Quantcast
Teach me about the Audi A4/S4 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Teach me about the Audi A4/S4

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Quote Originally Posted by roll_over View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sold the S5 many years ago so maybe I was less picky then and my S5 had every available option, besides having bluetooth audio in the b8.5 I can't think of anything that was better.

Either way, for the amount of love these things get and fanboys that preach how amazing they are I was really let down. They're not fast, don't handle that well and interior space is pretty much non existent.
    I tend to agree with this. My B8.5 is not what I would call exciting. It's a great winter car and the S-tronic transmission is a nice compromise for me and my wife as I refused a torque converter automatic and she isn't confident with a manual. I think the car looks great and does it's job, but it's not as exciting as a real sports car. The supercharged V6 engine is strong, but it's an appliance. The handling is acceptable for a big heavy 4 door, but again it's not a sports car.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Keep in mind a TON of people lease higher end German cars (especially ones they can't afford) and 4-years is the go-to lease term. That is the most likely reason why you see a lot of them at 80K, they are probably lease backs with average usage (20km/yr X 4 year term).

They are solid cars, but like any car, I wouldn't go too old. Eventually any car will start to have issues, and cars with more features will naturally have more sensors and other things that can fail after a long time. The other option is to pay a bit more and buy a certified used car so you get any balance of the factory warranty still + 2 years along with the balance of the 12yr corrosion warranty.
    Oh I meant I see alot of private ones in that range as well.

With anything in life, it's pay to play but given my budget being in the low to mid 20g's, would you recommend even going into an A4? What would you define as old and how old would you go?

I expect that the budget likely will not put me into anything better than a 2011 S-line A4 with 65k to 80k km's so I'm wondering if it's even worth the risk at this point.

I don't know much about these cars, particularly when it comes to higher mileage.

You new car buyers are giving me envy

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    you new car leasers are giving me envy :d
    ftfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Keep in mind a TON of people lease higher end German cars (especially ones they can't afford) and 4-years is the go-to lease term. That is the most likely reason why you see a lot of them at 80K, they are probably lease backs with average usage (20km/yr X 4 year term).
    Well unless you can find me a car under $100K that appreciate in values or charges more than 10% to lease. Owning or financing a luxury car is stupid especially if you have cash sitting in the bank.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 11-01-2017 at 11:51 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Glenmore Audi it is haha. Will probably go to Lone Star just because it’s closer to me.

Have to say that the price of the A4/C350 surprises me a bit, I guess it’s just because I’ve never looked into one, but always figured it would be higher
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Glenmore Audi it is haha. Will probably go to Lone Star just because it’s closer to me.

Have to say that the price of the A4/C350 surprises me a bit, I guess it’s just because I’ve never looked into one, but always figured it would be higher
    The product ranges are so deep that if you're shopping in the lower end of it, the prices are quite reasonable. Once you get into the S4/C450/C43 then you can easily be in the $70K+ range on a car that starts in the 40's or low 50's.

My Ride
    bus

I’ve always used Jason fee or Ian Kay at glenmore, for servicing go to the glenmore satellite service centre.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    Oh I meant I see alot of private ones in that range as well.

With anything in life, it's pay to play but given my budget being in the low to mid 20g's, would you recommend even going into an A4? What would you define as old and how old would you go?

I expect that the budget likely will not put me into anything better than a 2011 S-line A4 with 65k to 80k km's so I'm wondering if it's even worth the risk at this point.

I don't know much about these cars, particularly when it comes to higher mileage.

You new car buyers are giving me envy
    Personally at that price point I wouldn't be looking for at an out of warranty A4. I'd be looking G37 or Acura TL awd. Make the nice German the next car.

My Ride
    2010 S4

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    Glenmore Audi>Royal Oak. Had waaay better service at Glenmore.
    I took my S4 for service once at Royal Oak and they suggested i bring it back for somewhere around $1000 in un-needed work and fluid changes. Took their report to my regular service adviser in Edmonton and they confirmed that not one thing Royal Oak suggested needed to get done or should ever need to be done.

I loved my 2010 S4 maintenance bills added up a bit but that was more to do with driving it 40,000+KM a year. The only real issue I had and seems pretty common in the 2010-2012(B8), and somewhat prevalent in 2013-2016 (B8.5) is the front well well do not hold up to our winter's as there is little to no protection from debris from our roads. At minimum you'll want mudguards up there but getting the inner lip rhino line or plastidipping it would be better. Thread about it here

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

The paint peeling is concerning, did Audi ever fix the issues under warranty or change the design?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2010 S4

No nothing under warranty not covered "b/c it's caused by road debris". The 2013+ models have more protection but are still not immune.

Quote Originally Posted by dubhead View Post
    No nothing under warranty not covered "b/c it's caused by road debris". The 2013+ models have more protection but are still not immune.
    Weird, Audi repainted both my front fenders that were peeling/rust (2011).

I did not have many positive comments related to the glenmore service department but those can be found in other threads without re-hashing. If I've learned one thing on beyond is that people have widely varying opinions/experiences at each dealership. I personally would avoid Calgary for sales/service if it was me. Buy from Edmonton or BC and service it via tunedub. Yes you won't get the loaner car service but they charge way less and do much better work.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Never had that on my S4 and the 120K I put on it. I guess I was lucky?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2