Quantcast
looking at buying a tv - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: looking at buying a tv

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The only reason to go OLED is if you have issues with black levels. That’s pretty much the only area where OLED is visibly ahead of LED. You can cram as many dimming zones as you want in an LED, still can’t compare to the per pixel level of OLEDs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I know some may not like Samsung, but I picked this up this weekend at costco. Saved $700+ on it. https://www.costco.ca/Samsung-UN65MU...100352126.html

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man I miss my plasmas.
    My brother got a 4K Samsung TV (about $3000 back in the day) and hes pissed that my 200$ Plasma TV has better picture quality...... lol

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    My brother got a 4K Samsung TV (about $3000 back in the day) and hes pissed that my 200$ Plasma TV has better picture quality...... lol
    I have a $600 Plasma (One of the $999 ones on sale) and I've been holding onto it for the same reason haha. Better overall PQ than any LCD TV I have seen outside of the ultra high end. So glad I decided to snag it before they became completely extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    I could imagine using that tablet remote daily to be a big piss off so I am so glad they moved away from it.
    You can get the new remote for free here...

https://support.vizio.com/s/remote?language=en_CA

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    I posted previously in a similar thread as I also own a Vizio M and P series and don't think you can go wrong when it comes to dollar value. Like Rage mentioned after calibration (the rtratings calibrations are near perfect for my use) the PQ on both TV's is top notch. The recent update to the sets also made a huge improvement on HDR on the M series so its icing on the cake. With the Costco warranty on both I'm laughing for the next few years.

I bought last year however so both of my sets came with the android tablet remote, I have a harmony hub on both sets so i don't use the tablet very often which is probably why I am so high on the sets. I could imagine using that tablet remote daily to be a big piss off so I am so glad they moved away from it.
    Funny you mention the tablet remote, I hated that thing. It was buggy, and very inconsistent. I just use my phone, with the new upgraded remote app, and it has been flawless and responsive. I ordered the free remote upgrade, but I'll see little reason to use it when the android app works so well now. It was a complete 180. Its also nice that they added a "smartscreen" to the smartcast input
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by outsider View Post
    I know some may not like Samsung, but I picked this up this weekend at costco. Saved $700+ on it. https://www.costco.ca/Samsung-UN65MU...100352126.html
    I love Samsung TVs, and this was my first choice but I needed 4 HDMI inputs and it only had 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    I have a $600 Plasma (One of the $999 ones on sale) and I've been holding onto it for the same reason haha. Better overall PQ than any LCD TV I have seen outside of the ultra high end. So glad I decided to snag it before they became completely extinct.
    For you Plasma holdouts, it’s gotten to the point (IMO) where the advantages of 4K and HDR are big enough to overcome the narrowing motion and black level gaps to plasma. Will there be a point where you guys will just give up and move on?
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Yea once xbox really becomes 4k (meaning that its standard like 1080p with most of the games being 60 fps 4k) ill probably move up to a good unit.... thats 95% of what I use it for now.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Yea once xbox really becomes 4k (meaning that its standard like 1080p with most of the games being 60 fps 4k) ill probably move up to a good unit.... thats 95% of what I use it for now.
    I don't even game much, but that's pretty much my benchmark for upgrading to 4k. To me, the cost still outweighs the benefits.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I picked up a 65" 4K Vizio M series last month and have been thoroughly impressed by the picture quality after calibration. Great TVs for the money if you care about picture quality.
    When you say calibration, are you referring to a full blown professional ISF calibration, or simply DIY tweaking of user settings to your liking, or somewhere in between?

For you Plasma holdouts, it’s gotten to the point (IMO) where the advantages of 4K and HDR are big enough to overcome the narrowing motion and black level gaps to plasma. Will there be a point where you guys will just give up and move on?
    I'll have no choice but to move on when the Plasma breaks or fails haha, so I guess that will be when. After that I will just buy bargain 4K/HDR sets as big as I can get (Vizio or similar), and use a projector when I am feeling snobby about PQ. The Plasma is also a huge pain to transport, but thankfully that isn't too frequent.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    When you say calibration, are you referring to a full blown professional ISF calibration, or simply DIY tweaking of user settings to your liking, or somewhere in between?
    Start with a baseline (someone else's calibration settings), then tweak as necessary to get the colors dialed in. I have a couple of movies that I use as reference over the years to get the color just right. I have found that in the last 2 years, the published settings online are already 99% accurate, which means consistency is near perfect from panel to panel.

I'll have no choice but to move on when the Plasma breaks or fails haha, so I guess that will be when. After that I will just buy bargain 4K/HDR sets as big as I can get (Vizio or similar), and use a projector when I am feeling snobby about PQ. The Plasma is also a huge pain to transport, but thankfully that isn't too frequent.
    Yea, was curious because I had a couple friends who were CRT and CRTRP holdouts, massive honking TV cabinet in the living room cracked me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Inzane View Post
    You can also DIY if you have a colorimeter like an X-Rite Eye One. It takes a long time but you can get a perfect calibration. You set it up pointed at the screen and there is software that tells you measured colors vs ideal colors and you just adjust the settings accordingly until they match up. Same for grey scales, gamma, etc. Most people are happy with a quick & dirty calibration though, or just leaving it alone if it's decent from the factory. Unless the TV is going into a dedicated, critical viewing environment (where many people are probably using projectors anyway) the benefits of a full calibration for greatly diminished unless the display is way off.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

You can also DIY if you have a colorimeter like an X-Rite Eye One. It takes a long time but you can get a perfect calibration. You set it up pointed at the screen and there is software that tells you measured colors vs ideal colors and you just adjust the settings accordingly until they match up. Same for grey scales, gamma, etc. Most people are happy with a quick & dirty calibration though, or just leaving it alone if it's decent from the factory. Unless the TV is going into a dedicated, critical viewing environment (where many people are probably using projectors anyway) the benefits of a full calibration for greatly diminished unless the display is way off.
    That's what I used to do, it does take forever. I use Kill Bill Vol 1 as my primary reference these days, there's a couple scenes that really push all the colors across the spectrum to get it nailed down pretty well, the opening Bells scene, the Pussy Wagon interior, the anime scenes, the Honzo swords display, and finally the Yakuza dinner scene. Like I said, the published specs are pretty spot on these days, only have to tweak mid reds a little for skin tones, and that's it.

My Ride

Bah, there is always Kijiji. Mine is going on 5 years old now (bought at 4 years age, used 1 year).

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Yea, was curious because I had a couple friends who were CRT and CRTRP holdouts, massive honking TV cabinet in the living room cracked me up.
    That is funny because I held on to my 55" CRTRP Toshiba way longer than most people did. But the first plasma's and lcd's weren't nearly as good at the time. That TV weighed 208lbs!! I finally went with my first plasma around 2008/9ish and then in 14/15 when Panasonic said no more plasma I went out and picked up a 65" VT model which I have been very happy with (still cost about $3K back then).

I agree that in picture quality I would have no problem replacing this TV. But the motion still bothers me. I personally hope this TV lasts a few more years so the motion can catch up on newer sets. The one thing I would really like is to move up to 70 or 75". If I could have bought a bigger plasma at the time I would have.

But on topic, I am a huge fan of the Vizio models for bang for the buck. I think I have recommended them to about 4 people that all have them and love them.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Like I said, it’s worth checking out the motion of the new sets. Bring a USB stick with some high motion 4K 60fps sports content, plug it in and test it.

As for larger sizes, you’re going to have to settle for LCD, black frame insertion, local dimming and all the hacks to come close to plasma quality, unless you have way too much money to spend.

I was looking at this tv over the weekend;

Sony 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (XBR65X900E)

Did anyone pick one up? The price seem to be the same in the B.B. stores, but only Visions had them in stock. But at Visions they seem to be pushing the Samsung, anyone know why? I had an old XBR back in the day and I was pretty happy with it, did the quality change or are Samsung’s just better these days?

My Ride
    Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Clever View Post
    I was looking at this tv over the weekend;

Sony 65" 4K UHD HDR LED Android Smart TV (XBR65X900E)

Did anyone pick one up? The price seem to be the same in the B.B. stores, but only Visions had them in stock. But at Visions they seem to be pushing the Samsung, anyone know why? I had an old XBR back in the day and I was pretty happy with it, did the quality change or are Samsung’s just better these days?
    cheaper at costco. better warranty
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

My Ride
    01 i30

I think Costco online has been sold out of the 900 even before Black Friday. They don’t sell them in-store either from what I say this past Friday. It was a popular TV this Black Friday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast