Quantcast
Music ripped from CD's no longer exists in my iTunes library. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Music ripped from CD's no longer exists in my iTunes library.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Music ripped from CD's no longer exists in my iTunes library.

Hey all,

As the title states, any music that I had in my iTunes library that was ripped from CD's, no longer exists. It only shows music that I have bought and downloaded from the iTunes store. What's the deal here? It seems like Apple is trying to force me to buy the music again from their store. (Kind of a piss off because I no longer have many of the CD's that were ripped to my computer over the years.)

Same situation across all my iDevices. Ripped music doesn't show.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Did you forget to renew iTunes Match?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you forget to renew iTunes Match?
    I couldn't forget because I don't even know what that is. Haha.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How did you get the music on your iDevices? Need more information on where/how the music was stored as there are multiple ways to get ripped music onto iDevices before figuring out how that disappeared. 3 typical ways:

1. Old School, music in your iTunes, plug in devices, sync every device separately.
    2. Enable iTunes Match on iTunes, which uploads all your music to the cloud. Your devices signed into your iTunes account will magically see all those songs as long as you renew iTunes Match.
    3. Apple Music. You typically start off with #1, then you turn on Apple Music, which uploads your library on device to the cloud. Your devices signed into your iTunes account will magically see all those songs as long as you pay for Apple Music.

Only difference between 2 and 3 is that 2 keeps your songs without DRM so you can download on iTunes and send it to someone. #3 is all DRM and locked to your iTunes account.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I had something similar happen to me when I upgraded my phone recently. But likely it is due to a completely different reason than yours. And the main culprit was that I started backing up to itunes on another computer.

My old CD ripped to itunes library resides in my old white plastic MacBook. I used to backup and sync all my apple devices there. However, due to the OS version, I couldn't update to the latest iTunes. So I started backing up my apple devices to itunes on my PC. All the CD ripped music that is already on the devices still exist on the device, but not in the iTunes library on my PC. So when restoring my new iPhone from a iTunes backup, it is missing all those CD ripped music. I ended up having to copy the iTunes library from my MacBook and add it to the iTunes library on my PC.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Same issue here...

Recent upgrade to iPhone X...My iTunes library on my MacBook is fine...but everything i Had on my phone (minus purchased from iTunes) is now gone haha...fucking Apple...Even my "iTunes Playlist" is gone from my listing on playlists on the sidebar....(the playlist I use on my phones...)
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

If you started from scratch and not a restore, or you logged out of iCloud and logged back in, it resets your iCloud music library setting.

General -> music -> iCloud music library. Turn it on. And it’ll come back.

All your custom playlists, ripped music are all stored in iCloud music library. I dunno why they default that to off on a iCloud signin.

My Ride
    changes every year

similar situation using apple music. any of my existing music from iTunes that are in my downloaded section won't play. only music that was downloaded form the apple music store.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Whats the good word on Spotify? My gf has been using it and I just downloaded it for the free trial. Seems like a good service.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 03ozwhip View Post
    similar situation using apple music. any of my existing music from iTunes that are in my downloaded section won't play. only music that was downloaded form the apple music store.
    Based on what you're saying, you're talking about the iTunes app in the downloaded section? Did you sign in and activate your computer? It sounds like that's the problem, downloaded (from Apple Music) is DRM, while downloads that you're purchased are DRM free so it plays without activating your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    Whats the good word on Spotify? My gf has been using it and I just downloaded it for the free trial. Seems like a good service.
    I started out on Spotify, it's nice. I switched to Apple music just because of better integration. Both are pretty much identical. Would've been nice if there was a import from Spotify playlist option when I switched, pretty much had to recreate my playlists. Spotify free is decent if you're a cheap ass haha. Family sharing on Spotify is "better", I've never used it, but I'm saying better only because the Apple Music family sharing forces you to share iTunes account as well, making your family member's purchases go through your credit card, which could be annoying. Apple Music's library is bigger, but honestly, I can't tell the difference back then. Everything I listened to was on both no problems, even random ass obscure songs.

So did my suggestions actually fix anyone's problems or are you guys all still fucked?

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Based on what you're saying, you're talking about the iTunes app in the downloaded section? Did you sign in and activate your computer? It sounds like that's the problem, downloaded (from Apple Music) is DRM, while downloads that you're purchased are DRM free so it plays without activating your computer.

I started out on Spotify, it's nice. I switched to Apple music just because of better integration. Both are pretty much identical. Would've been nice if there was a import from Spotify playlist option when I switched, pretty much had to recreate my playlists. Spotify free is decent if you're a cheap ass haha. Family sharing on Spotify is "better", I've never used it, but I'm saying better only because the Apple Music family sharing forces you to share iTunes account as well, making your family member's purchases go through your credit card, which could be annoying. Apple Music's library is bigger, but honestly, I can't tell the difference back then. Everything I listened to was on both no problems, even random ass obscure songs.

So did my suggestions actually fix anyone's problems or are you guys all still fucked?
    the thing is it was all working fine for quite a while. (I use android btw) now 90% or more of just my ripped music shows up, but just won't play.

I can take a look on my laptop on itunes(I only use apple music on my phone, iPod and my wife's phone, also android) and see if anything I do changes it.

I'm having a similar issue. I got a new PC last summer and a new iphone 12 in the fall. I transferred the folder with all my CD ripped music onto my new computer, but iTunes just won't acknowledge/see it and it doesn't appear on my new phone, only my itunes purchased music appears in my library. My new PC is "authorized".

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I haven’t used iTunes in forever. Are you subbed to Apple Music or iTunes Match? If so, from what I remember, you drag songs onto iTunes on PC, the. You have to ensure it’s up,landed. Right click the songs and upload I think? Or click the cloud button? Then it will show up.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Some time in maybe 2006, issues with digital rights for an album purchased through Telus and accesses with iTunes convinced us to never buy digital music again.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Audiophiles say not so soon!

2022 ipod rebuild.
    https://ellie.wtf/ipod/

I did my own a few years ago. Used at the gym and only drawback is no BT.

My Ride
    *The First*

As long as that sweet sweet U2 album is still secured on there, what else does an Apple user need?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I just run Serious Hits Live! on repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I just run Serious Hits Live! on repeat
    I took you more as a "Now! That's what I call music vol. ____“ guy.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I have just been borrowing my kids "kids bop" CDs...
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.