Quantcast
Canada #1 in personal Debt - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13

Thread: Canada #1 in personal Debt

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I got hockey gear from Sports Swap but eventually it was getting too expensive for my Ma so did soccer summer and winter. Truth be told, I think I'm better at soccer than hockey anyways so it worked out better in the end.
    Last edited by msommers; 12-08-2017 at 11:06 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not maxing out GRRSP money is idiotic. No excuse.
    why? If its not employer matched or something like that, IMO GRRSPs are bleh.

But i agree if its your average person and they aren't doing an easy method of saving for retirement like that, then they probably aren't doing anything else. At my work for the people who make 6 figuresish i'd say 25% are probably at varying degrees between hording money like crazy and doing ok, 25% are probably with no savings whatsoever but are doing 'ok', and 50% are probably paycheck to paycheck w/ maxed credit or worse. No one signed up for the group plan corporate setup.

I would say that is probably average for Alberta for anything remotely tradesish, although I think the number of people making 200k a year and being one paycheck away from disaster has significantly dwindled recently thx to the berta crash of 2014... mostly because those people are no longer making 200k a year and have already lost thier boat, skidoo, sidebyside, diesel 3500, corvette, RV trailer, yukon denali, quad, sled, last years sled, sled from 2 year ago, etc.
    Last edited by zhao; 12-08-2017 at 10:57 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    why? If its not employer matched or something like that, IMO GRRSPs are bleh.

But i agree if its your average person and they aren't doing an easy method of saving for retirement like that, then they probably aren't doing anything else. At my work for the people who make 6 figuresish i'd say 25% are probably at varying degrees between hording money like crazy and doing ok, 25% are probably with no savings whatsoever but are doing 'ok', and 50% are probably paycheck to paycheck w/ maxed credit or worse. No one signed up for the group plan corporate setup.

I would say that is probably average for Alberta for anything remotely tradesish, although I think the number of people making 200k a year and being one paycheck away from disaster has significantly dwindled recently thx to the berta crash of 2014... mostly because those people are no longer making 200k a year and have already lost thier boat, skidoo, sidebyside, diesel 3500, corvette, RV trailer, yukon denali, quad, sled, last years sled, sled from 2 year ago, etc.
    GRRSP with employer matching a % is what was being discussed. Not utilizing an instant 100% return is not smart.

If an employer is not matching is it even a real GRRSP?

The definition of a GRRSP is just an employer setup group program that contributes directly from payroll on a pre-tax basis. If your employer doesn't match contributions its still a GRRSP; one i dont see the point to unless you really value getting that tax benefit from a RRSP instantly.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    The definition of a GRRSP is just an employer setup group program that contributes directly from payroll on a pre-tax basis. If your employer doesn't match contributions its still a GRRSP; one i dont see the point to unless you really value getting that tax benefit from a RRSP instantly.
    Exactly. I'm not doing my GRRSP yet since I started at a new company within the last year, and they don't match until you've been there a year. Doesn't mean I'm not saving.

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    How can a cheaper lot make up for gas expenses, added wear and depreciation on your vehicle and increased insurance premiums?

Monthly pass costs $5/working day (assuming you work 20 days/mo
    The guy was driving to work before so presumably he was a-ok with actually using his vehicle.

LOL at thinking driving to work makes a material difference to your insurance premiums. Dude, it added like $12/year to mine... And I'm sure this guy hasn't bothered to phone his insurance company and tell them that he doesn't drive to work anymore.

This particular Impark lot is $50/month.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Yes there is but tell your kid, no more hockey and see the pain on their face.
    We went through this, and more, growing up. Explaining austerity measures to kids is not easy, but its the hard truth. I was lucky to have shoes (that fit) in many cases so when dad put the hammer down, it wasn't a huge surprise. Zero team sports allowed.

Now, my 3 brothers and I have never had issues with personal austerity or fiscal imprudence.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-09-2017 at 07:40 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

We used to drive the truck and camper out to Vancouver island in the summer. Had to skip it one year because we couldn't afford the fuel and ferry and it wasn't until years later that I really understood how tight things must have been.

I can tell you that when my dad died and the final accounting of his estate was finished, he was living basically day to day after working for a lifetime. Never once saw him splurge on a single thing. Has greatly impacted my attitude towards money.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    We used to drive the truck and camper out to Vancouver island in the summer. Had to skip it one year because we couldn't afford the fuel and ferry and it wasn't until years later that I really understood how tight things must have been.

I can tell you that when my dad died and the final accounting of his estate was finished, he was living basically day to day after working for a lifetime. Never once saw him splurge on a single thing. Has greatly impacted my attitude towards money.
    I dont want to turn this into a "who was more deprived" contest" .... LOL........but we lived in Nanaimo and many summers we did fuck all.

We had 1 car, which was gone all summer weekdays and some weekends with dad working, so we were stuck with nothing to do, save for cheap ass biking (thank god) and street hockey with neighbours.

My Ride
    NC1

The beauty of not having money as a kid makes you chase and appreciate it so much as an adult.

Not having those experiences hockey, nice clothes, vacations etc. as a kid is fine, I buy what I want when I want as an adult lol

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:15 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    The beauty of not having money as a kid makes you chase and appreciate it so much as an adult.

Not having those experiences hockey, nice clothes, vacations etc. as a kid is fine, I buy what I want when I want as an adult lol
    Definitely - my brother has silver spooned their kids and it shows. They will have no concept of fiscal prudence or austerity.

My pets growing up were the cockroaches in our tiny apartment. I know what it means to be poor better than most I'd say. That didn't teach me the value of money. That taught me the value of hard work.

Therefore, my views on money is work hard, PLAY HARD.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    LOL at thinking driving to work makes a material difference to your insurance premiums. Dude, it added like $12/year to mine... And I'm sure this guy hasn't bothered to phone his insurance company and tell them that he doesn't drive to work anymore.
    Last time I added a commute to insurance from just pleasure it made a fairly significant increase in premiums. This was for a declared 4 km commute. I believe it was at least 10-15%.

It is definitely not necessarily negligible.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last time I added a commute to insurance from just pleasure it made a fairly significant increase in premiums. This was for a declared 4 km commute. I believe it was at least 10-15%.

I had the same experience

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Getting a bit off topic here but generally speaking going from pleasure only to commuting should be anywhere from 5% to 15% difference depending on a few different factors.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Bicycle

Does he know about the Impark lot on 9th ave near the c train station?
    Just say gas off set the bus pass at $100. (It doesn't he got a F150).

Any parking that isn't free is a burden. We are outside the core and it's bit cheaper but still runs $150-$200+/mth.

The trade off is time, adds about 30min per day which isn't too bad.

This particular Impark lot is $50/month.
    Wow. that's a steal.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-11-2017 at 05:54 PM.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13