Quantcast
Condo Board Bylaw Amendments - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Condo Board Bylaw Amendments

Quote Originally Posted by swak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I had no idea about the condo act.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

And.... just like provincial, federal and municipal legislation/regulations... condo bylaws need to follow suit and be updated regularly too. Thanks for seeing eye to eye on this.

EDIT: So if the act says the condo bylaws can't restrict how owners use their unit... Would it be agreed then that the condo can't stipulate what vehicle you put/how many vehicles/what kind of vehicles are parked in the owned and titled parkade stall? IE. I pay property taxes on my stall.
    So this 2 vehicles in one stall wouldn't hold any weight anyways... unless it was a fire code concern, and i've contacted the local fire hall and it isn't.
    Honestly you are an idiot. The bylaws were in place before you or any other owners bought into the condo. You as an owner do not get to decide what bylaws you don't want to follow. In buying that condo youve already agreed to these bylaws.

Do you understand this at all? This isnt rocket science.

You are a perfect example of someone who bought into a condo without having the faintest clue on what a condo is or what you are buying into.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Quote Originally Posted by gwill View Post
    Honestly you are an idiot. The bylaws were in place before you or any other owners bought into the condo. You as an owner do not get to decide what bylaws you don't want to follow. In buying that condo youve already agreed to these bylaws.

Do you understand this at all? This isnt rocket science.

You are a perfect example of someone who bought into a condo without having the faintest clue on what a condo is or what you are buying into.
    As an owner I have a right to advocate for an update on bylaws though.
    I know these existed, doesn't matter.

My Ride
    NC1

very common in my building where there will be a bike and a car in a single spot. (WAterfront)

As an owner I have a right to advocate for an update on bylaws though.
    I know these existed, doesn't matter.
    nothing better then a new board member who wants to recklessly spend the corporations money. I can see it already. You'll update the bylaws and then want to change it again shortly after.

If you plan to change the bylaws everytime someone doesn't agree with the bylaws youll bankrupt the corporation.

nothing better then a new board member who wants to recklessly spend the corporations money. I can see it already. You'll update the bylaws and then want to change it again shortly after.

If you plan to change the bylaws everytime someone doesn't agree with the bylaws youll bankrupt the corporation.
    Holy crap, how did you come to a determination that swak is going to do anything you speak of?

And if the corporation is able to be bankrupted by just bylaw changes then there's more serious problems that should be addressed.
    Will fuck off, again.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Holy crap, how did you come to a determination that swak is going to do anything you speak of?

And if the corporation is able to be bankrupted by just bylaw changes then there's more serious problems that should be addressed.
    Did I exaggerate it a bit? Sure. But my point stands. Anytime someone gets fined they want to argue the bylaws. No one wants to pay a fine when their caught breaking a bylaw.

So the op wants to spend 7k to change 1 bylaw and will want to change it again shortly after when he finds another one he doesn't agree with. This Is reckless stupidity from someone who doesn't understand condo living.

It's almost as bad as one of my board members who wanted to spend 15k on flowers that would die in one season.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Did I exaggerate it a bit? Sure. But my point stands. Anytime someone gets fined they want to argue the bylaws. No one wants to pay a fine when their caught breaking a bylaw.

So the op wants to spend 7k to change 1 bylaw and will want to change it again shortly after when he finds another one he doesn't agree with. This Is reckless stupidity from someone who doesn't understand condo living.

It's almost as bad as one of my board members who wanted to spend 15k on flowers that would die in one season.
    For the record I have not been fined, nor do I own a motorcycle.
    I am a condo board member, speaking for the residents of the condo I reside in.

Thanks for your input though. You seem very educated. I respect your expert opinion, however.

My Ride
    2007 Infiniti G35S

And.... just like provincial, federal and municipal legislation/regulations... condo bylaws need to follow suit and be updated regularly too. Thanks for seeing eye to eye on this.

EDIT: So if the act says the condo bylaws can't restrict how owners use their unit... Would it be agreed then that the condo can't stipulate what vehicle you put/how many vehicles/what kind of vehicles are parked in the owned and titled parkade stall? IE. I pay property taxes on my stall.
    So this 2 vehicles in one stall wouldn't hold any weight anyways... unless it was a fire code concern, and i've contacted the local fire hall and it isn't.
    It's going to depend completely on how the by-law is written if it can be enforced, as I said, you cannot outlaw Airbnb outright but lawyers are finding ways around this using different wording.

My Ride
    Silverado

Actually, I don't even own a motorcycle.
    I have no personal interest in this debate. But can empathize for those who do deal with this issue. Thanks though.
    Ya my post my shitty so I edited it.

There are a couple on my board who think 10 grand is nothing. Our annual budget is less than $280k. If I wasn't there these people could have spent the entire 50k in the operating fund without even knowing. It doesn't help when the manager takes it upon himself to get a quote to repaint the place for $100k and almost gets quorum without even discussing it at a meeting. Fucking crazy.

We should actually have a dedicated thread for condo boards. I think it could be useful for for contractors and such. Maybe ask Leo would be the best place for it.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 11-26-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtsniffer View Post
    Ya my post my shitty so I edited it.

There are a couple on my board who think 10 grand is nothing. Our annual budget is less than $280k. If I wasn't there these people could have spent the entire 50k in the operating fund without even knowing. It doesn't help when the manager takes it upon himself to get a quote to repaint the place for $100k and almost gets quorum without even discussing it at a meeting. Fucking crazy.

We should actually have a dedicated thread for condo boards. I think it could be useful for for contractors and such. Maybe ask Leo would be the best place for it.
    I would fire that property manager. Problems with many boards is that they don't look at the condo board like a business. Too many new board members think it's nothing to spend an extra 10k here and another 20k there on items that arent needed.

Ops heart is in the right place regarding looking out for other owners but he's not looking at the boards money like his own nor is he looking at it like a business that he's responsible for running.

My Ride
    Edge

I'm on my condo board and a couple of years ago we had to put up signs stating no commercial vehicle parking due to a renter that continually parked his much too wide of a commercial vehicle in his assigned spot. And that despite numerous sanctions. We were just about to have him evicted when he suddenly up and left. We also don't allow parking of trailers.

There are legitimate reasons for condo corporations being allowed to stipulate what vehicles can and can't be parked on the property. Personally, not allowing a bike to be parked in front of a vehicle is pretty lame, unless it would cause the vehicle to protrude too far out.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I would fire that property manager. Problems with many boards is that they don't look at the condo board like a business. Too many new board members think it's nothing to spend an extra 10k here and another 20k there on items that arent needed.

Ops heart is in the right place regarding looking out for other owners but he's not looking at the boards money like his own nor is he looking at it like a business that he's responsible for running.
    .... and to that I had no idea how much it cost to change a bylaw. I do see our condo as a business and make decisions as such. It seems my other condo board members dont.
    If they came back to me and said its a $6000 change. I'd say put it off until we get a lump sum of bylaws to change... put it out for vote anyways because that costs nothing... and then just don't enforce it if we get that 75% vote.

... I mean, what about if a guy owns 2 motorcycles... does he really need 2 stalls. One for each??? So dumb.

Just fine people for parking two vehicles in one spot until you raise the $6k needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2