Quantcast
Time for a new kodi box - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new kodi box

My Ride
    2022 X2M

I have Kodi on two Apple TVs and a shield. I have tried the crap Android Kodi boxes in the past and would never go back that route again. With HEVC becoming more and more popular you need something that has a bit of power on board. I second the thought of a shield if you want android because the package works out of the box and you aren’t consistently dealing with issues.

If you know an Apple developer and have other Apple devices the Apple TV 4K is a very sexy package as well due to the auto format switching (the reason why I own two of these on the main TVs and the shield has fallen out of favour) and the SDR and HDR options. It also helps that the Chip in it is very overpowered for a tv box. Kodi on Apple TV however is not as simple as downloading the app like it is in the shield so that is still my suggestion unless your a heavy Apple device family.

For the questions above for apps it really depends on what you need. Everyday Exodus and covenant will still give you everything you need. Now days it’s less about the apps and more about the premium servers. Having Kodi and not using a debrid service is a disservice, everything I watch is now 1080p or 4K.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

I bought my kodi box like 4 years ago it lasted until v17.3. Couldn't find any new firmware to updated the android version. Now its just collecting dust.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have Kodi on two Apple TVs and a shield. I have tried the crap Android Kodi boxes in the past and would never go back that route again. With HEVC becoming more and more popular you need something that has a bit of power on board. I second the thought of a shield if you want android because the package works out of the box and you aren’t consistently dealing with issues.

If you know an Apple developer and have other Apple devices the Apple TV 4K is a very sexy package as well due to the auto format switching (the reason why I own two of these on the main TVs and the shield has fallen out of favour) and the SDR and HDR options. It also helps that the Chip in it is very overpowered for a tv box. Kodi on Apple TV however is not as simple as downloading the app like it is in the shield so that is still my suggestion unless your a heavy Apple device family.

For the questions above for apps it really depends on what you need. Everyday Exodus and covenant will still give you everything you need. Now days it’s less about the apps and more about the premium servers. Having Kodi and not using a debrid service is a disservice, everything I watch is now 1080p or 4K.
    So debrid is totally worth it then? I've been running Exodus but the lack of HD streams has been annoying but not a deal breaker as long as the quality at least passable and I don't feel like I'm watching a VHS version.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    This is what happens owning a Kodi box that is prebuilt. When Kodi updates they can and usually will break addons. Being that it was a 3rd person company who installed it you end with either a broken box or figuring out how to fix it.
    True. Also why pay for something you can do for free?!
    I installed Kodi myself. Just too lazy to keep up with the updates.

My Ride
    has 3rd party insurance

Install Terrarium TV app on android

I went for a MeCool M8S Pro with Libreelec. Plays anything I've thrown at it fine, including the odd 4k content. Was like $50 shipped from China.

I have a miibox. Has been pretty good so far, super easy to use too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    R50

I am also looking to replace mine that is stuck on Android Kit Kat and proprietary apps...

Was about to get a Chromecast to stream through a tablet, but saw this no name box that can handle 4k and it's supposed to be $50 on Black Friday.

It looks generic enough that I can load my own stuff in. Reading what you guys are saying, maybe better to stick with Chromecast for basic bedroom TV needs?

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...5805&sku=KT621

My Ride
    cbr600, z71 sierra, 4x4 kodiak

I am really considering the nvidia shield, and getting a real debrid set up.
    Hittin' every hole

1999 gmc sierra z71, 5.3L 4x4
    2004 cbr600f4i
    2008 kodiak 450

Quote Originally Posted by Boosted131 View Post
    I am really considering the nvidia shield, and getting a real debrid set up.
    Real Debrid is worth the price.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Agreed.

Like I mentioned before I use real debrid and premiumize

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cdnsir View Post
    I am also looking to replace mine that is stuck on Android Kit Kat and proprietary apps...

Was about to get a Chromecast to stream through a tablet, but saw this no name box that can handle 4k and it's supposed to be $50 on Black Friday.

It looks generic enough that I can load my own stuff in. Reading what you guys are saying, maybe better to stick with Chromecast for basic bedroom TV needs?

https://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cat...5805&sku=KT621
    The only issues I have with chrome cast is the need for another device.

I think the shield at its current price is a great deal. I have zero issues with my 3 Apple TVs (just bought another one last week) but I understand Apple is not for everyone lol.
    Last edited by Kavy; 12-15-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

Nvidia Shields are still only $199 for the time being, that is a ridiculously good price. No game controller at that price, but you still get the remote.

Nvidia has been great about updates as well and constantly add security and features, including the latest versions of Android TV. You get Amazon Prime Video on it too, since they are not at war with anyone like Google/Apple/Amazon.

It's also still by far the most future proof box on the market, supporting all kinds of things that most people don't even have yet (4K HDR 60fps, HDMI 2.0, wireless AC, etc.)
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-15-2017 at 12:18 PM.

My Ride
    4Runner

Hate to thread jack but can anyone point out what the main features are for boxes like these? I want to get one since there are so many nice deals popping up like this one https://www.amazon.ca/SAMMIX-Android...dp/B0759V2VHF/, but im not sure what you can actually do with it?

I understand you can basically watch free TV, but some people can play games, download apps etc. on it. I mainly want to watch Sports (NHL)and other channels on it, but what games can you play with it. What are these seperate apps are you guys downloading? Is it as easy as buying,install, and then watch TV? or do i need to download certain apps to stream channels?

Quote Originally Posted by Mostwanted View Post
    Hate to thread jack but can anyone point out what the main features are for boxes like these? I want to get one since there are so many nice deals popping up like this one https://www.amazon.ca/SAMMIX-Android...dp/B0759V2VHF/, but im not sure what you can actually do with it?

I understand you can basically watch free TV, but some people can play games, download apps etc. on it. I mainly want to watch Sports (NHL)and other channels on it, but what games can you play with it. What are these seperate apps are you guys downloading? Is it as easy as buying,install, and then watch TV? or do i need to download certain apps to stream channels?
    The cheap boxes are basically used to run Kodi, or sometimes NES/SNES emulators. Most of them are not very good, slow, and do not get reliable updates but they are inexpensive.

You can install things on these boxes that can let you stream free movies/tv/sports, but it is more complicated and can be somewhat confusing to set them up. Some boxes come pre-loaded with all those programs but I have not used one like that. With Kodi, you basically follow guides to hook into streams, and it is not straightforward but it's not difficult if you follow a guide. The streams can be hit and miss, and you can pay for premium streams. Some people use the Raspberry Pi to the do the same thing.

If you also want to play games, you will want something like the Nvidia Shield. It does everything the cheap boxes do, but is as powerful as two XBOX 360's. It will handle 4K/60P HDR and can even stream games from your PC or through Steam so you can play them on the big screen with the controller. You can also pay for access to tier-1 gaming titles that stream off Nvidia's servers if you wish, or you can play any number of the free/cheap games designed for Android or specifically for the Nvidia Shield TV. There are so many fun games for it. It gets timely security and OS updates from Nvidia as well. The other side of it is you get the best possible platform to run Netflix, Plex, Amazon Prime Video, etc. It is by far the snappiest box for navigation, and if you have a home theater it can handle DTS, DD, DTS MA, etc. audio and properly pass it through to your HT. It does not need line of sight and you can mount it behind your TV or whatever. At $199 it is a no-brainer right now ($239 if you want the game controller as well).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 12-19-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Right now, memory express has the Nvidia Shield with controller for $229. Probably the lowest price I've seen on this.

My Ride
    Ram

I really like my Red Rhino

My Ride
    4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    The cheap boxes are basically used to run Kodi, or sometimes NES/SNES emulators. Most of them are not very good, slow, and do not get reliable updates but they are inexpensive.

You can install things on these boxes that can let you stream free movies/tv/sports, but it is more complicated and can be somewhat confusing to set them up. Some boxes come pre-loaded with all those programs but I have not used one like that. With Kodi, you basically follow guides to hook into streams, and it is not straightforward but it's not difficult if you follow a guide. The streams can be hit and miss, and you can pay for premium streams. Some people use the Raspberry Pi to the do the same thing.

If you also want to play games, you will want something like the Nvidia Shield. It does everything the cheap boxes do, but is as powerful as two XBOX 360's. It will handle 4K/60P HDR and can even stream games from your PC or through Steam so you can play them on the big screen with the controller. You can also pay for access to tier-1 gaming titles that stream off Nvidia's servers if you wish, or you can play any number of the free/cheap games designed for Android or specifically for the Nvidia Shield TV. There are so many fun games for it. It gets timely security and OS updates from Nvidia as well. The other side of it is you get the best possible platform to run Netflix, Plex, Amazon Prime Video, etc. It is by far the snappiest box for navigation, and if you have a home theater it can handle DTS, DD, DTS MA, etc. audio and properly pass it through to your HT. It does not need line of sight and you can mount it behind your TV or whatever. At $199 it is a no-brainer right now ($239 if you want the game controller as well).
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah i wont be using it for gaming I have my Ps4 for that, so basically some come preloaded with apps and some dont? im guessing Kodi is one of the common streaming apps that everyone uses to watch TV and Movies? Any other apps you guys installed to make these boxes better for streaming?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Thanks for the reply! Yeah i wont be using it for gaming I have my Ps4 for that, so basically some come preloaded with apps and some dont? im guessing Kodi is one of the common streaming apps that everyone uses to watch TV and Movies? Any other apps you guys installed to make these boxes better for streaming?
    Kodi is NOT a streaming app. Kodi is a barebones media application that "companies" package with addons and such. If Kodi does updates it can render these boxes useless unless you know how to fix them. There is also NO customer support so you are on your own.

Kodi boxes are junk and way over priced for what they do.

My Ride
    4Runner

Quote Originally Posted by firebane View Post
    Kodi is NOT a streaming app. Kodi is a barebones media application that "companies" package with addons and such. If Kodi does updates it can render these boxes useless unless you know how to fix them. There is also NO customer support so you are on your own.

Kodi boxes are junk and way over priced for what they do.
    So what do you recommend?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

So what do you recommend?
    As already stated.. Shield

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast