whether you agree with them, and be happy that one day you'll be living in a house. (Which is subject to bylaws of it's own, but are generally not as needlessly specific nor as likely to be enforced unless a neighbour complains)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx Mazda View Post
    I’m having a hard time understanding the entitlement of the OP... You know the rules, and are trying to circumvent them. This isn’t a new bylaw that’s passed since you moved in. What does everyone else do with their garbage? Just do that.

I agree that cans in the driveway are ugly as shit, but I don’t live in a condo I live in a house, so I put them on the side of my house behind the side gate so they’re completely hidden from view. You don’t have that option, so figure something else out.
    Assuming you're living in a home here the pick-up is in the front you'd probably be in the minority in placing your bins out of sight - most of the front collection homes I've seen just place them somewhere in their front yard, really junks up the appearance of those properties.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Yes my pick up is in the front. Coventry Hills. While there is one dreg in my culdesac who leaves them in his driveway, everyone else puts them out of sight once they are emptied. Especially important now with that gay third bin for compost...

Coventry Hills, hey you're in the NE. Perfectly acceptable to keep them out front, no?
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Just pay the fine and follow the bylaws. The amount of crap board have to deal with because people feel they are above the rules is ridiculous. Im on a board to ensure that the corporations finances are in good standing and that we are making sound financial decisions. Not to hound people to recycle properly, park properly or act properly.
    Boards have a duty to enforce the bylaws. Even if they are not dicks all it takes is that one neighbor to report it and the board has to act.

Yes the fines are real. You can be sent to collections or have an estoppel placed against your unit. Even if the board doesn't go that far, if you go to sell the buyer will make you clear up any money owed to the corporation.

The board can't make you sell. The board can evict you, even as an owner, likely they would just have you removed from the property. But generally there needs to be at least threats of violence. Also if they take you to court you could be responsible for all or a portion of their court costs.

If you think the bylaw is stupid petition to have it changed. Generally it costs a few thousand dollars to have the bylaws ammended and you need a petition with something like 75% of owners signatures.
    everything this guy is saying is right. people really need to do a full comprehensive review of their condo documents before they purchase one, and then stay on top of activities. at a minimum go to the AGMs, but ideally join the board.

Source: I do condo consulting (and condo document reviews). I'm not marketing my business here, but let's just say... alot of condo document reviewers basically just put all the docs together and put them in a binder for you. do yourself a favor and get them comprehensively reviewed, and hold the reviewers feet to the fire if they dont break it down for you or provide actual insight that tells you something you didn't already know. I've even done reviews for people long after they purchased and moved into the condo, but are seeing questionable things and want an outsider to give some insight.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Coventry Hills, hey you're in the NE. Perfectly acceptable to keep them out front, no?
    Sure if you wanted to, but am I that fucking lazy that I can’t roll a bin out to the street once a week?

I'm surprised no ones mentioned anything on the admin fee they want to charge you on top of the fine. I'm on multiple condo boards and have never seen this.

Do your condo bylaws allow a property manager to charge this? I assume the admin fee goes to the property manager and not the board. Why would the board not issue a $200 fine? They already pay the property manager to manage the community.

Boards can issue daily fines for repeated violations. They can evict tenants and force owners to sell in very very serious cases but they cant force an owner to pay a random charge like an admin fee on a bylaw infraction unless it's specified.

I'd be curious to hear their explanation on the admin fee as your condo fees pay for the management of the community.

Source please. When you say most do you mean most of them that you've lived in, most in Calgary, most in the core?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2