Quantcast
ExtraSlow's next trailer - Spending my insurance company's money - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ExtraSlow's next trailer - Spending my insurance company's money

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default ExtraSlow's next trailer - Spending my insurance company's money

So I joke a lot about doing well every time one of my vehicles get hit with hail, but this time I may have hit the jackpot. My travel trailer was hit with a really big storm this August and my insurance company has declared it a total loss. Interestingly because this travel trailer is insured under my property insurance and NOT my auto insurance, they are replacing it with brand new and not paying me the depreciated value. I hadn't realized it would work like this when I started my claim, but I've clarified with both my trusted broker and the claims rep from the insurance company.

Just to get this out of the way, yes I could keep the trailer, fix the portion of the damage that effect weather-tightness and pocket a cheque from the insurance company. This was honestly how I anticipated this going. In this case I'm entitled to the difference between the trailer value and the trailer "salvage" value, which works out to around $5500. That's a good deal.

However, for a replacement, they will pay me the full value of the trailer before it was damaged PLUS any additional amount up to the cost of the brand new trailer of "similar like, kind and quality" as long as I actually buy that brand new trailer. So that value is for round numbers $34,000. This is a better deal.

So step 1 is to get a quote for what a brand new "as-close-as-possible" replacement would be worth. I've done that, the insurance company has accepted that quote, so that's the $34,000 value that I'm working with.

Must-have features:
    - Under 31 feet bumper to ball (I have one spot I visit regularly that is quite short and this is not negotiable).
    - Bunkhouse layout
    - Under 9000 lbs Gross weight (this seems to be no problem, but thought I'd mention it)

Nice-to have features
    - "true" 60x80 queen master bed.
    - U-shaped dinette
    - lots of kitchen storage
    - Wife would love the bathroom sink outside the bathroom like our current trailer, but that seems not to be a thing anymore. Helps when kids are brushing teeth for bed.
    Outside sink/kitchen
    - "quality" components, although most seem to be built the same way to the same somewhat low standard. In the end anything new will be fine I'm sure.

Don't care about
    - TV. (I'd probably remove it if one came standard anyway. Like fuck I want my kids watching tv when we are camping.)

I never in a million years thought I'd be buying a brand new trailer. So I don't keep up on reputations, features, reliability or anything like that. Some of you guys know a lot more about it than me. Have been comparing everything to Jayco because that's what I have now and they seem fine and not the cheapest, which would scare me.

Models under consideration below:
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Last edited by ExtraSlow; 10-26-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Mind sharing which insurance company you're with? I'm going to need to review my policy...
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

My situation does seem somewhat rare. Definitely doesn't happen for anyone who insures trailers under a vehicle policy. If you talk to your trusted broker I'm sure they could outline which situations this would apply to.

Name:  hBYzphKX.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  7.4 KB

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I really like the last one (Grand Design one) if you can swing it! I definitely agree with going for the replacement. If you enjoy camping it saves the headache of trading or selling for a long time.

I recently went to a 6 foot shorter trailer as I wanted a smaller tow vehicle and the ability to fit in more spots. I went with a similar floor plan as you are looking at.

This is pretty much what I ended up with (I bought in 2014 and the model was slightly different):
    http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...elID=3164#Main

Something else to consider anyway. Price should be under $30K if that is an issue.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Also really like the look of this one
    2017 Jayco White Hawk 25bhs. https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...te-hawk/25bhs/
    http://http://m.autotrader.ca/a/5_28867762

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    This is pretty much what I ended up with (I bought in 2014 and the model was slightly different):
    http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...elID=3164#Main
    This is a 90"wide trailer instead of the more common 96" width. Hmmm

Grand Design seems pretty baller anyway. Haven't been in one yet.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone know how motivated the dealerships are to move old stock at this time of year? Lots of places are already advertising between eight and ten thousand off on thier 2017 units anyway, but how likely is it for me to negotiate another two, three or four grand off that if I'm willing to pay and drag it away in November? 2018 units are already on the ground most places, and the bulk of sales happen after the RV show in the new year I would think.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Apex Ultralight 235 BHS

http://www.westernrvcountry.com/prod...5bhs-568601-29

Love it. Easy to tow.

I also really liked the kodiaks. But they were a bit too much more.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I'm pretty sure your trailer was the one that got my wife hooked on the idea of a U-shaped dinette all those years ago. Is this the same one you had then or an update?

My Ride

It's the 2017 version of the one I have. I still love the U shaped dinette. It converts to a pretty comfy sleeping space as well.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

The 235BHS is actually the exact one I bought. I didn't see it when I quickly searched the other day. It is 6" narrower as you mentioned ExtraSlow but I actually really like it for towing and seeing around it. I tow mine with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and really like it. Don't miss having a longer one at all.

Nice thing about the Apex u-shaped dinettes is that the table is really big and you don't have to use it u-shaped. We normally keep the back part out.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    The 235BHS is actually the exact one I bought. I didn't see it when I quickly searched the other day. It is 6" narrower as you mentioned ExtraSlow but I actually really like it for towing and seeing around it. I tow mine with a Jeep Grand Cherokee and really like it. Don't miss having a longer one at all.

Nice thing about the Apex u-shaped dinettes is that the table is really big and you don't have to use it u-shaped. We normally keep the back part out.
    I agree. We have had 6 people around the dinette without issue. 2 kids at the end and 4 adults.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some kind of U-dinette is a must-have for us. One unit I really want to look at is the highland ridge Ut2504bh, but nobody in southern Alberta has it in stock yet. Have feelers out to uncle Ben in red deer and traveland in Airdrie about when they expect them in.

Still waiting for the salvage company to drag the old one away. Have been expecting them all week.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Apparently the salvage company is slowed down by the weather, and the fact they are towing this thing to Edmonton to auction it. I guess I'll try to be patient.

Another thing I should be considering, although it's not my plan, is resale value. I'm hoping to be back working full time in the new year and buying double-meat subs every day, but just in case I'm not, I would consider selling assets of value to free up cash-flow. Any ideas what features on a practically new trailer are valuable on the used market? Any idea what depreciation on a 6 month old, but current model year, trailer would be? 15%?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No thoughts on features or brands that would command a higher value in the resale market? Presumably the features that make it attractive for my family will also make it attractive for other families as well. But we have a lot of trailer users on this forum, what features would you see as bonuses if you were buying another trailer? What features do you wish your current trailer had?
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-06-2017 at 12:48 PM.

My Ride
    2005 F350

i don't have any suggestions for resale other than having bunks. opens up the market to families instead of just couples.

every buyer will have different needs and wants in a trailer. some spend lots of time inside, some just use it for sleeping, some won't cook inside and some will need a shitload of storage.

i think you should just buy a trailer that you and your family will love, and leave the worrying about resale out of it. good memories are priceless and the trailer is all about making those.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  20180119_114939~3.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  122.9 KB
    This followed me home today. Grand design imagine 2400bh from Woody's. Stopped at CAT scale to get a true empty weight before I put any gear in it. Trailer weighs 5740lbs with tongue weight of 560lbs. That'll go a long way up before I'm ready to camp.

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

Looks awesome behind that truck!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

That truck looks so good, but it's a piece of shit. Wish I could get another red one. Look for the 2018 tow rig thread soon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast