Quantcast
Turning off the generator left on at new home build.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning off the generator left on at new home build....

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Default Turning off the generator left on at new home build....

Long story short, two showhomes being built across the street from me. They just started framing it today.

When I came home they had left two small generators running but it was loud enough that I could hear while I ate dinner and my tv room upstairs sounds like freight training running nearby.

Is it okay to switch it off? Logically it seems like I'm saving them some diesel money...is there some reason they leave it on is what I guess I'm asking. Or did they just forget?
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Well, if they poured concrete and you just killed their heaters and the concrete freezes, I hope you get sued.

you could also file a bylaw noise complaint, they can't leave them running all night.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Alterac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you could also file a bylaw noise complaint, they can't leave them running all night.
    That is the proper path. They wouldn’t have been left on by accident.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Well, if they poured concrete and you just killed their heaters and the concrete freezes, I hope you get sued.
    Damn, good thing I posted this...
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-20-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Yea good call turning it back on (hopefully the heaters come back on if that’s what they were running). The new builds near me they had to run generators at night for heaters in the winter at times I assume to keep stuff like pipes from freezing or the cement example given.

Just FYI for everyone you can (especially as a home builder or construction company) apply for a temporary noise exemption permit so you can legally run the generators at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterac View Post
    Not true, see above
    Last edited by J-hop; 11-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Darell_n View Post
    Isn’t there additives for the mix the remedy that issue?

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Generators can be run 24/7 as long as they are below the city Bylaw, I can't recall the City of Calgary but I know Cochrane is 70db so the standard 15KW Generator will be typically below the noise bylaw. You can ask the Builder or rental company to get a different unit or to move it to the rear of the house and they can build a sound wall, they should have no issue as long as they can fuel it. I have had to do this many times. If damage occurs from residents shutting them off they will lock the panel and get camera's. I used to work for a builder years ago and we had a guy shutting them off and it caused like 50K damage when the water lines froze over a weekend and as soon as it warmed up......Boom good bye hardwood, cabinets, ceilings etc etc. not a pretty scene for that guy but he was found responsible for the damages

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

How big are these generators? If they're just for heaters you can get some really good ones that are pretty quiet for a good price. Would be my first thought if I worked near houses rather than in the middle of nowhere

Quote Originally Posted by gyromonkey View Post
    Generators can be run 24/7 as long as they are below the city Bylaw, I can't recall the City of Calgary but I know Cochrane is 70db so the standard 15KW Generator will be typically below the noise bylaw. You can ask the Builder or rental company to get a different unit or to move it to the rear of the house and they can build a sound wall, they should have no issue as long as they can fuel it. I have had to do this many times. If damage occurs from residents shutting them off they will lock the panel and get camera's. I used to work for a builder years ago and we had a guy shutting them off and it caused like 50K damage when the water lines froze over a weekend and as soon as it warmed up......Boom good bye hardwood, cabinets, ceilings etc etc. not a pretty scene for that guy but he was found responsible for the damages
    Glad to hear the guy got caught and found responsible. Don’t screw with stuff if you don’t know what it’s for. Even if you think you’re being a Good Samaritan (although that guy sounds far from one)

Supposed to drop to -15 tonight

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Glad to hear the guy got caught and found responsible. Don’t screw with stuff if you don’t know what it’s for. Even if you think you’re being a Good Samaritan (although that guy sounds far from one)

Supposed to drop to -15 tonight
    I had no bad intentions whatsoever, just didn't know... The two generators are right on the street, and the panel was open so I just flipped it off, honest mistake.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Ouch! Any idea how much that ended up costing him?

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    I had no bad intentions whatsoever, just didn't know... The two generators are right on the street, and the panel was open so I just flipped it off, honest mistake.
    I know you didn’t, was referring to the example gyromonkey gave. sounds like that guy in the example was a grouch trying to make a point they had no right to and thankfully paid in spades for it.

But yea as you’re now fully aware don’t touch any construction equipment. Call the company in the morning.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Who's the Builder? or Rental company?

My Ride
    Silverado

Any reason for these sites to have generators running all night in tge summer?

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    I know you didn’t, was referring to the example gyromonkey gave. sounds like that guy in the example was a grouch trying to make a point they had no right to and thankfully paid in spades for it.

But yea as you’re now fully aware don’t touch any construction equipment. Call the company in the morning.
    That guy would deserve it if he was told not to do it and the reasons why...dammnn.
    Last edited by NissanFanBoy; 11-20-2017 at 10:35 PM.

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

I think he ended up paying more then 50% of the repair bill, I think they Gave him a break becuase the rental company was not fueling daily like they should have, so they and the builder paid the difference

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Any reason for these sites to have generators running all night in tge summer?

Most of the time in the summer they are being lazy lol. but some times when the is capped they will prep and pour the basement floor. Show homes are always a rush I spent 2 years solid building them for a big builder and its all about who can get the buyers in first

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    You would think, I mean there's equipment breakdowns...and of course residents that get mad or think they just leave it on by accident!!?

My Ride
    1991 Toyota Soarer

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    Burnco/Ready Mix/ Inland and all big companies add Winter additives, to prevent it from freezing in trucks and the pumps. it does help the basement but I think they only add 5-7.7% total so the water in the concrete still freezes so Heat is required. I think if they add more it affects the structure on the concrete

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

Burnco/Ready Mix/ Inland and all big companies add Winter additives, to prevent it from freezing in trucks and the pumps. it does help the basement but I think they only add 5-7.7% total so the water in the concrete still freezes so Heat is required. I think if they add more it affects the structure on the concrete
    Hmm, good to know, when they poured the foundation last week though it was consistently cold, if not colder, and they didn't run generators/heaters though...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast