Quantcast
How best to buy high end watches? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How best to buy high end watches?

Default How best to buy high end watches?

Hey all,

I am considering buying a higher end watch but honestly have no idea where to find the best value and know I am buying the real deal. I am not talking full crazy baller level watches, but ideally something in the lower to mid'ish 4 figure price range and definitely sub 10k. Gently used would be an option for sure for something that absolutely grabs me.

I am not into really crazy busy looking watches either. My ideal watch would be something like the Panerai Luminor 1950 model or the like.

Is there local dealers or maybe some of you (Rage *cough cough*) have specific dealers who can help with something like this and who can find authentic used watches for good value? Also I am open to suggestions of other quality pieces that are cleaner and simpler in style like my fave Panerai...

Thanks!

My Ride
    Blue boy

Gem by Carati

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey all,

I am considering buying a higher end watch but honestly have no idea where to find the best value and know I am buying the real deal. I am not talking full crazy baller level watches, but ideally something in the lower to mid'ish 4 figure price range and definitely sub 10k. Gently used would be an option for sure for something that absolutely grabs me.

I am not into really crazy busy looking watches either. My ideal watch would be something like the Panerai Luminor 1950 model or the like.

Is there local dealers or maybe some of you (Rage *cough cough*) have specific dealers who can help with something like this and who can find authentic used watches for good value? Also I am open to suggestions of other quality pieces that are cleaner and simpler in style like my fave Panerai...

Thanks!
    if you're looking for authentic used watches a good place to look is watchuseek.com

My Ride
    Exploded.

Rage2 has connections with Calgary Jewelry, for sure.

:Thumbsup:

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

If you're looking for Panerai check out Brinkhaus.
    1950s are hard to find used, even on WUS after conversion you're probably going to be top end of your budget
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/search....chid=135387171

Super sharp watches! I've never seen a PAM I didn't like
    Good luck with the search Bob

Brinkhaus is an AD for Panerai, there are a few options you can have for under 10K.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I’d probably go with a 44mm Pam if that’s the look you’re after... if you must have a larger face... maybe a iwc big pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by ercchry View Post
    I’d probably go with a 44mm Pam if that’s the look you’re after... if you must have a larger face... maybe a iwc big pilot?
    I just couldn't do it... Totally stupid reason, but there used to be a shitty IWC wheel company and even though it isn't the same thing whatsover, the name sticks in my craw and I can't get over it. lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asian_defender View Post
    If you're looking for Panerai check out Brinkhaus.
    1950s are hard to find used, even on WUS after conversion you're probably going to be top end of your budget
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/search....chid=135387171

Super sharp watches! I've never seen a PAM I didn't like
    Good luck with the search Bob
    Places like that forum... How does one know they are not getting scammed? I would be terrified to buy something used off of a forum.

Just go into Birks try a watch you like on then run lol

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

That’s pretty funny

Not too many clean 47-50mm watches out there... so back to the 44mm, the non-chronograph version of the chopard gran turismo is pretty clean, bonus of being cheaper too! Plus the whole automotive thing

That’s pretty funny

Not too many clean 47-50mm watches out there... so back to the 44mm, the non-chronograph version of the chopard gran turismo is pretty clean, bonus of being cheaper too! Plus the whole automotive thing
    I think a 44mm is fine for my wrist/hand size... This Seiko I am wearing is a 43.5mm.

Name:  VGA2ysWl.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  47.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Not sure how deep they discount them... but msrp is for sure over $10k... but worth a try is the Rolex deepsea dweller/submariner... great weight and wrist presence

My Ride
    Blue boy

Not sure how deep they discount them... but msrp is for sure over $10k... but worth a try is the Rolex deepsea dweller/submariner... great weight and wrist presence
    Finance-able?

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

WUS (watchuseek) and TRF (the rolex forum) is a good place to look for preowned watches. Sub 10k, looking at a Submariner. Seadweller or Deep Sea is going to be above even used. If you go older than def probable.

You can go almost anything in the steels (datejust, sub ) for about 10k, less if discounted. Brinkhaus has been great. Birks is a little low on inventory. Both are owned by the same company.

My Ride
    Exploded.

WUS is awesome for getting used Rolex watches.

I saw some Submariners for $5- 8k depending on the rarity and the date/no date debacle. Panerai would be great for you, Bob!

My Ride
    2011 lexus is250 awd

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    I just couldn't do it... Totally stupid reason, but there used to be a shitty IWC wheel company and even though it isn't the same thing whatsover, the name sticks in my craw and I can't get over it. lol!

- - - Updated - - -

Places like that forum... How does one know they are not getting scammed? I would be terrified to buy something used off of a forum.
    You can check a users previous sales and their rep. It gives the option for other users to leave feedback about them. Generally the sponsors are pretty good. I've bought a couple of watches on here (Speedy, Seamaster) and it worked out great.
    Still have the speedy today and it's been running like a champ

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by BensonTT View Post
    Just go into Birks try a watch you like on then run lol
    Can't believe that actually worked. At least they have photo of the guy.

Definitely do a deep-sea/sea-dweller for your wrist. A sub is going to look tiny!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

The weak CAD has totally fucked pricing and discounts. I would hold off until CAD improves (if it ever does). You're paying a 30-40% premium right now pretty much compared to when the dollar was closer to par. Manufactures have increased the dealer cost more than retail price, so the discount margin has reduced. In the end, 30% premium with discounts added. Silly.

I've cut back significantly on purchases since it all went to shit. Bought a bunch of watches right before the manufacturers upped the prices.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The weak CAD has totally fucked pricing and discounts. I would hold off until CAD improves (if it ever does). You're paying a 30-40% premium right now pretty much compared to when the dollar was closer to par. Manufactures have increased the dealer cost more than retail price, so the discount margin has reduced. In the end, 30% premium with discounts added. Silly.

I've cut back significantly on purchases since it all went to shit. Bought a bunch of watches right before the manufacturers upped the prices.
    I procrastinated buying the blancpain FF in wanted... Then the dollar shit happened and now I'm too disgusted to pull the trigger.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast