Quantcast
Cheap smart phone excellence, Motorola G. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Cheap smart phone excellence, Motorola G.

Default Cheap smart phone excellence, Motorola G.

I've been running an older Iphone 4S for several years, since I came out to SK. I've been looking after my mother, who was in palliative care in her home, doing shifts until her passing last month. I had no need for a good smart phone, as I typically was always tied to her home, or within a few KM picking stuff up for her needs, and for "indoors" have 3 gaming PCs and several new iPads kicking around already, negating any advantage or need for a $$$ newer smartphone. Sasktel booted the 4s off their network a couple months back, due to it not taking the update for the new IOS, some compatibility issue they said in their email.

So, wanting to wait for the new iPhone X, and especially wanting to wait until I'm back in Calgary full time, after the probate/estate stuff is all done after Xmas sometime, I had to buy a replacement for my trusty old 4S (awesome phone, bought it back in 2014 for $100 used, in like NiB condition).

Found a Motorola "G" Android, normally about $100ish, but it was on sale at Jump.ca for $49, and came with a free Otterbox case too, about another $20 for that free.

Effing awesome phone for the $ - highly recommend for a kid's first phone, or a backup/prepaid/second phone, or whatever. For fifty bux, I just can't believe how well this thing works. Obviously not worth some long review, but wow, I just can't say enough about the value. It's also very, very tough, water resistant, and built to take some abuse - again, great for a 1st kid phone IMO.

I'd had every Motorola cell from the 650, Digital light, StarTacs, Vader, Razr, Krazrs, etc, all of them, until the day the first iPhones came out. I remember when the first 12 StarTac's came into Calgary, it was the week I'd bought my 95 Stealth Turbo, and I dropped $1800 for that phone, with the extra lithium piggy back batteries, etc. This simple Moto "G" smart phone for fifty bucks...compared to that nearly 2k waste of money (young and stupid, now I'm old and just slightly less stupid) on the Startac, is a great value.

Still looking forward to the new Apple X or 8, depends on the screen size when I see them up close, in a few months. Hope they have stock by then, the prices on Ebay/etc now...heh.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Moto G has always been great for the $ and you don't have to worry about random Chinese rom with spyware.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Huh... I really hated mine. I had the 8gb 3G and it would constantly freeze up on me, despite having only basic apps on it, and barely any music or pictures. I found the 1gb of RAM was just not enough. The water resistance was nice though.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by My_name_is_Rob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh... I really hated mine. I had the 8gb 3G and it would constantly freeze up on me, despite having only basic apps on it, and barely any music or pictures. I found the 1gb of RAM was just not enough. The water resistance was nice though.
    Only Moto G 1st and 2nd Gen has 1GB. It has 2GB since 3rd gen (2015).

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Only the 16gb 3rd gen had 2GB. The smaller 8gb one only had the 1GB.