Quantcast
Share your immigrant story? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Share your immigrant story?

My Ride
    E90

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your first statement directly contradicts your second statement. Clearly, the validity of the credentials is questionable.

Many people immigrating are coming from 3rd world countries, or places without strong governments. Surely you aren't suggesting that someone claiming to be a doctor from Afghanistan, for instance, had the same training both in education and experience as one would have in Canada? That would be something extremely difficult to prove, and would have major liability implications behind it.

I did not realize they gave practical exams out to engineers and doctors during their hiring process at various companies and hospitals. In fact, I have no idea. If someone who actually hires engineers and doctors had knowledge, I'd love to know, because my initial reaction is they do not.
    all i'm trying to get at is that there are many immigrants with credible, valid education and experience who are underemployed due to the belief that out of Canada experience is not up to par. The education systems in many 3rd world countries are vastly developed with private schools, and the competition to get admitted is very tough, so only the top tier students usually get into post secondary education.
    There are obviously areas of the world that may require more stringent verification of credentials, but it would be very easy to set up testing or qualification exams to ensure their legitimacy.

My Ride
    NC1

lol reminds me of the Dentistry thread awhile back.

people in other countries must have bad teeth because only in AB it's the BEST

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

My dad's folks were only 17 and 18 when they high tailed it out of Poland in 1950. They had my dad in '51 in Belgium and then got passage to Canada in '52 via a boat. Similar story as quite a few of you regarding not knowing the language in the country they landed in. They remained illiterate their whole lives. They were quite poor growing up as my dad shared a bedroom with his two sisters until they were in their late teens. Grandpa was a butcher here in Calgary and my grandma was a line cook at Hy's steakhouse downtown for 40 years.

Contrast that with my mom, who was born in Guyana in '53. Her dad was an English expat directing Human Resources for some mining operation. They bounced then to England for a few years when she was 2, then settled outside Montreal in Rosmere. My dad and my mom met when they were juniour executives working for the Hudson Bay company in Montreal. My dad came back to Calgary to start his first business, then went back to Montreal to scoop my mom up and bring her out here. Been here ever since.

So Im first gen, traveled a ton, will definitely try to stay here long term as I quite like Calgary.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3