Quantcast
Hipsters go glamping - RV sales continue to grow - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Hipsters go glamping - RV sales continue to grow

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Took my family 'glamping' this summer at Sundance Lodges and we rented a Trappers tent. Worked great for us considering our last trip rained 1/2 the trip and everyone was miserable. Tent, 4 beds with plastic mattress and a covered picnic table. Worked pretty damn well. Not sure I would use a trailer enough to justify, but can certainly see the appeal vs tenting. Wouldnt bother with the 75k+ RVs though... unless you are cross country.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love my 77 Boler 1300. I really do.

I was a Tent Only guy for my whole life, and we inherited this trailer so to speak.

Ripped out the fridge stove furnace as they were junk anyways added cabinets and storage to it instead, have a little buddy heater if it really gets cold. I can pick up the trailer tongue and roll it wherever it needs to go, it holds everything we need, its a warm memory foam bed up off the ground and its dry. Thats winning, while still actually enjoying the true camping side of it without the huge hassle of set up, take down, cleaning out, maintenance and cost involved with storage, winterizing, plumbing and electrical stuff. I spent the last 34 years camping on the ground in a tent and I fuckin hate setting them up or taking them down in the rain, let alone the getting in and out of them, their attraction for flies, and the way they smell.

We like going to crown land and smaller campsites where you dont find the obnoxious children and massive mobile homes with the satellite dish and 55 inch tvs and shit, thats ridiculous. Maybe if youre retired and all you do is cruise north america with no fixed address (That would be awesome) but yeah these "Holiday trailers" are getting absurd. Just get a cabin, will be cheaper in the long run, or as someone above said, park it, deck it, and make it a great place to go to thats already set up and no need to tow. And Its not one of those "I cant afford it so I hate the people that have them" type arguments, we would rather air travel and stay at awesome places for that price, we dont want to own a truck to pull it either, our SUV does just fine, so a huge savings on fuel too for the other 350+ days a year you dont need a truck.

And for those that camped when it was just the Spouse and yourself and now you have kids and your kids cant handle a weekend without absolutely all the comforts of home and sit inside on their ipads and blurays then you need better kids, or dont go camping. Write that fun chapter of your life off. Very few things in life that are better than sitting around the fire with friends and loved ones without cell service telling stories having bevvies cookin your snacks on the fire, eating chips, shelling peanuts, smokin cigars and taking a leak out under the stars, coming home smelling like you lived in a teepee for a week, unshaven, unkempt and laughing to yourself about the funny shit people did while you're on the drive to work the next day. Some folks will never experience what that's like and that's a real shame.

To each their own, I am in no place to judge what people should or shouldn't do with their free time and finances. I myself cant understand what the point is of taking home with you when you camp, like if you cant even rough it just a little bit, why not just stay home and your roast vegan spouted gluten free chai infused marshmallows on your Restoration Hardware faux fur reclaimed double wide sofa and not have to worry about the packing and unpacking and your kids dirty faces and purel soaked hands. But... we all know a lot of folks that move out here and do the whole 'Berta thing with trucks and quads and trailers and boats and skidoos and all this other shit. Then they cant figure out why they're drowning in 4 or 5 grand a month in high interest long term financing and storage/upkeep costs for these toys. Or they go to sell them and they still owe twice what its worth.

Alas, I digress.
    this whole post equates to judgmental bullshit coming from someone that uses a trailer but judges people that have different trailers and use them differently.

what a douche bag.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    KTM

I started out like everyone tented when I was younger, then bought a couple trailers.....each one longer than the next and the trucks required to pull them. I always bought used and did well on my purchases of both trucks and trailers, I would say aside from maintenance(mostly tires, alignment) and storage I always broke even when selling.

That being said I found it to be a massive hassle, likely because I couldn't store it at my house. The constant back and forth from storage, then packing and unpacking, groceries, cleaning, laundry. Haven't had a trailer in three years and we have travelled more and spent more time outdoors in different locations then when we camped.

The amount people invest in camping to get out of town for 6-8 weekends (if you are committed) in year is insane.

The only chance of buying another would be if it was parked and we could come and go as we please.

Its not for everybody, but if that's what you enjoy then why not.

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

Yeah I was having a bad night. Went way over the top on that one. 100% shitty post.
    Travel

My Ride
    changes every year

After getting a ton of shit poured all over me from a faulty sewer hose, I sold my trailer last year. Camping isn't for me anymore after my last shitty( no pun intended) camping experience last summer.

I would much rather spend the time in a nice hotel in a nice place by a lake or ocean than cut firewood, make my own food and all around live like a hobo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3