Quantcast
Condo Board Bylaw Amendments - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Condo Board Bylaw Amendments

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Default Condo Board Bylaw Amendments

There are some bylaws I don't agree with and as a board member who is trying to make the place more livable for everyone would like to make some amendment requests.

Does anyone know the processes surrounding this?
    IE. we have a bylaw banning a motorcycle and a car in one stall (condo owners own the stalls), and this seems silly to me.
    Does anyone who lives in a condo have a similar bylaw? Or is this fire code?

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are some bylaws I don't agree with and as a board member who is trying to make the place more livable for everyone would like to make some amendment requests.

IE. we have a bylaw banning a motorcycle and a car in one stall (condo owners own the stalls), and this seems silly to me.
    There are a couple stalls in my condo that store both. I don't think we have a rule against it since no one seems to have a problem doing it. It might just be to prevent the end of cars from protruding too far into the lane?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Many of my bylaws dont allow 2 vehicles in one stall. One of my bylaws requires the vehicles to be driven every day. Others stipulate zero maintenance on a vehicle can be done in the parkade.

To change your bylaws you need 75% owner approval or you need to pay a lawyer around 5-7k to go to court to get them amended.

If your reasoning to changing the bylaws is because you can't park your motorcycle in your stall id say your a fool. Also I would wait for all the condominium act changes to take place as you may need to change some bylaws for that.

If all you want is 1 bylaw changed then why bother... there are lots of bigger issues/reasons a board should go this route. For example - short term rentals, Pets, smokers, age restrictions or clarification on poorly written bylaws.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

It depends on how hard asses the board and the PM are. Seems like they overlook some obvious bylaws as well.

Changing the bylaw - by even one line - is an exercise in futility in most cases. The PM and board dont incentivize the owners to respond to changes in writing (need something like 70% approval in most condos) and thus, most bylaw amendments never make it through.

Hell, even offering each owner 10$ to respond (either yay or nay) would probably get you the changes needed.

one of my property managers buildings had the entire building burn down from a cigarette. They had to change the bylaws to get the condo rebuilt due to crappy bylaws. During the process they thought owners would want to ban cigarettes/smoking as that was the reason everyone was homeless for 2 years... but no. They couldn't get 75% of owners to buy into that.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    one of my property managers buildings had the entire building burn down from a cigarette. They had to change the bylaws to get the condo rebuilt due to crappy bylaws. During the process they thought owners would want to ban cigarettes/smoking as that was the reason everyone was homeless for 2 years... but no. They couldn't get 75% of owners to buy into that.
    Canvas Millrise?

Balconies are pretty much solely used for smoking, storing junk and the odd BBQ.

In my building it was only a problem when people didn't park well, and their car stuck way out into the main driving areas because they left too much room around their bike. Or they ALSO had a storage unit in their stall. In that case it is legitimately annoying for other people. If there's plenty of room though then there is no reason not to allow it.

What I observed on my condo board is that people just join to execute their private little agendas, and then they want out. The people that do stay, don't care, and the 1-2 people who do care don't have the power or the free time to make anything happen. Rules were also too hard to enforce, and people got way too many warnings. I eventually moved out because of the 12th ave bike lane, but I can see why condo boards rarely get anything done.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-23-2017 at 05:06 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

If Millrise condo, part of the reason (other than some nubwad sticking a lit cig into a plantern) they suffered so much damage was that the attic/ceiling/roof space did not need (back then) to have sprinkler systems. They do now.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Im on my condo board, and only went on because of heavy handed frivilous complaints from the board. They have since stopped, but now i see what goes on behind the scenes and i shake my head.
    We almost need a whole new rewrite of our bylaws.

Im on my condo board, and only went on because of heavy handed frivilous complaints from the board. They have since stopped, but now i see what goes on behind the scenes and i shake my head.
    We almost need a whole new rewrite of our bylaws.
    Why do you need a re write of the bylaws? All you stated was a bylaw you don't like. That's not reason enough to change everything. You buy into a condo for the life style. The bylaws are known before moving in. You agree to these bylaws when you buy the condo.

It seems you don't understand what a board does. Their job is to make decisions for the community and to enforce the bylaws. Now because you don't want to follow certain rules you want to change the bylaws?

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Why do you need a re write of the bylaws? All you stated was a bylaw you don't like. That's not reason enough to change everything. You buy into a condo for the life style. The bylaws are known before moving in. You agree to these bylaws when you buy the condo.

It seems you don't understand what a board does. Their job is to make decisions for the community and to enforce the bylaws. Now because you don't want to follow certain rules you want to change the bylaws?
    The board has not provided reasoning for the bylaw, other than it's the way it is. Not good enough for me. The world changes daily... why settle for a bylaw from the '80's because thats how it is...
    Maybe i'm not as much of an expert on the subject as you seem to be, but i agree that they make decisions and enforce bylaws... But another role of their is to preserve the property and help to increase its value (both monetarily for the owners and livability for the owners).
    Having bylaws with no back bone doesnt suggest this.

the board didnt create the bylaws the developer did when they built the condos. The board is correct when they say it is what it is.
    Your job as a board member is to enforce your bylaws even if you don't agree with them. Board members can be held liable if you choose to ignore your bylaws or not enforce them.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Right. And how much attention does a developer really put into making these bylaws for each individual condo.
    I'd be willing to bet the bylaws dont change condo to condo by much if at all between buildings.
    Last edited by swak; 11-23-2017 at 11:06 PM.

they change drastically between buildings and between developers. They also change between projects with the same builder.

IMO you need to stop worrying about one minor bylaw that you dont like and worry about the bigger picture for the community. The rules are there for a reason.

My Ride
    2007 Infiniti G35S

Bylaws should be updated, especially if your running on ones from the 80's but they should be written by a lawyer. You should also read the condo act because anything in the Condo Act trumps the bylaws no matter what they say.

For example, if your by-laws say you cant have AirBNB, the condo act says you cant restrict how owners use their unit so that by-law wouldn't hold any weight and you cant enforce it. Lawyers are trying to use other things to stop AirBNBs.

It also costs anywhere from $2-6000 to change your bylaws and 75% of owners signatures. Not really worth it to change just to have a car and bike in a parking spot

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyZ View Post
    Bylaws should be updated, especially if your running on ones from the 80's but they should be written by a lawyer. You should also read the condo act because anything in the Condo Act trumps the bylaws no matter what they say.

For example, if your by-laws say you cant have AirBNB, the condo act says you cant restrict how owners use their unit so that by-law wouldn't hold any weight and you cant enforce it. Lawyers are trying to use other things to stop AirBNBs.

It also costs anywhere from $2-6000 to change your bylaws and 75% of owners signatures. Not really worth it to change just to have a car and bike in a parking spot
    I had no idea about the condo act.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

And.... just like provincial, federal and municipal legislation/regulations... condo bylaws need to follow suit and be updated regularly too. Thanks for seeing eye to eye on this.

EDIT: So if the act says the condo bylaws can't restrict how owners use their unit... Would it be agreed then that the condo can't stipulate what vehicle you put/how many vehicles/what kind of vehicles are parked in the owned and titled parkade stall? IE. I pay property taxes on my stall.
    So this 2 vehicles in one stall wouldn't hold any weight anyways... unless it was a fire code concern, and i've contacted the local fire hall and it isn't.
    Last edited by swak; 11-24-2017 at 06:51 PM.

My Ride
    Silverado

That's a legitimate bylaw.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    That's a legitimate bylaw.
    What makes you say this.

My Ride
    Silverado

Because the corporation can control basically all facets of the building.

I've read the act several times and they are not generally prescriptive as to what the bylaws can and cant enforce.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 11-24-2017 at 07:45 PM.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    You sound like one of those people who joined the board just to have a personal issue dealt with. I dislike when people do that.
    Actually, I don't even own a motorcycle.
    I have no personal interest in this debate. But can empathize for those who do deal with this issue. Thanks though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast