Quantcast
Diversifying out of energy - timing the exit - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Diversifying out of energy - timing the exit

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Diversifying out of energy - timing the exit

Timing the market is a fools errand, but I've decided to greatly reduce my exposure to energy stocks. Been thinking that the day WTI passes $60 I'd just sell it all and put it into my diversified fund and stop worrying.

Of course, that $60 is kind of an arbitrary number. And many energy stocks lag the oil futures market by weeks months or quarters.

Most of my holdings are inside an RRSP and its my plan to keep them inside.

So, what say you oh wise investors of beyond?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Yep get out at the bottom lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Timing the market is a fools errand, but I've decided to greatly reduce my exposure to energy stocks. Been thinking that the day WTI passes $60 I'd just sell it all and put it into my diversified fund and stop worrying.

Of course, that $60 is kind of an arbitrary number. And many energy stocks lag the oil futures market by weeks months or quarters.

Most of my holdings are inside an RRSP and its my plan to keep them inside.

So, what say you oh wise investors of beyond?
    I would split it up, some ethical, but real eastate is great if you don't have any.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I think on a cash flow basis energy is still somewhere I am comfortable with my money. Don’t try to time the market.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    NC1

Marijuana cuz you know you wanna!

HMMJ - ETF
    Aurora - ACB
    Aphria - APH
    Canopy - WEED

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimmyJames View Post
    Yep get out at the bottom lol.
    True story of so many people I know!

Also agreed, time in the market, not timing the market. If it dips, buy more! haha

Index investing FTW

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, I wasn't looking for what to get into, I've got that covered with a couple diversified funds. Energy is a core sector in them, like it is in the Canadian market as a whole. I sure as hell don't want individual stock suggestions.

Overall, this may very well be something like exiting at the bottom, which is why I'm looking for a strategic exit point. Like I said, I was picking WTI=$60 as a point to start discussion. There may be something smarter.

Also, considering my career and my home are both highly dependent on the performance of energy companies, it'll be really hard to diversify totally away from the sector with my current life-track. So I'm well covered for the upside if the energy industry booms again.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 11-06-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    G6

I work in oil & gas and almost never hold anything in the energy sector (outside of diversified market ETFs such as XIC). Living in Calgary and working in energy means that's already your prime investment. Buying more is extremely poor diversification and should be avoided unless there's a very specific reason not to. I'm not gonna tell you when to get out because that's the wrong way of looking at it IMO. Instead, find what you want to get into, and dump the energy weighting at that time to fund another investment.

My Ride
    rally pig

Been thinking about exiting the energy stocks as well for a while now considering that I'm working for an upstream O&G company already and they are already giving me shares on a regular basis, it makes sense that on the personal side I should diversify to other sectors.

Now, the question when to exit all depends to you, your strategy and metrics.
    Myself, I'm looking to exit sometime next year, most likely sometime in Q1 or Q2 when O&G stocks are usually valued higher.
    What will be my trigger point, I don't know, probably when I'm up 10-20%

But if you believe the Canadian O&G will bounce back in 5-10 years, then keep your stocks.

EDIT: I'm only exiting the upstream side, midstream and downstream I will still keep the stocks as they havent depreciated as much and dividends are nice.
    Last edited by taemo; 11-06-2017 at 11:48 AM.

My wife has a shit ton of RDSA so I've deliberately steered the rest of our money away from O&G as much as I can. Unfortunately her DC pension is all index funds so there is too much exposure there.

The Canadian O&G sector sucks, so I've stuck to actively managed funds and passive ETFs that steer clear from it (Mawer and ZLB).

For the majority of people - yeah go the index route.

For the OP's specific question of when to get out of energy - since you're already in it you might as well hold on to them for now. Energy is cyclical and coming out of a down cycle. Canadian producers especially are really out of favor given we're the most expensive oil in the world. Hold on to them til that trend inevitably reverses a bit. Who knows maybe the Saudis break out into all out civil war and it'll be good times in Alberta again lol.

Energy is a commodity and definitely not a great vehicle for long term investment. If you bought into energy a decade ago and held on you likely wouldn't be a cent richer today. I've known more people who have lost their shirts in energy than on the financial and dot com bubbles combined (being in Calgary probably skews it quite a bit but you get my point).

Just lookup XEG. It will make you cry.