Quantcast
TransCanada Keystone pipeline leaks 795,000 litres of crude - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TransCanada Keystone pipeline leaks 795,000 litres of crude

Nice! Thx Trump!

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

So sounds like a bit of work due to the alternative route, but still promising. Hope they don't use this approval against Trans Mountain.
    Cos...

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Approval is one thing, actual finishing construction is another. I anticipate several years of sit-in style protests to delay this. I'd be very surprised if it was built anywhere close to the advertised timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    Anyone see the report on the pipeline in the great lakes. 42 out if 48 sites inspected failed. An oil leak there would be deveastating.
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017...ust/393768001/
    This one? The one that just passed hydro at double MOP and almost 10x the regular operating pressure stated in the article? You've been reading Greenpeace weekly.
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Quote Originally Posted by g-m View Post
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017...ust/393768001/
    This one? The one that just passed hydro at double MOP and almost 10x the regular operating pressure stated in the article? You've been reading Greenpeace weekly.
    You are using to big of words for the average green peacer.

This pipeline consultant mentioned in the article doesn't even know what he is talking about.

"Hydrotests don't really test girth welds that hold pipe segments together," he said. "They will use other records to (assess) that. It also doesn't tell you about pinhole leaks."

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by spike98 View Post
    You are using to big of words for the average green peacer.

This pipeline consultant mentioned in the article doesn't even know what he is talking about.

"Hydrotests don't really test girth welds that hold pipe segments together," he said. "They will use other records to (assess) that. It also doesn't tell you about pinhole leaks."

Didn't read the article, just your quotes.

Girth welds aren't affected by pressure the way longwelds are. But they rarely are a problem until you end up with slope instability and the pipe in longitudinal tension, or if it's under water and there is a free span under it and there is vortex induced vibration. The coatings around girth welds, however, can be a problem. As for pinhole leaks, a hold test will check for anything currently leaking. But if there is something at 95% of wall thickness, and is very short, the hydrotest won't pop it.

edit: just read the article. My statements stand. But I am no way making a statement regarding Enbridge, Line 5, or providing any assessment on the fitness for service of that line.
    Last edited by Abeo; 11-23-2017 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Had to govern myself accordingly

My Ride
    Z

The hydro won't but the ILI will.

Weld records from construction would be evaluated and they could go do additional NDE if there were concerns. Coating repairs would be done as needed as well
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

Quote Originally Posted by Abeo View Post
    Didn't read the article, just your quotes.

Girth welds aren't affected by pressure the way longwelds are. But they rarely are a problem until you end up with slope instability and the pipe in longitudinal tension, or if it's under water and there is a free span under it and there is vortex induced vibration. The coatings around girth welds, however, can be a problem. As for pinhole leaks, a hold test will check for anything currently leaking. But if there is something at 95% of wall thickness, and is very short, the hydrotest won't pop it.

edit: just read the article. My statements stand. But I am no way making a statement regarding Enbridge, Line 5, or providing any assessment on the fitness for service of that line.
    No a hydro test wont pop it. Hydrotests aren't intended to be destructive testing. But a hydrotest will verify the integrity given any actual defects present. Especially one at 2 x MOP.

At any rate, my point is, these green peacer experts tend to use flashy words and spin things to make them sound big bad and dangerous when in reality, its not the whole truth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2