Quantcast
Sashimi from a supermarket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sashimi from a supermarket

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Question Sashimi from a supermarket

Would or do you guys buy sashimi grade fish from any supermarket? The other day I found a 12 pack of already cut up tuna sashimi from E-Mart (korean store in SW) for about $10 - I was very tempted to buy it and eat at home. Although I asked my wife about it and she basically just asked if it had worms, since there was a story about superstore sashimi having worms at some point and she wouldnt dare buy any sashimi from a non restaurant.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Worms (parasites) are more of an issue in fish like salmon that spend their life (or part of it) in fresh water, tuna would be a bacteria concern, which would come down to handling and temperature control

My Ride
    Bicycle

Let's put it this way. All fish are from a limited amount suppliers. The question is what is the supermarket/restaurants decides which grade they want to buy. All you can eat and supermarket carries the lowest grade and handled by lowest wage staff. So it tends to be the worst and highest risk.

As for bugs and parasite, that's just comes with the risk of sushi. Especially you know the best grade are all going to Japan and China, we get the left overs and sources are getting worse and worse everyday.

I have been getting sashimi grade salmon from City Fish off and on for over a decade now. And I also notice the fish tasted worse and worse every year.

I've bought that stuff from E-Mart before. I'm assuming it's sashimi grade since they're selling it. But now that I think about it that's an assumption that's probably not that safe.

My Ride
    Lease

Oh man, I've always enjoyed the T&T market prepared lunch sushi sashimi. This thread's just a re-trigger to be cautious.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

So my MIL works for a big sushi for supermarket factory in Edmonton and they are all low wage sushi/sashimi preparers there. When I got sick with Campylobactor while I was up there she didn't even think twice about not going to work. I mean it was unlikely that she would of had it from me but theres always a risk.

Superstore guy didn't buy sashimi, he bought a chunk of Salmon that shouldn't of been eaten raw and made it into sashimi. He might of been ok if he followed the rules of freezing the fish but he ate it right away. It's all about proper handling and storage. Raw salmon can be kept quite awhile if handled and stored properly but can go bad real quick if not. It's a bit of a gamble with stores that sell sushi but I guess if they have been doing it for a while and it's in house where you can see them make it should be safe.
    Last edited by botox; 10-31-2017 at 07:57 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I've bought raw salmon from Costco. Sliced it into sashimi. Threw it in the freezer overnight. Thawed it when I want to eat. Haven't been sick yet
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Don’t you need to get a body scan to figure out if you ever picked up the worms from sushi?

I think they are just something you get and build up over time which can lead to serious health problems down the road once they hit critical mass. Similar to raw pork. Not so much of a “I felt sick after eating it” situation.

End of the day I tried making it a few times and always felt like the fish tasted off. I have moved on to just letting a pro prepare it when I want it. Sushi is more of an experience than a staple anyways. The worms scare me way too much to trust some idiots in a supermarket.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

one should really freeze it for over seven days but that is the risk we all take when we eat sushi.

I think sushi restaurants have to label their frozen fish from when they throw it in to get by inspection.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Isn't all sushi tuna frozen right on the boats anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Don’t you need to get a body scan to figure out if you ever picked up the worms from sushi?

I think they are just something you get and build up over time which can lead to serious health problems down the road once they hit critical mass. Similar to raw pork. Not so much of a “I felt sick after eating it” situation.

End of the day I tried making it a few times and always felt like the fish tasted off. I have moved on to just letting a pro prepare it when I want it. Sushi is more of an experience than a staple anyways. The worms scare me way too much to trust some idiots in a supermarket.
    You can get tablets from the doctor to kill the worms - a bit like those deworming tablets you give cats. When I grew up in NZ my mother would always give them to us - I guess she didnt trust food either.