Quantcast
Turning off the generator left on at new home build.... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Turning off the generator left on at new home build....

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just FYI for everyone you can (especially as a home builder or construction company) apply for a temporary noise exemption permit so you can legally run the generators at night.
    Not true, see above
    If you complain the city will make them move the generators or reduce the noise anyways, regardless of if they have a permit.

Even Noise Exemption permits are very easy to revoke if you have more than one resident complain. It only took two complaints in our neighborhood to shut down some generators in a similar situation.
    In our case we had put up with the noise for about a week before we started talking to the builder who told us to fuck off, then we filed complaints.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...on-Permit.aspx

Can a permit be revoked?
    The City of Calgary can revoke a noise exemption permit if the applicant has not taken sufficient measures to minimize the noise, or if conditions stated within the permit have been violated

What information do I need before applying for a permit?

When applying for a permit, you are required to provide:
    •Ways you will reduce the noise and stop any disturbance to the area residents.

Basically you can make them reduce the noise to prevent disturbances

Fact remains they weren’t breaking any rules though. You stated they weren’t allowed to run through the night which is false as a general rule is all I was getting at.

These threads make me wonder am I the only one that sleeps with ear plugs? I’m a light sleeper so 5 years ago I got accustomed to sleeping with them. People should try it, it’s great (unless you have an infant of course, durr)

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I picture the scene from ghostbusters when he shut off the power.

A construction site I was recently on at Cochrane had their generators inside of plywood boxes. Just don't turn them off though as there could be any number of good reasons as to why they keep them on and especially so when it gets cold - a cabinet install job I did in Airdrie this past week was delayed by two days because they removed the heaters and as a result, it got cold enough inside of the home that my glue, DAP and silicone would not set up. My mitre saw trips 15 amp breakers when it's cold as well and my Dewalt 20V charger will not charge batteries if they're too cold. Touch up painter couldn't work either.
    Last edited by speedog; 11-21-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by Alterac View Post
    If you complain the city will make them move the generators or reduce the noise anyways, regardless of if they have a permit.

Even Noise Exemption permits are very easy to revoke if you have more than one resident complain. It only took two complaints in our neighborhood to shut down some generators in a similar situation.
    In our case we had put up with the noise for about a week before we started talking to the builder who told us to fuck off, then we filed complaints.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...on-Permit.aspx

Can a permit be revoked?
    The City of Calgary can revoke a noise exemption permit if the applicant has not taken sufficient measures to minimize the noise, or if conditions stated within the permit have been violated

What information do I need before applying for a permit?

When applying for a permit, you are required to provide:
    •Ways you will reduce the noise and stop any disturbance to the area residents.

Basically you can make them reduce the noise to prevent disturbances
    Because Airdrie.

My Ride
    A bunch of Nissans..duh.

I got totally paranoid last night. I figured they must have poured the concrete before the framers came and put the floor joists and first floor down. Breathed a sigh of relief as they're already onto framing the second floor now.

I guess you could say beyond.ca saved me from inadvertedly causing some damage. Thanks.

To the guy that sleeps with earplugs, how the hell do you hear your alarm in the morning then?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Fact remains they weren’t breaking any rules though. You stated they weren’t allowed to run through the night which is false as a general rule is all I was getting at.
    by default they were breaking the rules, otherwise they wouldnt need to get a noise bylaw exemption.

the only thing you can go by is the bylaws we all have access too unless the bylaw office informs you differently, or the have any extra permits posted.

edit- im not saying he should have unplugged it or anything. i would just have spoke with bylaw or talked to the site super about it
    Last edited by Alterac; 11-21-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NissanFanBoy View Post
    I got totally paranoid last night. I figured they must have poured the concrete before the framers came and put the floor joists and first floor down. Breathed a sigh of relief as they're already onto framing the second floor now.

I guess you could say beyond.ca saved me from inadvertedly causing some damage. Thanks.

To the guy that sleeps with earplugs, how the hell do you hear your alarm in the morning then?!?!
    I don’t use any crazy ear plugs just cheapos so you can still hear things, like if someone was right beside you talking it would be really muffled but you could still make out what they were saying.

I’m a super light sleeper, furnace cycling disturbs my sleep. Ear plugs have been a lifesaver.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

You should have learned to sleep with white noise instead of earplugs. I trained myself to sleep with a fan \ AC unit \ Anything loud and it makes life so much better.
    Professionally Retired

Quote Originally Posted by KPHMPH View Post
    You should have learned to sleep with white noise instead of earplugs. I trained myself to sleep with a fan \ AC unit \ Anything loud and it makes life so much better.
    How is that better than earplugs though? Seems equal and requires nothing but 50 cents worth of foam

My Ride
    KTM

To continue the thread derail, once you start with ear plugs you cant stop. I now sleep with one so I can kind of hear the kids haha

My Ride
    Trucks

Quote Originally Posted by craigcd View Post
    To continue the thread derail, once you start with ear plugs you cant stop. I now sleep with one so I can kind of hear the kids haha
    Kids are the reason I started wearing ear plugs. My wife is a stay at home Mom so that's her business. lol

I shouldn't have to sleep with ear plugs while in my own home. That is absolute crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    I shouldn't have to sleep with ear plugs while in my own home. That is absolute crazy talk.
    When you live in an area where there will be constant noise (aka downtown condo, construction area etc.) it comes with the territory.

Op chose to buy new construction, but the reality is, construction noise will continue until the area is developed.

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    When you live in an area where there will be constant noise (aka downtown condo, construction area etc.) it comes with the territory.

Op chose to buy new construction, but the reality is, construction noise will continue until the area is developed.
    We actually made our final house choice based on this. Saw two houses back to back that we liked equally. One had an empty field across the street that obviously was going to be housing in the future so we chose the other. Sure enough a year after we bought the field by the other house was dug up to put in housing and whoever bought had to deal with the noise for over a year.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by lasimmon View Post
    my wife snores...i wear them every night haha. It kind of messes you up though, as i have to travel with ear plugs as i need true dead quiet...but i sleep like a rock now

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

What is this business about generators and heat?

I did new home construction for years, they'll have temp furnaces with propane hung in the basement. Source? I hung a fuck ton of those bitches back in the day.

Leaving generators on at night is fucking bullshit

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Their additive is hot water, it will still freeze

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by theken View Post
    Their additive is hot water, it will still freeze
    I slept through most of the concrete class at SAIT... but can say with confidence that there is a lot more than hot water to it...

My Ride
    Trucks

They are pouring the 80,000 sqft meat plant I’m working at in Acme. They are only using hot water, slab is kept warm with gas heaters powered from generators.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast