Quantcast
Best bank for small business loan? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best bank for small business loan?

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Restaurants are bad for lenders because the failure rate is so high. They are bad for investors because it is too easy for management to skim.
    Cash only fank you velly muchie.

My Ride
    Lease

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Has anyone crowd funded and got a restaurant to open? Lol
    Of course. https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/402...ght=Holy+smoke

When can we see pkpk chains popping up?

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

if you're looking for crowd funding, check out ATB BoostR https://atbboostr.ca/

Alberta based crowd funding, so you'd probably get more people interested in funding

My Ride
    Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by TomcoPDR View Post
    Please be the ones where you sit in a single booth by yourself. No social interactions needed. In, eat, pay, leave.
    Even better would be the kind where you order and pay on a machine before you sit down.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Restaurants are bad for lenders because the failure rate is so high. They are bad for investors because it is too easy for management to skim.
    Each time one closes another pops up in its place. It tells me there will always be someone willing to put in the hustle.

The question is, how do you wanna run it? Hire people? Do it yourself?

Consult TYMSMNY that guy is doing it right lol

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Each time one closes another pops up in its place.
    Yea, so someone buys out a restaurant for pennies on the dollar that has gone out of business, using loaned money from family and friends, renovates the interior themselves to make it suitable for the atmosphere they want, and it begins again.

I just have a hard time imagining a regular ol' bank funding a restaurant. Also, if being done privately, your personal finances will be used to backstop those loans through the small business program, so you still need to have current funding (or a job showing income). And you still have to have a SOLID business plan. It was pretty easy for me, as I actually had money coming in with my business and was able to show them how much revenue and projected net income for the year the business would produce. For a restaurant... well, I dunno.

It sounds super risky, and banks don't do super risky. But definitely talk with ATB, and report back if they like your idea as it would be interesting to get a better idea of their risk tolerance.

My Ride
    ute

Each time one closes another pops up in its place. It tells me there will always be someone willing to put in the hustle.

The question is, how do you wanna run it? Hire people? Do it yourself?

Consult TYMSMNY that guy is doing it right lol
    Same reason people like residential real estate as an investment. It's not because it's good, but because it's something that they look at all the time, so it appears obvious. (And for RE its the one area where a punter can actually utilize leverage.)

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

What do you need the money for?

More specifically, if you were to obtain the business loan, how would you be distributing the funds?
    - Leasehold improvements?
    - Equipment Purchases?
    - Franchise fees?

Depending on the purpose of funds, you may qualify for a CSBFL.
    It's similar to a CMHC Mortgage for residential purposes, where you pay a fee, like CMHC Insurance, and the institution lends you money.
    http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/csbfp-pfpec.nsf/eng/Home

They are quite specific as to what the purpose of the loan proceeds would be used for.

If you own a property, that has equity, and are willing to put it up as collateral, most banks shouldn’t have an issue lending you a regular small business loan.
    That being said, for a food services industry loan, you are going to need to put up more $$.

LTV on food services loans are usually lower than other industries.

ATB and BDC (www.bdc.ca) would probably be your best bets. BDC is a crown corporation and has incentive to lend out money.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Banks don't do super risky. But there is a Gov't loan called the Canada Small Business Financing program that will lend to restaurants. The bank's risk is shared with the Gov't (sort of like a CMHC loan).

It only finances equipment, and leasehold improvements up to $350k, and up to $1MM for the purchase of business real estate. ATB is the only bank that will finance 100% of your equipemtn and leaseholds I believe. Other banks will only do 80-90%

You need a business plan, cash flow projections, and good net worth to qualify.

If you want to finance inventory/working capital, you need to go through BDC or private lending

(i used to work as a business manager for ATB and financed numerous restaurants)
    Last edited by yellowsnow; 10-27-2017 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

ATB is good, but before going there I'd talk with Todd @ http://www.albertabusinessloans.com/index.php. Their entire focus is small business financing. I know that they've worked with a few restaurants/hospitality-centric businesses.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
    Banks don't do super risky. But there is a Gov't loan called the Canada Small Business Financing program that will lend to restaurants. The bank's risk is shared with the Gov't (sort of like a CMHC loan).

It only finances equipment, and leasehold improvements up to $350k, and up to $1MM for the purchase of business real estate. ATB is the only bank that will finance 100% of your equipemtn and leaseholds I believe. Other banks will only do 80-90%

You need a business plan, cash flow projections, and good net worth to qualify.

If you want to finance inventory/working capital, you need to go through BDC or private lending

(i used to work as a business manager for ATB and financed numerous restaurants)
    hahaha great advice. Beat you too it
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    Chevy Silverado

Hey, I made the transition to commercial mortgage brokering and business loan consulting 2 years ago. I would be happy to discuss options with you.

Long story short on restaurants though, must have a high credit score, strong net worth, and additional assets backing you when starting up. If you are buying into a franchise you will have more options. If not, you can likely rule out most banks. PM me if you want to discuss further.

Cheers
    Todd

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Yes. Chartier in Beaumont, AB.

It's pretty damn good too.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    One thing I'm not understanding is where all this negative stigma is coming from. Popeyes just came to Calgary not long ago and it's doing fantastic even though it's mediocre chicken.
    To compare a typical restaurant to a brand new American based fast food chain thats doing good in the first year is pretty crazy no? Look at every other American based fast food place that came here after 2 years. Its not a stigma that restaurants are a major risk, its the truth. Ramen is a super popular item now though and with the japan base that will set yourself apart.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Didn't some BBQ joint down south tried that?

Promising life time BBQ (or discount) or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    One thing I'm not understanding is where all this negative stigma is coming from. Popeyes just came to Calgary not long ago and it's doing fantastic even though it's mediocre chicken.
    https://www.restaurantowner.com/public/263.cfm

TL/DR, 1 in 4 fails within 1st year. I'm sure if you get more reliable franchises (Timmy's) you may get better credit but other than that restaurants have a tough time getting loans.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    Didn't some BBQ joint down south tried that?

Promising life time BBQ (or discount) or something?
    Holy Smoke did. It recently opened too, not sure how many invested.

Popeyes is exploding due to it recently being opened up. Wait a year or two and it'll die down and the real work begins. How are the Korean Chicken places doing now?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

When ramen craze is over and customers flock to next fad like octopus or seagulls or some fucking thing you will go out of business too. If you have enough money to open a restaurant you have enough money to do something smarter.

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

It's a well known franchise in Japan. What I liked about this was that most things are automated (sort of).
    Noodle machine so your noodles are fresh and easy to make, noodle and gyoza maker for consistency.
    The way they ran business seemed better than how it's done here.
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I will start making some calls and will update the thread.

My Ride
    Bicycle

While Ramen is ramping up in Calgary. It's has peaked in Vancouver. While there are still quite a few quality place running, substandard ones has packed it in.

And remember while different, you are fighting with Pho in most markets in Calgary. And from a really unscientific poll of my white friends, 2/3 prefer Pho over Ramen when they have a choice when it comes to soup noodle meals.

As for me, I love Ramen, and I love to see another entry. Especially close to home in the T&T Country Hills area.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 10-30-2017 at 04:06 PM.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post
    And from a really unscientific poll of my white friends, 2/3 prefer Pho over Ramen when they have a choice when it comes to soup noodle meals..
    Was a question on that poll asking if they knew the difference? :P

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast