Quantcast
Who's at Fault - Left turning vehicle gets hit by right turning vehicle - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Who's at Fault - Left turning vehicle gets hit by right turning vehicle

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good response, I remember other threads from the past on beyond where what the insurance companies settled/decided on was different then what the officer on scene and the laws said.
    I think where a lot of confusion comes from is the belief that police have any say whatsoever in who is at fault in an accident and when it comes right down to it they are only there to record information and hand out traffic tickets if appropriate. Most police know this and stay out of the fault game but there are a few that like to dispense their wisdom upon the masses, and they're not always right. As a random citizen though I would assume the police knew what they were talking about so it's not giant shock when this goes sideways.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

How often do you see no witness accidents, two different stories, siding 100% at fault based on the evidence of the vehicles? Or is it basically 50/50 every time if there are no witnesses and one of the people is lying...
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Pretty simple. Unkess its a 4 way stop, makes no difference who is there first.

In this case the car going straight or right has right of way. If you are crossing a lane, you do not.

This is why UPS trucks have a no left turn gudeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Pretty simple. Unkess its a 4 way stop, makes no difference who is there first.

In this case the car going straight or right has right of way. If you are crossing a lane, you do not.

That isn’t true. If a vehicle is already in the intersection before you reach your yield sign you must yield to it.

It does matter who gets there first.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    That isn’t true. If a vehicle is already in the intersection before you reach your yield sign you must yield to it.

It does matter who gets there first.
    Once you are already commited its kind of grey, if you chose to.commit when you didnt have right of way, You will lose. Being there first (except in a 4 or 3 way stop) does not give you right of way. Without witnesses you will also lose.. (As you should).

As an Uber driver i heed to the no left turn guideline as often as possible.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/16/world/...rns/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Good response, I remember other threads from the past on beyond where what the insurance companies settled/decided on was different then what the officer on scene and the laws said.
    Case is very simple, car A needs to yield as car B, even if car B signal right turn. What if B might be going straight through intersection (i.e. forgot to switch of blinker 10 intersections earlier). It is simple situation and car A has to exercise caution and yield. My casin gad this happen and was assigned resonsibility.

Well this explains the NE.

Once you are already commited its kind of grey, if you chose to.commit when you didnt have right of way, You will lose. Being there first (except in a 4 or 3 way stop) does not give you right of way. Without witnesses you will also lose.. (As you should).

As an Uber driver i heed to the no left turn guideline as often as possible.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/16/world/...rns/index.html
    Like I said if a vehicle turning left was in the intersection prior to the other vehicle reaching the yield sign the other vehicle is forced (legally maybe not in practice) to give way to the vehicle already in the intersection turning left.

A yield by definition means you have to wait for any vehicle already in the intersection to clear it.

My Ride
    This and that.

This is my understanding and someone correct me if I am wrong;

If a car is turning left and has the blinking green arrow indicating the left turn then that car has the right away. But if there is a solid green then the car on the opposite side which is turning right has the right of way. In this situation where the green turns Amber, then the car turning left which is presumably in the middle of the intersection would have the right of way so they can clear the intersection.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Waldi View Post
    Case is very simple, car A needs to yield as car B, even if car B signal right turn. What if B might be going straight through intersection (i.e. forgot to switch of blinker 10 intersections earlier). It is simple situation and car A has to exercise caution and yield. My casin gad this happen and was assigned resonsibility.
    It doesn't matter if car B was going straight or turning, he still has a yield sign, so has to yield to anyone already in the intersection.

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

Pretty sure the main reason is to avoid sitting at left hand turns waiting for traffic or lights.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    It doesn't matter if car B was going straight or turning, he still has a yield sign, so has to yield to anyone already in the intersection.
    Car B needs to yield to any traffic in the lane they are entering. Since Car A has to, by law, turn into the inside lane, there is no oncoming traffic in the lane that Car B has to turn in to (the curb lane).
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by FraserB View Post
    Car B needs to yield to any traffic in the lane they are entering. Since Car A has to, by law, turn into the inside lane, there is no oncoming traffic in the lane that Car B has to turn in to (the curb lane).
    Thank christ some one finally pointed this out. This is ridiculous, car A clearly performed an illegal lane change and is obviously at fault.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Thank christ some one finally pointed this out. This is ridiculous, car A clearly performed an illegal lane change and is obviously at fault.
    How do you know car B didn't do the illegal lane change?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    How do you know car B didn't do the illegal lane change?
    Which lane did the impact occur in?
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    E46 M3

Supposedly the impact occured in the left lane when Car A was completing its turn still. The diagram isn't the best for showing that.
    Car B said the sun was in his eyes and he didn't see Car A at all. Car B is also a big truck but don't think that's a valid excuse for not seeing a sedan. Regardless Car B doesn't admit fault.

Unfortunately no pics were taken of the cars after impact to prove positioning so it is back to a he said/she said.

My Ride
    changes every year

I pointed this out 8 posts in.

If you read OP said A turned into left most (inner) lane. Drawing doesn’t match description so no epiphany here....

Again by original description B didn’t yield to A that was already proceeding through intersection and apparently didn’t turn into correct lane if A did as described. B still at fault, holy bageebees.....
    Last edited by J-hop; 11-14-2017 at 09:08 PM.

It doesn't matter who got there first. They were there close enough in timing that they collided front fenders. A for some reason ignored his yield and assumed B would stop or yield for him.

They both had yields. Clearly A will be found at fault because chose to proceed when it was not safe. Left turning never has right of way. This is textbook reason why we dont take turns, and left doesn't have right.of way (except 4 way)

This happens all the time with opposing stop signs. Left turner must yield right of way. Doesnt matter who anyobe thinks got there first.

There's a reason there's no lane markings there. That won't mean anything

A is a dumbass and most you should have failed your learners.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 11-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.

It doesn't matter who got there first. They were there close enough in timing that they collided front fenders. A for some reason ignored his yield and assumed B would stop or yield for him.

They both had yields. Clearly A will be found at fault because chose to proceed when it was not safe. Left turning never has right of way. This is textbook reason why we dont take turns, and left doesn't have right.of way (except 4 way)

This happens all the time with opposing stop signs. Left turner must yield right of way. Doesnt matter who anyobe thinks got there first.

There's a reason there's no lane markings there. That won't mean anything

A is a dumbass and most you should have failed your learners.
    Gestalt you didn’t read A had already entered the intersection before B even got to their yield.

I’m sounding like a broken record here but ignorant drivers don’t get this. If there is already a vehicle in the intersection when you get to your yield you must give way, that is in the Alberta TSA and the drivers handbook.

Granted because many drivers don’t comprehend this you’re right A probably should have assumed B didn’t know what they were doing.
    Last edited by J-hop; 11-14-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast