Quantcast
Spotify or Apple Music? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Spotify Premium or Apple Music?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spotify Premium

75 70.75%
  • Apple Music

23 21.70%
  • other

8 7.55%
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotify or Apple Music?

Default Spotify or Apple Music?

My 2 years of Spotify premium just expired, so i'm going to need to start paying for a subscription and considering Apple Music instead. It will be my wife and I, so need to use the family plan (I think both are 14.99 anyways). We both have iphones.

What would you recommend, Spotify or Apple Music?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Music library is very similar between, although Apple Music will occasionally get exclusive release 1-2 weeks earlier than others.
    The best will probably depend more on what you're used to and what ecosystem you favor or are tied into.

Spotify sucked for me because of the integration with Google Home. I was listening to one of the rap stations in the car one day and all of a sudden it changed to kids' music because my wife wanted to play the Wiggles for our 2 year old on our Google Home.

Google Play Music worked best for me because I can Chromecast or "Hey Google" and control with my phone or voice, yet it doesn't take over if I'm listening elsewhere.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I find Spotify better for suggested playlist type stuff, which works best for me since I don’t pay enough attention to what’s new

But Apple Music is much better integrated into the iPhone, naturally

My Ride
    01 i30

I’ve been using Tidal for the past couple months, but not the lossless service. Function wise I don’t notice any difference between Spotify and Apple. The part I like is it’s owned by recording artists and pays artists the most. I don’t know if the offer is still valid, but if you download the CapTune app by Sennheiser you can register for Tidal in the app and get 90 days free.

Never tried apple music but spotify is better than the rest imo. Also you can get the family plan with 5 other people you know which works out to $30 a year.

Apple Music

My Ride
    Exploded.

dafuq is tidal

Spotify ftw

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Both are better than Tidal if you care about ease of use and finding new music. I use the lossless in Tidal and the sound quality is great but nothing is catered to my favourites or similar genres playing. My biggest beef is that it features a bunch of gangster rap nonstop that I don't even want to listen and the playlists need serious work. Lots of Top 40 shit and rarely find a new artist like I do with Spotify or Apple music.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It’s owned by a bunch of gangster rappers so not surprised it’s playing gangster rap non stop haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Oh absolutely! I just wish the UI was more tailored or customizable for other genres, especially the home page.

Overall content on Tidal is great, just finding it in a streamlined way is missing. It's possible by clicking the song to the "vinyl" page but it just... Yeah not as easy and intelligent as it could be.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

To the OP: Try Apple Music for free for 3 months and see if you like it? The UI and recommendations are such a personal preference that it'd be impossible for anyone to make a solid suggestion.

The big advantage for Apple Music is Siri integration for me. The RC-F's terrible infotainment system forced me to use Siri, plus kids requesting songs while driving, couldn't live without the Siri integration.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Music library is very similar between, although Apple Music will occasionally get exclusive release 1-2 weeks earlier than others.
    The best will probably depend more on what you're used to and what ecosystem you favor or are tied into.

Spotify sucked for me because of the integration with Google Home. I was listening to one of the rap stations in the car one day and all of a sudden it changed to kids' music because my wife wanted to play the Wiggles for our 2 year old on our Google Home.

Google Play Music worked best for me because I can Chromecast or "Hey Google" and control with my phone or voice, yet it doesn't take over if I'm listening elsewhere.
    You need to have Spotify family plan, and Google Home Multi-user setup with voice recognition and it will all work now. Before multi user support this wasn't working.

My Ride
    Fozzy XT

Love Spotify but all I can compare it to was Google music. It's really good at finding me new music based on my listening habits, and is better for "music people" than Google was. I have the family plan for $15 per month, what's this $30 per year?

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    To the OP: Try Apple Music for free for 3 months and see if you like it? The UI and recommendations are such a personal preference that it'd be impossible for anyone to make a solid suggestion.

The big advantage for Apple Music is Siri integration for me. The RC-F's terrible infotainment system forced me to use Siri, plus kids requesting songs while driving, couldn't live without the Siri integration.
    Good call, ended up signing up for the 3 month trial. So far i think Spotify is better (mostly around the radio stations/daily mixes it picks for me), but i'm going to keep using it until the trial is up to see if it gets better the more i use it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
    Love Spotify but all I can compare it to was Google music. It's really good at finding me new music based on my listening habits, and is better for "music people" than Google was. I have the family plan for $15 per month, what's this $30 per year?
    apple music is same price. $10/mth for individual, $15/mth for family

My Ride
    M3P

I've only ever used apple music and I really enjoy it and don't mind paying for the service.

Two things I don't enjoy. If you have apple music it also doesn't allow you to have your own music.

Second is if I restore my phone or get a new one It doesn't automatically download my music for offline listening. It's very annoying having to go back and download every CD and there is no quick way to do this AFAIK.

If someone has a solution for either of these problems let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I've only ever used apple music and I really enjoy it and don't mind paying for the service.

Two things I don't enjoy. If you have apple music it also doesn't allow you to have your own music.

Second is if I restore my phone or get a new one It doesn't automatically download my music for offline listening. It's very annoying having to go back and download every CD and there is no quick way to do this AFAIK.

If someone has a solution for either of these problems let me know!
    I have my own library side by side with Apple Music. On iphone, if you go to Library on the bottom bar, it's my own music/playlists. All the other tabs (For You, Browse, Radio) seem to be Apple Music. Search tab lets you choose if you want to search your own library or Apple Music

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Adding your songs to Apple Music: https://www.howtogeek.com/222365/how...o-apple-music/

Old article should still be relevant. Remember that Apple Music's iCloud Music Library or whatever is free and your songs are available DRM'd from Apple Music as long as you're paying for the subscription. If you want to keep your own songs, do not rely on Apple Music as a storage platform unless you subscribe to $25 music match, which keeps your files without DRM.

My Ride
    M3P

Adding your songs to Apple Music: https://www.howtogeek.com/222365/how...o-apple-music/

Old article should still be relevant. Remember that Apple Music's iCloud Music Library or whatever is free and your songs are available DRM'd from Apple Music as long as you're paying for the subscription. If you want to keep your own songs, do not rely on Apple Music as a storage platform unless you subscribe to $25 music match, which keeps your files without DRM.
    Hmm - Thanks for this. I'll have to try it out. I have some obscure Indie mixtapes that i was trying to listen to recently and it wouldn't allow for it. I'll putter around in the options to see if this will get them added.

Any tips on not having to re-add every single apple music song to my library after a restore or new phone set up?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No easy solution there. I have all my songs in custom playlists, and just cruise through them and add my most listened to ones to save on daily data and for flights.

My Ride
    M3P

No easy solution there. I have all my songs in custom playlists, and just cruise through them and add my most listened to ones to save on daily data and for flights.
    In theory could I add my entire library to a playlist and have it all downloaded at once when I restore?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast