Quantcast
Parking on grass in backyard - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Parking on grass in backyard

My Ride
    MR2

Default Parking on grass in backyard

Is this allowed? Can't seem to find info. A buddy of mine is renting a house and I sometimes park my motorcycle up on his sidewalk leading to the front door. He got an email from the landlord stating that there's been complaints about the motorcycle and his truck, and that it's illegal to park either on the property. The bylaw from what I've read only states vehicles on grass on the front lawn are prohibited. It doesn't state anything about backyard (grass), or parking on pavement up front.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Bylaw or otherwise why would you park in the front yard? Why not on the street like everyone else.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

May be he is holding a concours d elegance.

My Ride
    MR2

Less risk of theft or being touched.. Especially on a busy street full of school kids walking by

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Backyard is perfectly legal.

He's not parking his truck on the front grass though is he?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by MR2-3SGTE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Less risk of theft or being touched.. Especially on a busy street full of school kids walking by
    Especially if you are in the kind of neighborhood where people park on their lawn!

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I thought there was a bylaw that was designed to clean up white trash properties? Basically even if you have a current registered vehicle it can get towed if it’s in your yard?

My Ride
    MR2

Only the bike parked up front, truck in back only. Not sure why people on beyond always have difficulty reading, it was clear that the bike is parked on pavement, not lawn. Does the bylaw apply to both? States lawn on the website

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Only the bike parked up front, truck in back only. Not sure why people on beyond always have difficulty reading, it was clear that the bike is parked on pavement
    Nobody disputed that What wasn't clear, was if your buddy was parking his truck on the front lawn.

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Out of sight out of mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Shlade View Post
    Out of sight out of mind?
    That and they might take issue with you driving over the sidewalk to get on the front lawn (if you have a sidewalk).

No idea if rear is illegal, is it different than a parking pad?

A vehicle can only be parked in the front yard if it is on driveway or parking stall that is covered with pavement, concrete or any other hard surface (brick, gravel) - a motorcycle in a sidewalk in the front yard would be parked illegally.

Back yards are fair game.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

If he’s renting and parking on the grass, be ready to be on the hook for fixing the lawn. Damage from parking on the grass wouldn’t be covered under normal wear and tear, especially after being told not to
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    If he’s renting and parking on the grass, be ready to be on the hook for fixing the lawn. Damage from parking on the grass wouldn’t be covered under normal wear and tear, especially after being told not to
    Unless it states it is deemed a parking spot in the agreement. I rented a place that allowed this and when I moved I didn't have to do anything.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

it was clear that the bike is parked on pavement, not lawn.
    I sometimes park my motorcycle up on his sidewalk leading to the front door.
    Really? Its clear is it? You say sidewalk, and then pavement. Before getting all shitty, maybe get your own story straight

Complaints can be filed about anything. Bylaw complaints come with a fine after the first warning. In short, don't make the landlords place look like a shit hole. Afraid of getting your bike stolen? The grown up answer is don't take your f&$king bike to your friend's place if you can't park it on the street.

My Ride
    2005 F350

if i was the landlord, i'd be pissed that your buddy is parking his vehicle on the grass, instead of the street or garage where vehicles belong.

you wonder why renters get such a bad reputation? because of people like you and your buddy.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    MR2

Thanks for input, there is a garage but the landlord hasn't given him access to it. Street parking requires a a city permit, which he's not able to get because he doesn't have enough proof of being a resident, and the landlord isn't providing one to him. I understand if the landlord doesn't want backyard parking for the sake of saving the grass, but they only mentioned that it's illegal. It wasn't mentioned in the lease agreement. My bike is parked on the walkway leading up to the house, not on the public city owned sidewalk. Not sure if that's considered pavement?

Again, I'm only looking at this in terms of the law, because that's all the landlord mentioned. Whether or not it's against the lease agreement is irrelevant.

My Ride
    Bicycle

If you are parking on lawn on a place that you don't own. You are a bad renter regardless if it's legal or not.

Front lawns are private property and The City’s Land Use Bylaw states, “vehicles may only be parked in the actual front setback area when the vehicle is located on a driveway or motor vehicle parking stall that is surfaced with asphalt, concrete or similar hard surface”.
    So a motorcycle on walkway is also illegal. Only legal if you have a front parking pad.

0/2. Park your truck and bike on the street in front of your house. Case closed.

Thanks for input, there is a garage but the landlord hasn't given him access to it. Street parking requires a a city permit, which he's not able to get because he doesn't have enough proof of being a resident, and the landlord isn't providing one to him. I understand if the landlord doesn't want backyard parking for the sake of saving the grass, but they only mentioned that it's illegal. It wasn't mentioned in the lease agreement. My bike is parked on the walkway leading up to the house, not on the public city owned sidewalk. Not sure if that's considered pavement?

Again, I'm only looking at this in terms of the law, because that's all the landlord mentioned. Whether or not it's against the lease agreement is irrelevant.

Well so the front is permitted and landlord while not a fault, is an ass too for not helping to get you a permit. I assume he suggested you park wherever parking is allowed within a 5 block radius? Should have make clear of parking situation before you signed the lease.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Street parking requires a a city permit, which he's not able to get because he doesn't have enough proof of being a resident, and the landlord isn't providing one to him.
    What? All he needs is his license/ registration in this address, which he is legally required to change if he is living there. A simple 5 minute stop at any registry.

My Ride
    MR2

Thanks, he's only in Calgary for school, so I don't think it's required to change a license and registration address. As for the backyard, it is very poorly maintained with rocks and pebbles placed over the grass, so I doubt the lawn care would be the landlords priority. He was only speaking in terms of the law, which is all I was asking about. Will pass the info onto him