Quantcast
New CPU + MOBO help - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New CPU + MOBO help

My Ride
    e92

Default New CPU + MOBO help

Ok. So I have like a 5 year old gaming rig. I want to maintain my a lot of my existing components (power supply, SSD hard drive, etc.) but upgrade my motherboard, cpu, ram, and video card. It currently has windows 10 64 bit installed and I believe it was the free upgrade. I have been told by a few people if I swap out these parts I will have to reintall my OS and need a new licence key.

Any ideas?? I've also heard if you uninstall the drivers prior to the swapping of parts you wont need to reinstall OS. I am not computer savvy I just know the basics. Someone help......

Depending on the previous OS Key (OEM key vs Retail).

Retail Keys you can link to your Microsoft account. Install the OS on the new HDD skip entering product key, once OS has finished installed go to "Windows Activation" in the settings and go through the steps. I believe there is an option to select "i have new hardware" and it'll ask for you to log into Microsoft account and deactivate it on your old system and reactivate on the new.

If all else fails you can buy a OEM key for cheap. I completed my build last week and spent $5 for Windows 10 Pro.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/WINDOWS-10-P...53.m2749.l2649

my first code didn't work so i sent the seller a message, he sent a 2nd code and it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by nytrydr89 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok. So I have like a 5 year old gaming rig. I want to maintain my a lot of my existing components (power supply, SSD hard drive, etc.) but upgrade my motherboard, cpu, ram, and video card. It currently has windows 10 64 bit installed and I believe it was the free upgrade. I have been told by a few people if I swap out these parts I will have to reintall my OS and need a new licence key.

Any ideas?? I've also heard if you uninstall the drivers prior to the swapping of parts you wont need to reinstall OS. I am not computer savvy I just know the basics. Someone help......
    You should be able to take your SSD and plug it into the new system no problem. You don't have to uninstall drivers first. I would recommend downloading the latest drivers for your new hardware after windows has booted back up even though Windows will most likely install something compatible on its own. Also as stated above, your Windows key depends on the version of windows you have installed(OEM, Retail). If you end up needing a new key, check https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I had no idea all these steps were involved. I was under the impression that any harddrive with an OS installed on it can be hot-swapped into any new workstation and boot up fine, provided that you specify in the bios which harddrive to boot from, etc.

If you're upgrading your GPU, I know that you typically need to download new display drivers.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Grab your W10 license key using magic jellybean, or something similar to get the key. You may have to pay for this tool (havent had to use it in a W10 system yet)

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Then run sysprep, choose OOBE, "generalize" and "shutdown". Then, immediately swap out the board and the CPU and install new.

You will be asked for your license key and then Windows will just reinstall the drivers specific to your parts. No user data is lost. You can use W10 drivers for hardware or your own.

You can certainly just throw in a new board without doing any of this but you risk issues with blue screens (or black screens) and cleaning out old drivers.
    Last edited by revelations; 11-15-2017 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7boi View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had no idea all these steps were involved. I was under the impression that any harddrive with an OS installed on it can be hot-swapped into any new workstation and boot up fine, provided that you specify in the bios which harddrive to boot from, etc.

If you're upgrading your GPU, I know that you typically need to download new display drivers.
    What steps? We are saying that you CAN "hot swap" the drive no problem. Of course if he is using new hardware he should then install the appropriate drivers to ensure he is using the latest. Are you talking about the windows license? Windows 10 key are either linked to your motherboard or your Microsoft account depending on which version of windows you are running(OEM/Retail).

One can still get Windows 10 for free - Microsoft web site. I just downloaded it yesterday to fix my MIL's computer for the second or third or fourth (???) time. This offer expires December 31, 2017.
    Will fuck off, again.