Quantcast
Growing financial wealth vs Buying vehicles - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing financial wealth vs Buying vehicles

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I find it ironic that most help insure that they are never truly wealthy by buying cars to make them look wealthy
    Ensure

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimmyJames View Post
    Ensure
    He knows everything, so he must have meant that people are insuring their cars too much, thus limiting their ability to be wealthy.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm planning on a C6 Z06 at around 38-40. I have equity in my condo and have minimal consumer debt. I agree on enjoying life while you're young
    and live a little more humble as you age. If I make it to 70-80, I don't think I would want to have any crazy toys that I couldn't handle. There is
    nothing more sad to me than seeing grandpa fumble around in his Corvette while driving it like a Camry. I want to have my performance toy while
    I'm still physically and mentally sharp enough to really enjoy it. Heck, I think a C6 Z06 is 40 K now. Depreciation is awesome!!

I agree on buying a 2-4 year old car that has already taken the biggest depreciation hit. My trouble is hanging onto cars long enough to not be
    at all upside down! Longest I've lasted so far is just shy of 3 years with my Z28. Did well with that one. Paid $9900 and sold it for $7500 while having
    a ton of fun in the process. Cars aren't investments
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 12-07-2017 at 09:27 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    My Q5 makes me feel poor... everybody I see has the SQ5, lol
    I'm waiting for when you offer to sell me that Q5 :P

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I'm planning on a C6 Z06 at around 38-40. I have equity in my condo and have minimal consumer debt. I agree on enjoying life while you're young
    and live a little more humble as you age. If I make it to 70-80, I don't think I would want to have any crazy toys that I couldn't handle. There is
    nothing more sad to me than seeing grandpa fumble around in his Corvette while driving it like a Camry. I want to have my performance toy while
    I'm still physically and mentally sharp enough to really enjoy it. Heck, I think a C6 Z06 is 40 K now. Depreciation is awesome!!

I agree on buying a 2-4 year old car that has already taken the biggest depreciation hit. My trouble is hanging onto cars long enough to not be
    at all upside down! Longest I've lasted so far is just shy of 3 years with my Z28. Did well with that one. Paid $9900 and sold it for $7500 while having
    a ton of fun in the process. Cars aren't investments
    The case for driving nice cars is exactly as your last line illustrates: Your Z28 cost $2400 to own (plus maintenance) over 3 years - pretty good. You could apply the same math to a high-end sports car, C6 Zo6 in your case. Buy it for $40,000 (have to buy under market value), then sell it 3 years later for $37,600. Completely doable and gets you a way better car, for the same amount of money (plus maintenance). Ages ago Chris Harris presented that model when asked how he afforded a Ferrari 550, as well as his RS 4.0. The only thing you are sacrificing is the opportunity cost of the money involved.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBum5.0 View Post
    The case for driving nice cars is exactly as your last line illustrates: Your Z28 cost $2400 to own (plus maintenance) over 3 years - pretty good. You could apply the same math to a high-end sports car, C6 Zo6 in your case. Buy it for $40,000 (have to buy under market value), then sell it 3 years later for $37,600. Completely doable and gets you a way better car, for the same amount of money (plus maintenance). Ages ago Chris Harris presented that model when asked how he afforded a Ferrari 550, as well as his RS 4.0. The only thing you are sacrificing is the opportunity cost of the money involved.
    Hmmmmm..is 32 too young for a C6 Z06? . Key part is as you say, not overpaying to begin with!

What also isn't factored into this is the modifications to the vehicle.

You will never get that money back.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by RealJimmyJames View Post
    Ensure
    He knows everything, so he must have meant that people are insuring their cars too much, thus limiting their ability to be wealthy.
    Dictionary
    : to make certain especially by taking necessary measures and precautions
    That is a fairly neutral definition, insure can be both used in the positive and negative connotations, one can certainly "make certain by making necessary measures and precautions" that they never have wealth. Also, writing Ensure always makes me think of the food supplement drink, regardless of the actual context. Insure/Ensure are essentially interchangeable FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES (the capitalized portion is a joke)

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    What also isn't factored into this is the modifications to the vehicle.

You will never get that money back.
    Yep. And it most cases, that will make the value of the vehicle decline and limit potential buyers. However, if you're smart and keep your stock parts you can swap things back to normal and get 50 cents on the dollar for the modifications.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

My vote is to grab a 2013 Audi S4/S5 6MT, a well-maintained one will have little to no issues. Of course the tires and brake set are not cheap, but not overly expensive if you shop around.

Actually, while you're young and no responsibilities, I would start with an impractical vehicle like a Honda S2000 or 2009+ Porsche Cayman S and get that out of your system before getting a sedan.

If you must have a sedan but scared of maintenance issues then try to look for a 2010+ Lexus IS-F.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    My vote is to grab a 2013 Audi S4/S5 6MT, a well-maintained one will have little to no issues. Of course the tires and brake set are not cheap, but not overly expensive if you shop around.

Actually, while you're young and no responsibilities, I would start with an impractical vehicle like a Honda S2000 or 2009+ Porsche Cayman S and get that out of your system before getting a sedan.

If you must have a sedan but scared of maintenance issues then try to look for a 2010+ Lexus IS-F.
    Is the 2013 S5 the V8 still? Because the supercharged V6 S4 is a rocket.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post

I don't do the sedan thing, but a manual S5 would be pretty wicked. Can you get a 6mt coupe non vert?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Not sure if I'd go the Audi S4 route, but my fondest memories was blasting in my now gone E92 M3 down highway 28 on Van Island to Gold River. Just everything fit together perfectly, the car (the V8 and DCT were meant for each other) and the road + scenery. Financially speaking it probably wasn't the best purchase. 09' M car @ $50k with no warranty. Sold it three years later for a $10k loss to fund a house purchase + basement build. For now I'm in a boring ol' Acura. I have no regrets with any of my previous performance cars, sure they were expensive but life is short and before you know it you are in your 30's and 40's. Enjoy life, within your means, while you are still young.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallowed_point View Post
    I don't do the sedan thing, but a manual S5 would be pretty wicked. Can you get a 6mt coupe non vert?
    You can, but it's rare. Buddy of mine bought a white S5 in 6MT non-vert but sniped on it the moment it showed up.

My Ride
    G37X

Quote Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
    You can, but it's rare. Buddy of mine bought a white S5 in 6MT non-vert but sniped on it the moment it showed up.
    Cool... S5 6-6

how bad can an S4 be? what are some comparable sport/luxury sedans that come in manual?

My Ride
    Nissan x2

Quote Originally Posted by chungstachung View Post
    how bad can an S4 be? what are some comparable sport/luxury sedans that come in manual?
    E90 M3, although the 6MT kinda sucks in it.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jutes View Post
    E90 M3, although the 6MT kinda sucks in it.
    It’s a little notchy... but I wouldn’t say it sucks at all

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by chungstachung View Post
    Manuals are hard to find in this class, period. And I don't trust DCT for longevity.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-08-2017 at 06:23 PM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Shit reading this last page of this thread is talking me into another car haha.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast