Quantcast
Looking to switch downtown gyms. Suggestions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking to switch downtown gyms. Suggestions?

Default Looking to switch downtown gyms. Suggestions?

I've been working out at the Eau Claire YMCA for probably 6 years now, looking to make a switch for no particular reason other than just want to switch it up. I don't use the pool or the courts, I occasionally use the squash courts, and 99% of the time I'm there to lift weights. Since I'm paying what's likely a premium for all those facilities and all I do is push weight, then I could probably save a couple bucks too.

I'm usually there in the mornings before work, so usually on a bit of a time crunch during the week, and weekends just whatever time of day I feel like going that day.

Suggestions? World Health in the +15? Goodlife?

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Aside from that skinny "oly" lifter and that idunnowhat asian that supersets and hogs 3-4 gym equipment, it's a pretty pleasant and quiet gym compared to others.

Surplus of gym equipment at least 6 squat racks and endless cardio machines
    No bros
    All middle-aged, professional working class kinda people
    No thots that wants attention 24/7

There's the occasional Filipino teenage bro's but they go in the afternoons.

I think I see you there in the mornings sometimes when I go OT on my workout session.
    #notacreeper #onlyknowucozcarshows

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aside from that skinny "oly" lifter and that idunnowhat asian that supersets and hogs 3-4 gym equipment, it's a pretty pleasant and quiet gym compared to others.

Surplus of gym equipment at least 6 squat racks and endless cardio machines
    No bros
    All middle-aged, professional working class kinda people
    No thots that wants attention 24/7

There's the occasional Filipino teenage bro's but they go in the afternoons.

I think I see you there in the mornings sometimes when I go OT on my workout session.
    #notacreeper #onlyknowucozcarshows
    You're talking about the Y that has all this? One of my favorite things about the Y is that there's no bros and it's mostly middle-aged dads. Downside is that there is literally zero eye candy, not that that's of huge concern since I've been there for 6 years now. I usually have my headphones in and am trying to get in and out without talking to anyone, but come say what's up if you know me.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I went to Goodlife in Eau Claire Market when I had a free month long guest pass from some Sport Chek promo. The facilities weren't as nice as Eau Claire YMCA, but it wasn't terrible. I can't speak on the crowds cause I always went during off hours after work, about 6'ish. I went a couple Sunday afternoons and it was dead there too.

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

I go to the Anytime Fitness beside Hotel Arts. The free underground parking for 2 hours is nice and if you go in the mornings/weekends it generally isnt too busy. Its fairly busy right after work (5-7 pm). Only drawback is there is only 3 squat racks and a limited amount of benches. It's a step down from the YCMA or Goodlife/World Health but I feel its less busy and cheaper too.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    You're talking about the Y that has all this? One of my favorite things about the Y is that there's no bros and it's mostly middle-aged dads. Downside is that there is literally zero eye candy, not that that's of huge concern since I've been there for 6 years now. I usually have my headphones in and am trying to get in and out without talking to anyone, but come say what's up if you know me.
    Yup, the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA. There's zero eye candy but that's a good thing, less distraction, and defers the bros from coming in.

I am usually in early and leave before 7:15 but sometimes I go until 8:00. $72/month is quite up there but with corporate discount it is not too bad on what they offer (shower, pool, drop-in classes).

Assuming the OP lives and works close to Eau Claire, then Goodlife would be the closest. The good thing about that particular Goodlife in Eau Claire, I believe that since it used to be an old Gold's Gym, they should have some of the better yellow Hammer Strength equipment. It's been a while but IIRC all of the former Gold's gyms all had that type of machine.

Depending on where you work downtown, there's also the Stephen Ave location, as well at Mount Royal - just off 17th ave.

The eye candy is in the pool. There was one very nice hot woman a couple of weeks ago that decided to swim in a very very skimpy two-piece while I was there.

There's sometimes some nice girls in the workout area during lunch time. There is one middle aged lady with zero body fat with the most magnificent nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    The eye candy is in the pool. There was one very nice hot woman a couple of weeks ago that decided to swim in a very very skimpy two-piece while I was there.

There's sometimes some nice girls in the workout area during lunch time. There is one middle aged lady with zero body fat with the most magnificent nipples.
    You don't sound like a creep at all...
    Always laugh when I see guys in the gym obviously creepin.

Let's just say those nips could put out your eye.

I live in Beltline and work at Fifth Ave Place, so I'd consider the Goodlife in Beltline too.
    Eau Claire is actually a bit out of the way, it's just habit now for me to go there.

I'm at $82 but that also includes a tote box.

Does your building have a gym? It might be free to use for tenants, and there might be better eye candy there.

Quote Originally Posted by A2VR6 View Post
    I go to the Anytime Fitness beside Hotel Arts. The free underground parking for 2 hours is nice and if you go in the mornings/weekends it generally isnt too busy. Its fairly busy right after work (5-7 pm). Only drawback is there is only 3 squat racks and a limited amount of benches. It's a step down from the YCMA or Goodlife/World Health but I feel its less busy and cheaper too.
    I used to go there too and enjoyed my time there. The free underground parking is amazing, especially in the winter or if it hails while you're at the gym. I paid $57/mo and it was never busy after 7pm. Individual TV's on all the cardio machines too.

My Ride
    NC1

oh crazy and I never ran into you at all! haha

I liked that location for all the above reasons but ended up canceling because I thought it was too expensive and now I use the condo gym lol

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    You don't sound like a creep at all...
    Always laugh when I see guys in the gym obviously creepin.
    mmmmmmm But those nips...

i went to eau claire goodlife for a while, daily around 1pm. nice and empty then. It's an OK gym, only have 3 racks i think, then one rack in the trainer room.. change rooms/showers were clean most of the time. Nothing really stood out to me in a negative or a positive way i guess haha. Jugo juice and subway in the same building were a nice touch

17th goodlife i didn't like. weird set up and it seemed busier/smaller.

I've only played squash at the Y so i cant compare the gyms sorry.

I go to World Health in Calgary Place and have nothing but good things to say. Usually not too busy, even during the lunch/after work rush. Eye candy is not phenomenal, but some attractive girls definitely frequent. Facilities are new and nice and clean. I use steam and sauna quite a bit which is nice, and my membership grants me access to all World Health which is a bonus since the Edgemont location has an outdoor pool in the summer.

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

More bros, screamers, grunters, weight tossers at goodlife downtown. I came to this thread just to recommend YMCA :S. I packed up though and invested in my own equipment as I hated the wasted time commuting to the gym and waiting for equipment.
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Quote Originally Posted by beyond_ban View Post
    I go to World Health in Calgary Place and have nothing but good things to say. Usually not too busy, even during the lunch/after work rush. Eye candy is not phenomenal, but some attractive girls definitely frequent. Facilities are new and nice and clean. I use steam and sauna quite a bit which is nice, and my membership grants me access to all World Health which is a bonus since the Edgemont location has an outdoor pool in the summer.
    I was at bay World health and when Calgary place opened went there a bit as it was closer to my offfoce. I️ really disliked the set up i thought it got super busy at lunch and after work so I started going back to bay. Now my building opened a gym so I️ go there now.

Quote Originally Posted by buh_buh View Post
    I live in Beltline and work at Fifth Ave Place, so I'd consider the Goodlife in Beltline too.
    Eau Claire is actually a bit out of the way, it's just habit now for me to go there.

I'm at $82 but that also includes a tote box.
    Standard Goodlife pricing is about $24 bi-weekly. You should check if your company has a corporate rate though, tons do.

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    More bros, screamers, grunters, weight tossers at goodlife downtown. I came to this thread just to recommend YMCA :S. I packed up though and invested in my own equipment as I hated the wasted time commuting to the gym and waiting for equipment.
    Eau Claire Goodlife, or one of the others?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

I vote Repsol Center. It's the best value and offers the most as a facility. AFAIK this is the only place you can do this downtown:

Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast