Quantcast
looking at buying a tv - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: looking at buying a tv

My Ride
    changes every year

Default looking at buying a tv

so I've been noticing that my 7 year old 58" plasma is burning everything these days and it's starting to really annoy me.

I was going to wait and see what's out there but I came across this...
    https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10561664.aspx?

super cheap tv that I think will work for me. some notes are that I use an android box so I don't need a smart tv. I don't have 3D anything so that's not an issue.

can anyone give me a good reason not to get this tv? other than it's smaller than what I want...(I want a 60")

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

$70 more gets you a Haier 55" 4K at Costco.

https://www.costco.ca/Haier-55E5500U...100300265.html

It's a great TV for the money, we picked one up for our aunt in her nursing home. A little overkill for her haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Whoa not bad. The only thing I notice for personal preference is that it's 60hz and not 120hz but this might be a negligible feature to some.

I've thought about getting a 70"+ Visio this year haha.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

For that price you can't go wrong..... buy it
    I've got the 65" Haier. Got that for $820 with the Costco 5 year warranty. Awesome TV for the price
    Some of the guys on RFD bitch about it but I've been using it for just about a year now and I still think its the best bang for buck I've ever gotten for a TV

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $70 more gets you a Haier 55" 4K at Costco.

https://www.costco.ca/Haier-55E5500U...100300265.html

It's a great TV for the money, we picked one up for our aunt in her nursing home. A little overkill for her haha.
    how often is it that I'll see(and have one working) 4k on an android box? is it worth it?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    I've thought about getting a 70"+ Visio this year haha.
    I picked up a 65" 4K Vizio M series last month and have been thoroughly impressed by the picture quality after calibration. Great TVs for the money if you care about picture quality.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    how often is it that I'll see(and have one working) 4k on an android box? is it worth it?
    Who cares. It's $70 for future proofing. There's already a ton of 4K content out there.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Watching sports or movies on a low end LED will really piss you off coming from a plasma. The blurry motion is brutal on all LED's but really bad on the low end ones. Make sure you spend a lot of time watching different material on the screen in the store. And personally I wouldn't buy so cheap. If you keep it for ~7 years like your current TV you will be pissed if you cheap out. Spend decent money and get something larger than your current one, not smaller.

I am not looking forward to when my 65" Panasonic plasma starts to go.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I picked up a 65" 4K Vizio M series last month and have been thoroughly impressed by the picture quality after calibration. Great TVs for the money if you care about picture quality.
    Ah nice, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I'll do a bit more research between the M, D, and E series. Anything in particular to look for when you made your choice? Did you get an extended warranty for yours?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Ah nice, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I'll do a bit more research between the M, D, and E series. Anything in particular to look for when you made your choice? Did you get an extended warranty for yours?
    I researched every TV available from Visions, Best Buy and Costco in the 65" 4K range. Did my research off rtings.com and the Vizio P65-E0 was the best for my needs at the price range I'm looking for.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/viz...ries-xled-2017

They break down absolutely everything in their reviews, and include calibrated settings that are nearly spot on out of the box. I'm sure what you want in a TV is different than what I want, so yea, use their site reviews to figure out what works best.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    For that price you can't go wrong..... buy it
    I've got the 65" Haier. Got that for $820 with the Costco 5 year warranty. Awesome TV for the price
    Some of the guys on RFD bitch about it but I've been using it for just about a year now and I still think its the best bang for buck I've ever gotten for a TV
    Thats quite the steal.

I ended up going for the 65' Samsung from Costco 3 years ago (I wanted the Samsung to connect to my cell phone). I think it was around $1500. I could not find that size/brand anywhere for that price. I remember lumping it all the up to Cross Iron to buy it (I live in the south). Then once I bought it I had not figured how I was going to get it home (I guess I was too excited).

Definitely use rtings. I got this delivered last week. It's the same as this year's model and you can get the new remote for free.

https://m.costco.ca/Vizio-P65-C1-65-...100299672.html

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    I am not looking forward to when my 65" Panasonic plasma starts to go.
    You probably have to dump some cash on an OLED unit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    You probably have to dump some cash on an OLED unit.
    Even some OLEDs has motion blur. To match what you're used to on plasma, you will need to get an OLED that does black frame insertion to really eliminate motion blur. LCD's with black frame insertion comes close enough IMO at a lower price point.

My Ride
    ute

Man I miss my plasmas.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

LED's have really closed the gap in the last 2 years on motion blur. Decided to watch some hockey last night on my new Vizio to gauge how bad motion blur was. On Bell, it's terrible as usual, but it's the source that's bad. Pausing passes, the puck is completely blurry still frame on pretty much every puck pass, which is where the motion blur was coming from. Switched to NHL app to watch a game in 60fps, and mid speed passes, zero blur. High speed passes, light blur. Paused and confirmed it's blurred from the source as well.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

+1 for Vizio M and P series sets. I have an M, the P has some more features for sure, but you lose a bit of the bang for your buck at that point. I wouldn't do the D or E for the price to move to an M. And you get the fantastic Costco warranty cheap!
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I'm watching the price on a 65" LG OLED this year. There have been some people who were able to get the newest B7/C7 model for $3000+tax in Ontario. Hoping that price will show up here for black friday.

There is a worry of burn in though. rtings is currently doing a long-term burn in test for the oled panels, but no real results yet.

I bought an OLED55E7P LG OLED 55" with the integral sound bar a short time ago. This is must my opinion, but going with the 65" Vizios that Rage is mentioning, calibrating them, etc, ends up with a 4k TV that is very close in the quality of the picture IMO as the much more expensive OLED models. YMMV, but try and see an OLED LG (or the rarer Sonys) next to a good 4k Vizio/whatever, before making a decision.

You really can't go wrong with the Vizio 4k 65" out there now, IMO it's the best value for the money for 4k sets now.

The LG 55" OLED was $3200 with free shipping and on sale from Amazon. The Vizio 65" M 4k is under 1/2 that price.

If I could return the LG and buy 2 Vizios, I would. Dancing with bells on. NOT all that impressed with the LG OLED for the cost. It's ok, don't get me wrong, it is an impressive picture, but for the 2x cost - no effing way.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 10-28-2017 at 04:18 PM.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I posted previously in a similar thread as I also own a Vizio M and P series and don't think you can go wrong when it comes to dollar value. Like Rage mentioned after calibration (the rtratings calibrations are near perfect for my use) the PQ on both TV's is top notch. The recent update to the sets also made a huge improvement on HDR on the M series so its icing on the cake. With the Costco warranty on both I'm laughing for the next few years.

I bought last year however so both of my sets came with the android tablet remote, I have a harmony hub on both sets so i don't use the tablet very often which is probably why I am so high on the sets. I could imagine using that tablet remote daily to be a big piss off so I am so glad they moved away from it.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast