Quantcast
Quality sound bar for PC at reasonable cost? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Quality sound bar for PC at reasonable cost?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Default Quality sound bar for PC at reasonable cost?

I run dual monitors at work and want a nice sounding sound-bar to sit between them on the desk and replace the little towers I have. I'm not running a nightclub here but I want some decent sound for music, not tinny shit. If there's a sub, it would need to be wireless but I don't care one way or the other about having one beyond that stipulation.

Any suggestions? Looking online for reviews is a mixed bag.....
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

I've been using Bose Companion 2's for years now, and they make pretty decent sound. Bass is strong enough you don't need a sub.

I'm sure someone will come in here and bitch about how shitty and overpriced Bose speakers are though.

My Ride

I'd really like a bar, so there's no wires across my desk anywhere. Having 2 fairly large monitors makes having a speaker at either end a pita.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    Bicycle

https://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gami...azer-leviathan

It's not better than 2 bookshelf speakers at the ends but I like the form factor and sound.

Creative D200 is Good. It's what I use at work for Music. It fits nicely under my monitor and Has Good Sound.

https://en.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-d200

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've been using Bose Companion 2's for years now, and they make pretty decent sound. Bass is strong enough you don't need a sub.

I'm sure someone will come in here and bitch about how shitty and overpriced Bose speakers are though.
    Fun fact of the day. My office manager got tired of listening to my tinny on board speaker while I decided what I wanted to replace the old stuff with and she took it upon herself to go buy these for me at lunch today. So I guess problem solved.

They sound ok haha
    Originally posted by SJW
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:42 AM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Fun fact of the day. My office manager got tired of listening to my tinny on board speaker while I decided what I wanted to replace the old stuff with and she took it upon herself to go buy these for me at lunch today. So I guess problem solved.

They sound ok haha
    Now put them on their sides for the full sound bar experience!

I'm interested in opinions regarding PC sound bars too. I've not had sound outside of headphones for the home gaming PCs for years, mainly due to having several PCs in close proximity. Now that I'm coming home to Calgary at last after several years in exile, I'll have my primary gaming office back. IE just my PC in that office. I'd like to have the option to pull the headphones off.

So, are sound bars as good as the 3/5/etc speaker setups out there? Cost isn't really my concern, more so the quality and intangibles, but I'd like to keep it under $500 for sound. I have a decent DAC/Amp setup for my Sony MDRs, and have the Astro A40s as well, but I'm unsure which way to go for non headphone sound.

I'd also prefer to get something that MemEx stocks, I've been loyal to them since they had the one store in Calgary, and they've been very, very good to me. They have the Razer Leviathan, Creative Katana, and other bars available. How would these stack up against the $500 Logitech 5.1 system? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35932

Also, how would a Klipsch 2.1 2 speaker unit work/sound compared to a sound bar or multi speaker 5.1 deal? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX29396

I'm not Captain Audiophile, I bought a cheaper DAC/AMP combo after researching the options, mainly just wanting louder headphones, due to being exposed to gunfire for 20 years+ in my career, and having lost bit of eardrum performance over time. Is a good bar going to be "good enough" compared to a higher end 2.1/5.1 setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I'm interested in opinions regarding PC sound bars too. I've not had sound outside of headphones for the home gaming PCs for years, mainly due to having several PCs in close proximity. Now that I'm coming home to Calgary at last after several years in exile, I'll have my primary gaming office back. IE just my PC in that office. I'd like to have the option to pull the headphones off.

So, are sound bars as good as the 3/5/etc speaker setups out there? Cost isn't really my concern, more so the quality and intangibles, but I'd like to keep it under $500 for sound. I have a decent DAC/Amp setup for my Sony MDRs, and have the Astro A40s as well, but I'm unsure which way to go for non headphone sound.

I'd also prefer to get something that MemEx stocks, I've been loyal to them since they had the one store in Calgary, and they've been very, very good to me. They have the Razer Leviathan, Creative Katana, and other bars available. How would these stack up against the $500 Logitech 5.1 system? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX35932

Also, how would a Klipsch 2.1 2 speaker unit work/sound compared to a sound bar or multi speaker 5.1 deal? https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX29396

I'm not Captain Audiophile, I bought a cheaper DAC/AMP combo after researching the options, mainly just wanting louder headphones, due to being exposed to gunfire for 20 years+ in my career, and having lost bit of eardrum performance over time. Is a good bar going to be "good enough" compared to a higher end 2.1/5.1 setup?
    You'll still need a sub, and you say you already have an amp, but for about $500 you can get a pair of Paradigm MilleniaOne which are so much better than any computer speakers it's not even funny (I use a pair of these for PC speakers along with a SUB8). They also make a self-powered version with sub but the speakers aren't quite as good as the 'One's' and you can get that one for about $560.

https://www.paradigm.com/products-ar.../page=overview

https://www.paradigm.com/products-ar.../page=overview

If you don't really care and just want an off the shelf 2.1 system:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX30627

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX29396

Another option is something like these:

https://www.avshop.ca/home-amp-mobil...CABEgKFz_D_BwE

From a sound quality standpoint, you're always better off with 2.1 or 5.1 than a sound bar, all else equal, unless you need it for aesthetics or something else. A good set of bookshelf speakers will also have similar or better bass performance to a shitty sub paired with a cheap PC speaker system.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

+1 on Bose Companions overall. I have had my companion 3 for like 7 years and they still work great. The little acoustimass sub is a beast and used to get my in trouble all the time when I was in Res back in the day haha.

They were super affected by GSM noise back in the day, I could always tell my phone was going to ring about 5 seconds before it actually rang haha.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.