Quantcast
Structural engineer for post frame shop. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Structural engineer for post frame shop.

My Ride
    something green

Default Structural engineer for post frame shop.

Long story, sorry in advance...
    I am trying to find an engineer to stamp a set of drawings for a post frame shop on an acreage. Last year the alberta building code was changed, an engineers stamp is now required on a tall wall accessory building, apparently 12 foot+.
    The post frame building is advantageous because the posts act as the foundation, meaning no concrete footing required. It knocks the price of the building down substantially.
    I have had a set of drawings done by a materials supplier, who uses software that for the most part figures all the structural elements out to the building code.
    I've have gone through a pile of engineers that all say yes to the project when I send them the drawings, I agree to the price, they make some minor structural revisions to the drawings, the designer incorporates their changes. Its usually at about week 2 or 3 at this point into the process, where they send me a message saying they are to busy to complete it, or they just stop responding to phone messages and emails.
    I am about 3 months behind on this now, I talked to the MD about just doing the project and paying the fines or whatever, they aren't playing that game anymore and are making people adhere to the bylaw/codes.
    I've talked to the brand name builders of this style of structure, and they all say the same thing. They say to proceed with the building permit application as a agricultural usage storage structure, have the MD sign off on it, then come back a month later and finish the interior as a shop..
    The MD has grown wise to this, and is flagging structures done like this, and they will be deemed non compliant upon title transfer. The other problem is insuring the building with an improper designation/occupancy.
    I already have one of these buildings, it was done 6 years ago, no stamp necessary, it hasn't blown down or failed, there are probably thousands of these things in the MD, the MD is pointing the finger at the province for the changes it made to the code...
    Has anyone on here had one of these stamped? Anyone know a structural engineer that isn't a total flake?
    This isn't the exact building, but close to what I am trying to get built....

40'x72'x20'

Name:  postframe.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  320.9 KB
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

I'm sure that there is a P.Eng around here who could go through the drawings, make sure that it all works, and sign it. I'd be really curious why you can't keep an engineer though. It just seems weird. Maybe I am over-thinking it?
    Cos...

My Ride
    something green

It looks like a really simple structure on paper, a friend of mine who is an engineer, not a structural engineer though, said that once you get into the calcs for it, its not as straight forward as it looks. Also, all the structural people I talked to said the same thing initially, the building doesn't really need a stamp if its built to code, all it is, is a liability shift from the government to the engineers. It could be either one of those weighing on them when they decide to back out? As a customer willing to pay, its frustrating as all hell, I let them name their price, I didn't haggle it at all...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Silverado

Sounds like a good business opportunity for the supplier to provide stamped drawings. Good differentiatior. I would push it back on them. Market might not be big enough.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 10-27-2017 at 11:56 PM. Reason: To be clear on who should stamp

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Send me an email, I work with a great peng that may stamp it. I just want to see what you have for drawings first.

Nice shop btw
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    KTM

I recently used and engineer to stamp off on a build. Not as complex as this but he did the trick and I know he does bigger jobs outside of what he did for me. He was fast and provided me everything required to get signoff from the city. If you still haven't resolved this shoot me a PM and I can give you his contact info.