Quantcast
Man receives $155 fine for flashing high beams at oncoming sheriff - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Man receives $155 fine for flashing high beams at oncoming sheriff

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Default Man receives $155 fine for flashing high beams at oncoming sheriff

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/quick-flic...-155-1.3671389

A High River man says an Alberta sheriff gave him a ticket and a January court date for flashing his high beams as he passed by and believes he should have received a warning as he was just being a good neighbour.

Jeff McLenaghan was on his way home on Monday just after 9:00 p.m. and was driving northbound on Centre Street in the town when he saw a vehicle coming in the opposite direction.
    He says he thought the vehicle had its high beams on so he flashed his high beams for a second to let the other driver know.

“There was a vehicle travelling southbound, I didn’t know who it was, what it was, but I thought it looked really bright, really bright, so that they had their high beams on so I did what, probably everybody else and their dog does, I did a quick flick about a tenth of a second, to my calculations, about two feet worth of high beamage and as the vehicle passed me, I realized that it was a sheriff,” said McLenaghan.

He says he continued on and had just turned into his driveway when the police vehicle pulled up behind him.

“He stopped me. I have a dash cam that actually, you can hear him say, ‘I stopped you because you high beamed me’ and then I gave him the reason why, I said, I high beamed you because I thought somebody, I didn’t know who it was, you or anybody else, had your high beams on so I was hoping that if I flashed you, you would shut them off and he said, ‘well those aren’t high beams, those are the low beams.”

McLenaghan says the officer asked for his driver’s licence and then went back to his cruiser.

The officer returned with a ticket and McLenaghan says he tried to explain his actions.

“I begged with him, I said I’ve got some health concerns right now, finances are the way they are, I’ve got some things I’m trying to work through, it’s a month before Christmas, this type of thing, is there anything you can do just to give me a heads up and he seemed bothered that I had flashed him in the beginning,” he said. “He wrote ‘failed to use low beams within 300 metres.’ Well, I had my low beams on, it wasn’t until I got up closer to him that I did a quick flash of the high beams, yet he still thought it was legitimate to give me a ticket.”

McLenaghan admits he broke the law but says education goes a long way and that he believes a warning would have been more appropriate.

“I just think that with a small town like this, that there’s the letter of the law and then there’s the spirit of the law and I think that if you’re really trying to do the community good, you know, with your fundraisers and things, you want the community to be involved and on your side and this type of thing, that you would use a little more discretion and give an opportunity to give someone a break,” he said. “I have a ticket for about a tenth of a second of breaking the law.”

He says he wants to get the word out so others know about the law and that he plans to fight the ticket.
    CTV News reached out to Alberta Sheriffs but have not heard back.
    Although I HATE when people flash me thinking my high beams are on, I also don't think its ticket worthy... but maybe thats just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/quick-flic...-155-1.3671389

Although I HATE when people flash me thinking my high beams are on, I also don't think its ticket worthy... but maybe thats just me.
    Yea dick move but flash a cop and I guess 50/50 you’ll get a ticket depending on the cops mood.

I would have said I was going for the windshield washer and pulled the wrong stalk or something like that.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Another funny thing is people don’t realize that hi’s can’t be used in concert with fog lamps.

That said, next time someone thinks the beams are on cheek for fogs as well.

Not the same issue with the cop perhaps, but a good rule. Many people I drive with I have to correct them with this.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Cop was being a cunt.

Edit - It was a peace officer? Replace cop with that and was, with is! Haha

Also, Phil = Good comment, like usual.I
    Last edited by JRSC00LUDE; 11-13-2017 at 07:24 PM.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

guess everyone that said "I high beam to warn people of photo radar/laser traps" is at risk. beware.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by schurchill39 View Post
    Although I HATE when people flash me thinking my high beams are on
    I’ve always wondered aside from some trucks, are there cars with proper headlights that are blinding to opposing traffic? I always thought ppl with blinding high beams are either lifted trucks fucking up where the lights are pointing, or fake ass HIDs. I’ve been driving in the NE in the dark fairly frequently lately and everyone every car is blinding so I’m assuming fake HIDs haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I’ve always wondered aside from some trucks, are there cars with proper headlights that are blinding to opposing traffic? I always thought ppl with blinding high beams are either lifted trucks fucking up where the lights are pointing, or fake ass HIDs. I’ve been driving in the NE in the dark fairly frequently lately and everyone every car is blinding so I’m assuming fake HIDs haha.
    I do find some of the infinites and bimmers blinding when they hit bumps. I think it’s the self leveling projectors maybe??

But yea anyone with HIDs in reflector housings deserves to be high beamed, yelled at and run off the road IMO.

My Ride
    something green

The auto headlight function in my srt8 jeep doesn't pick up the low beam light pattern from cars with oem hids very well,so it basically flashes every car with hids.
    A cop threatened to give me the same ticket that guy got a year or so ago, RCMP driving down the highway towards me with his overhead white search lights still on, it was so bright I couldn't see the road. I thought it was some guy with an led light bar, so I high beamed him. The cop passes me then turns on the red and blues, u turns and pulls me over. Had a nice 5 minute argument with him about the status of his lights, the one day I was driving the truck that doesn't have a dash cam.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    NC1

time to ban them high beams

Cop got all butthurt for the highbeam flash. Issuing a ticket is a waste of resources for that type of offence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

He's got a twitter account if y'all homeboys wanna give him a piece of your mind :Rofl:

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 12:40 AM.

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

And cops wonder why they have a bad reputation and people hate / are afraid of them.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    And cops wonder why they have a bad reputation and people hate / are afraid of them.
    When I hear good cops complaining about this....my only response is that the good ones (if they are the majority) are very poor at influencing and pressuring the bad ones. Even a good cop will protect a bad cop. The "brotherhood" aspect of policing is why the good ones get lumped in with the bad ones. Can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    When I hear good cops complaining about this....my only response is that the good ones (if they are the majority) are very poor at influencing and pressuring the bad ones. Even a good cop will protect a bad cop. The "brotherhood" aspect of policing is why the good ones get lumped in with the bad ones. Can't have it both ways.
    I get what you’re trying to say but do you babysit people at your work you think are bad at their job?

Quote Originally Posted by davidI View Post
    Hmm, am I in the minority because I'm not one of those people?
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Is that so? Do you have inside knowledge of this? You are trotting all of this out like you know it to be true.

I can tell you from my perspective that absolutely isn’t the way of it. Yes there are a few out there who will blindly defend poor/criminal/unprofessional actions, but the majority don’t and will in fact speak up. Very few want to see these people on the streets interacting with the public, and even fewer want to work with them.

I’m sure I’ll be told I don’t know what I’m talking about or I have a bias, but I’m the first to speak out against this type of bullshit or the stupid and criminal actions of other officers. Which btw, is who this is. He isn’t a police officer. Sheriffs aren’t police, and I’d say that’s for good reason. They are peace officers. Just like transit and bylaw, and they just happen to carry guns and can enforce certain laws the others don’t.

Anyways, dick move to be sure and typical of these guys.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I saw in an article before this thread was posted that it was Officer Suffesick that gave the ticket.

I think it's this guy:

https://twitter.com/ryansuffesick?lang=en

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Refresh my memory. Did a whole bunch of people, or ANYONE, die in the Alberta Flood? How is this guy a "survivor"?
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Refresh my memory. Did a whole bunch of people, or ANYONE, die in the Alberta Flood? How is this guy a "survivor"?
    I'm a 2017 Southern Alberta Windstorm survivor, so I totally get it.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast