Quantcast
Toilet installation? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toilet installation?

Default Toilet installation?

How much should i be paying for installation? Already bought a new toilet.

Big stores quoted $150+ which seems a bit excessive, especially as it doesn't include taking away the old one.

Any recommendations? Don't really want to do it myself as I'm not good at plumbing

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Escape View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much should i be paying for installation? Already bought a new toilet.

Big stores quoted $150+ which seems a bit excessive, especially as it doesn't include taking away the old one.

Any recommendations? Don't really want to do it myself as I'm not good at plumbing
    it's really simple as a DIY project. drain the toilet, shut off the water line and disconnect it. loosen off the 2 9/16" bolts on the floor and remove the old toilet and wax seal. put in the new seal, and pretty much reverse the process to install the new one. One of the easier things you can do as a DIY.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Agreed.

Super easy DIY. Make sure you remove the old seal first, don't skip that.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

You guys don't know what flange he's got. Could be an old lead one.
    New flooring? That'll change the scope of project. Don't double up on that wax ring.

- - - Updated - - -

$150 seems about right to just get a plumber to show up.

If it's just a simple toilet swap, then like previously said it's super easy to DIY.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Super easy 5-10 min job as others have stated, assuming it's just an in place replacement and not part of reno with different floor heights etc. Do it yourself, pickup a skill or two, and next time try something harder. I am surprised people will pay the price of a new pretty good toilet to have one installed.

It's dead simple, I've done it about 4 times now. Very few tools needed, and lots of the new toilets come with everything you need including the wax ring. Definitely do not pay someone to do it unless you have a unique situation.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

You’ll probably also have to build the toilet... but there is probably a very easy picture heavy guide to the whole thing in the box... if you can build an ikea end table, you can install a toilet

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Not to mention when you install it yourself, taking the inaugural shit is just that much more gratifying.

My Ride
    V8s

If you can tie your shoes, you can install a toilet. I'm sure there's some step-by-steps on youtube if you're unsure.

I'm not ragging on the OP because there are many, many people like him out there. What I do wonder about is how they came to be like this whereas what are very simple tasks are outside of their comfort zone. Myself, I grew up in small prairie towns and was often on a farm so learning how to fix/build things was just a part of growing up. As a result, I'll take on many tasks in my home even though I've never done them before - rebuilt our downstairs bathroom including sweating in all of the copper plumbing, replaced our water heater in 90 minutes, old double garage door and opener out and new ones in and working in 3 hours. Vehicle stuff I do less of but I have replaced water pumps, brake rotors including bleeding the system, struts, sway bar links, power steering pumps, clutch fans - the more complex shit I leave to others because I do not have the facilities to properly facilitate such things.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-02-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Bro you grew up in a rural setting and now you are a tradesman who works with tools and his hands daily. That's not even close to a typical situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

I suppose you have a point and I've had people tell me to get into the handyman business but the problem is people want superior work done by a competent tooled up person at bargain basement prices.

$150 to install a toilet - how many thousands of dollars does a competent tradesperson carry and there's their liability and WCB costs.
    Last edited by speedog; 12-02-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Why get dirty and wet so save $80. You probably ate fast food worth more in the last week.

Kijiji is your friend. Try and combine it with some other jobs, they charge very little extra once already on site. we jsut had 1 toilet changed, 2 the mechanism swapped for new, kitchen taps changed, and a leaky pipe repaired. was $300 including the parts, minus cost of the kohler throne and costco taps.

Uh guys?

Escape has escaped.

My Ride
    NC1

I'm in the club of not being able to do anything handyman related other than changing light bulbs. Oh well. I'll survive lol

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

speaking of toliets, anyone got some good connections for a couple of Toto Drake II?

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Bro you grew up in a rural setting and now you are a tradesman who works with tools and his hands daily. That's not even close to a typical situation.
    I work in IT and I can do all my house stuff and car stuff. I think it comes down to how you were raised. I learned most everything from my dad, mostly because I was curious and was always with him when he would be working on anything. My dad learned out of necessity growing up in Siberia. Regardless, it's gratifying doing your own work, and most of the time, it's dead simple and save $$$$$$$ over a lifetime. With YouTube you can learn to do anything pretty much if you don't have anyone else to learn from.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

You kind of prove my point too. Sure it's not hard if you grew up doing it. But if your parents didn't do that stuff it's a much steeper learning curve and once you need to buy tools you basically don't save any money at all.

I do a decent amount of stuff around my house and on my vehicles but my dad never did anything like that as far as I know. My brothers don't own any tools and don't do any handy stuff.

Funny enough I'd rather change the rotors on my vehicles than paint anything. Fucking hate painting. Apparently it's easy, but causes me anxiety and rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Access to tools is a big one too. I spent most of my life working in Oil&G, with access to full shops and all tools imaginable. Now that I'm out of that industry, I have little access to tools. Don't own very many. Don't have a garage. I never used to take my vehicles to a mechanic until I moved to Calgary.

Could still swap a toilet though.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast