Quantcast
RTDRS after the hearing paying the Order - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: RTDRS after the hearing paying the Order

Default RTDRS after the hearing paying the Order

So I got to deal with a fun hearing at RTDRS with a tenant that felt the premises were not up to code and requesting a refund of the rent money she paid. Long story short we were both able to win our cases as I filed a counter suit but the tenant was able to score additional money. As a result I have an order to pay her. I haven't been in this situation and before I refund her money I want to know if there some form or letter that she signs to indicate that she was paid the order and releases me of any further obligations for her past tenancy?
    Thanks

I already knew the outcome when i seen rtds, If you're a landlord you lose. The place mustve been pretty nasty if you had to pay her though lol
    If you really want to be safe i would get a lawyer to draft something up but i would think a simple letter written from you stating what the payment is for and also stating she cant pursue you for more would suffice. There are professional dead beat tenants out there who know how to work the system and then some so use your gut feeling and if you think theres a chance this could continue id pay the lawyer for something that could hold up in court if need be

Here's the thing I had a general release document (drafted by a lawyer) stating she will be paid in full and that she acknowledges the matter closed and can no longer pursue additional remedies but she refused to sign it and cited that there is no legal requirement for her to sign it. She is making this real difficult ARGH!
    So I drafted up a rather smaller version of the general release that leaves out all the legal jargon and basically summarizes the tenant order and that she acknowledges being paid in full without it being in any form of legal terms but plain English. She is agreeing to signing that with a witness.

I am wondering though if any of you that have gone through this have you had any negative experiences, anything you forgot or advise I should add in this document. I really don't want her coming after me again and having to go through RTDRS and worse yet small claims.

Thanks

Have you checked with the lawyer if that simple letter is enough? I would also contact the RTDS to see if they can put in the ruling that there can be no further action about this since they made the ruling.