Quantcast
Backpacking ideas.. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Backpacking ideas..

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Default Backpacking ideas..

So some of you may know from my other posting that Im going to be laid off in the coming months.

Im thinking of going away for a couple of months. Maybe three. But it has to be dirt cheap. Shoestring budget. Then when I come back I can throw myself in the gruelling task of finding a job etc.

I backpacked Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore for two weeks when I was 21. I wished then I did longer, I was so preoccupied with work and bad people controlling my life, I forgot to live. There were places I wanted to see whilst I was in SE Asia. Angor Wat, maybe Laos, the James Bond Islands...But I did not have the time.
    I stayed in the cheapest hostels/huts only to sleep and ate mostly street food or cheap local restaurants. I went through to Singapore and got a flight back home.

The last ten years have been hell. Its been mostly working, not knowing if I would be kicked out of Canada. Then going back to the UK after my workpermit expired, broke and humiliated. Then returning to Canada and working...and working, almost homeless. Then finally buying my condo. Then work has been three years of not knowing if I will be laid off and stress.

Throughout the last 12 years I watched friends and acquaintance travel, go to concerts abroad and do the whole thing. It felt like I missed out a lot whilst I was fighting to get a bit stabilised in life and get the basics.
    My health has deteriorated a lot and I have to pace my daily activities. No running, hiking etc. I cant do the things my old 21 self would have done.

Im thinking of going back to Thailand or SE Asia (Cambodia etc). Find a beach and a hostel. Then slowly explore and make my way across a few countries. Then take a flight out of another country and go wherever.
    I have a friend in Sydney, Australia too. Ive played about with around the word tickets on the airtreks website and I honestly don't know where to go.

So my question is. If you had three months from March, shoestring budget. The most being spent being the flights ($1.5 - 3K) where would you go in the world? What would you like to see and experience?

Would just like to hear some ideas and discussion..

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Do a 3 week hike in Nepal, I did this and it was the most rewarding travel experience ever, and I travel a lot! We did the Annapurna trail, dirt cheap (accommodations are like $2 a night, all in under $10 a day when I went a few years back. It will only carry you for 3 weeks, but it's very rewarding. It is challenging and lots of walking, but beautiful at the same time. I went with my friends, but you can meet many people on the trek. I was never the hiking type, but I really enjoyed this. Sorry all of those other countries you mentioned I have been, but not as a backpacker, so can't comment.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Nepal is a great suggestion.

South America would be another.
    Ultracrepidarian

You could do Central Europe on that budget pretty easily, and you wouldn't even need to stay in Hostels the AirBnB's are so cheap. Trains between countries are absolutely dirt cheap as well. You also wouldn't be anywhere near your flight budget.

My Ride
    LNF

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-b...ncluding-taxes

I would fly to bangkok and then work your way into different parts of southeast asia. You said that you wanted to check out other parts and it is by far the easiest to make a budget last in these areas.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Throughout the last 12 years I watched friends and acquaintance travel, go to concerts abroad and do the whole thing. It felt like I missed out a lot whilst I was fighting to get a bit stabilised in life and get the basics.
    Ditch the FOMO, and avoid instagram when you do travel...you'll be happier

My Ride
    rally pig

I 2nd Southern America, Eastern Europe and Asia again.

You mentioned that you're planning to do the trip in March-April-May?

Few things to keep in mind though is that Eastern Europe will be cold, it will be the hottest time of the year in Asia and summer in South America.

If you're leaning with Asia and Europe, I would recommend the Trans-Mongolian train, you could start in Asia and end up in Russia/Eastern Europe but time you're going might not be the best.
    http://dereklow.co/one-month-on-the-...ride-for-1000/

Another train ride that piqued my interest is the overnight ride from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur.
    http://www.escapetraveler.com/singap...mpur-by-train/

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Thanks for the ideas.

Do you guys (don't laugh) still use travellers cheques? I used them back in 2001.
    I don't like the idea of taking cash.

My Ride
    LNF

Thanks for the ideas.

Do you guys (don't laugh) still use travellers cheques? I used them back in 2001.
    When I was in Thailand I just used ATM's to take cash out. Their were fees of course but they were not that bad. I would take out roughly 200-300 CAD in baht and carry it around.

Looks like it would cost around 10$ CAD for a withdrawal. Usually about 200 baht from the ATM and then a few dollars from TD.
    Last edited by mzdspd; 12-05-2017 at 03:43 PM.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Tickets booked!

Flight to Cambodia with a overnight in King Kong on the way. I have a couple of friends in Kong, will be nice to have dinner and catch up.

Then a flight home out of Bangkok. I'l figure out the rest in between as I go along.

Just in the process of getting my ass jabbed with vaccinations and looking for a backpack.

Oh man things have changed so much with technology.

Congrats on stepping out into this stressful event (if you've never done it)!
    +1 on ditching the Instagram.

Just talk with people at MEC. They're usually very good with recommending based on your needs.
    Even sleeping bag tech is insanely better than the 90s. So much more lighter, compressible and warmer.

Congrats! Don't forget to get a passport photo for your Cambodian visa. I forgot mine and had to bribe my way in. LOL Also keep as little as their awful currency as possible. Lot's of places will demand USD and give you change in their garbage money (It is physically dirty). Where are you flying into and staying your first few days? Make sure you make it to Sihanoukville if you want to get some nice beach time in.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I just ordered a Osprey Farpoint 40L backpack. I actually ordered it from the UK. With shipping and tax it still works out cheaper than buying it from Atmosphere..

I just need to buy some packing cubes, a power pack, a guide book and er... thats it. The rest (clothes etc) I'l pickup on the way there.
    I need to get my Thai Visa as im staying for over a month. Extra photos, copies of passport etc. Sort out some currency and get a memory card and selfie stick for my Go Gro.

I fly into Phnom Phen. I have not planned anything further than that as it depends on how much my health holds up.

Plan is to get to a Hostel for a couple of days. Then possibly head to some beaches in the south, maybe head north, maybe Laos if my health holds up. If not, do Ankor Wat. Then head over the border to Tie Land.
    I have to figure out a way to head south right after the border as there are some islands there. Then weasel my way to Bangkok. I already did Bangkok back in 2002. This time I want to see some things I missed out on.
    If my health is ok, then head north and explore. If not, head south and explore some islands, James Bond Island is one I always wanted to see and mong out on some secluded beaches and do some writing on my laptop. I might try and find some health spas that can pump water up my ass.

I'l be staying in hostels to save costs. But Ive seen some rooms for rent in some nice buildings that have the same costs. But will see how it goes.

Good choice on the Backpack, my Farpoint 55 has been to Japan and Central Europe with me now and it's amazing. I don't think I'll travel with a suitcase again unless it's just Hawaii or something easy. They also have a lifetime warranty that covers your own damage.

Packing cubes - Amazon

Power Pack - Amazon

Good luck!

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Good choice on the Backpack, my Farpoint 55 has been to Japan and Central Europe with me now and it's amazing. I don't think I'll travel with a suitcase again unless it's just Hawaii or something easy. They also have a lifetime warranty that covers your own damage.

Packing cubes - Amazon

Power Pack - Amazon

Good luck!
    I was tempted by the 55. Im just going to get one of those really small day packs that fold into your hand kinda thing.
    Maybe on my next trip..

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post

Packing cubes - Amazon

Power Pack - Amazon

Good luck!
    What power bank did you use?

Im looking at the Ankler Powercore 20100. Use's will be fore Go Pro and my power hungry old (dont laugh) Samsung S4.

My Ride
    G6

That backpack looks a bit big for carry on, no? I think even for a 3 month trip, I'd only bring a carry on pack. Unless you're travelling somewhere cold and need winter gear, you really don't need anything you can't fit in a carry on bag.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Yeah your right. I ended up getting a Osprey Farpoint 40L. It can be used as a carry on.
    Funny enough it was cheaper to buy from the UK. With shipping, taxes, brokerage fee's I still saved $60. I ordered on a Sunday night and it arrived Wednesday.

Just getting Visas sorted. I bought a packing cube. But gota take it back as I bought one thats too big. FML.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

I land in Hong Kong on the 7th at 5.15pm. My flight to Cambodia is 2.25pm the next day.

Im crashing at my friends who live near HKU Station.
    So Im guessing I would get out of the airport at 6-6.30pm. Jump on A10 Bus (40 Min ride). But my friend are stuck with kids. They recommended perhaps going downtown for a bit.
    Any recommendations where to stop along the way and get fat..? Im cheap. Street food, any nice views?

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

Thanks for the ideas.

DONT DO IT, I don’t this a couple,of years ago in Thailand and I had such a hard time using them, I end up taking most of them home and using atms!