Quantcast
Hipsters go glamping - RV sales continue to grow - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipsters go glamping - RV sales continue to grow

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Default Hipsters go glamping - RV sales continue to grow

WSJ article https://www.wsj.com/articles/hipster...oar-1512226801

Any surprises here? Cheap fuel and a new generation of families wanting to connect with nature and explore thier country.

Comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:08 AM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Also add the $50+/month to park it after being used once or twice a year. Storage lots are flourishing.

I'll never understand it. You buy one of these things because you dont like camping in a tent, so you really want to stay in a hotel, but want to say you're staying in nature... but in reality you are 'camping' 10 feet away from the next guy's giant RV, in an unpaved parking lot where the only nature you're actually near is some trees and a random bear that feeds off garbage.

You can stay at a fairmont or the best hotel near wherever you want to go for every vacation you'll ever take in the next 20 years for cheaper than it is to buy some big camper vehicle. During the day you can walk in to actual nature just as easily; actually easier because you have a car to go places...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

We looked into this but between parking and fees - unless you use it every weekend in the summer (and colder) months, it make more sense to rent (eg. if you're doing 1-2 big trips a year).

I guess a lot of people dont do the math because I see an awful lot of newer parked RVs around our area that never move.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

For sure oning an RV isn't a money saving venture. Not as bad as a boat, but same idea.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    I'll never understand it. You buy one of these things because you dont like camping in a tent, so you really want to stay in a hotel, but want to say you're staying in nature... but in reality you are 'camping' 10 feet away from the next guy's giant RV, in an unpaved parking lot where the only nature you're actually near is some trees and a random bear that feeds off garbage.
    Sounds like you've never actually gone camping anywhere good. Sure those RV resorts are like that, and I agree they're pretty lame. However there's so many beautiful camp grounds around that are nothing like what you describe.

My Ride
    NC1

No thanks to camping just like no thanks to hiking but all the power to those who want to connect with nature lol

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This isn't surprising in the least. But they'll take a picture just off the parking lot and call themselves an adventurer while in skin tight jeans and a flannel shirt staring blankly out at a mountain.

#sofreeandwild
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    For sure oning an RV isn't a money saving venture. Not as bad as a boat, but same idea.
    I think the modern camping with >32 foot +3 slide bumper or 5th wheeler is where its getting excessive.

Depreciates like a bitch after year 5, but also stabilizes there too

Its Alberta so a tent trailer just won't do!!

Why do you need leather, granite, big screen TV w/ satellite, built in electric fireplace etc... when the point is to camp.

I get in Alberta or BC, its not quite Ontario's cottage country... but I learnt fast that I didn't like getting ready on a Thursday night, towing it, parking it, leveling it, emptying it and doing the reverse process on Sunday night.

So I parked it on a lot I purchased, built a big ole deck around it and use it like a cabin.

I haven't towed in a while, and I recently towed a friend's trailer (2 weeks ago) from Radium for him, and it was a 6000lb 28 footer... just so happened to have been through a snowstorm with wind gust warnings of 100k kms...
    Even in my F150 with winter tires and 4x4... it was not a good time

I don't know why so many people write off tent trailers. Even "if" they aren't much lighter, they aren't pulling a kite that wants to pull you into the lake by Exshaw. PLUS they are quite light, have good heating systems and amenities these days.

Even if you have to have a hardshell trailer, why buy something huge. It makes towing, parking and setting up such a bitch. My Granola friend rebuilt a boler with nice memory/gel foam mattresses and a rather large awning w/ mosquito netting. I have to give it to him, its got the bare necessities and keep camping, well, camping.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 12-04-2017 at 12:23 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    This isn't surprising in the least. But they'll take a picture just off the parking lot and call themselves an adventurer while in skin tight jeans and a flannel shirt staring blankly out at a mountain.

#sofreeandwild
    Wasn't there a Subaru commercial just like that?

Edit: Yup, lol. https://youtu.be/k2ENLLpLeNQ

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Sounds like you've never actually gone camping anywhere good. Sure those RV resorts are like that, and I agree they're pretty lame. However there's so many beautiful camp grounds around that are nothing like what you describe.
    I dunno, I grew up in the interior of BC. I could literally walk out of my backyard and in to deep forest. I've camped around bc as well, some interesting places like in the shuswap where you could only access the campground from a boat or the kootenays on a lake shore or near a hot spring (in tents). We even did camping trips in my high school as part of school events. I can't think of one person I knew that RV camped that lived in the okanagan my whole time growing up there. I would say I dont get it probably because of where I grew up, just like I never understood why people thought kelowna was a great vacation place until i moved back to edmonton and after 15 years i kinda understand it now.

So I understand walking off in to the wilderness with a pack on your back and coming back a week later. I understand tent camping (i'm not a huge fan of it unless its near a lake/natural hotspring cuz i like daily showers, but other then that it makes sense to me). I just dont understand RV camping lol. Its like a half-measure that's neither here nor there for being one with nature or having all the amenities of civilization, and costs a bloody fortune, and is a hell of a lot effort to do.
    Last edited by zhao; 12-04-2017 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zhao View Post
    I dunno, I grew up in the interior of BC. I could literally walk out of my backyard and in to deep forest. I've camped around bc as well, some interesting places like in the shuswap where you could only access the campground from a boat or the kootenays on a lake shore or near a hot spring (in tents). We even did camping trips in my high school as part of school events. I can't think of one person I knew that RV camped that lived in the okanagan my whole time growing up there. I would say I dont get it probably because of where I grew up, just like I never understood why people thought kelowna was a great vacation place until i moved back to edmonton and after 15 years i kinda understand it now.

So I understand walking off in to the wilderness with a pack on your back and coming back a week later. I understand tent camping (i'm not a huge fan of it unless its near a lake/natural hotspring cuz i like daily showers, but other then that it makes sense to me). I just dont understand RV camping lol. Its like a half-measure that's neither here nor there for being one with nature or having all the amenities of civilization, and costs a bloody fortune, and is a hell of a lot effort to do.
    I love "camping" but I hated Car camping... and would admit I'd rather be in an RV so there is some privacy at those family friendly places.

Backpacking in Bugaboos, White Swan, K country, etc... is just spectacular for both the view, the challenge (if a bit of a scramble) and to clear the mind

Now that I have a family, I understand the appeal of an RV but I still don't like the process of moving them around, especially huge ones.

What I don't understand is why people would car camp or RV in shit locations like Brooks, Strathmore, Cremona... other than just to have the "excuse" to crack a beer open at 10 AM just cause you're camping

My Ride
    G37X

Hipsters ruin everything. Anything for status points on the gram

My Ride
    '14 Taco

We have a 8 foot tent trailer that is essentially a tent on wheels to spend the night in, weighs nothing and let’s us take it pretty well anywhere. It’s not glorious, but it definitely makes camping a better experience then tent camping. We still have a tent to hike into places but having a basecamp is pretty slick..

edit: i also have a pad in my backyard that allows me to park it there..dont think i'd have one if i had to pay for parking fees or the hassle of getting it from storage for a weekend
    Last edited by Brent.ff; 12-04-2017 at 10:29 AM.

My Ride
    LNF

I grew up camping in tents and it was never an issue but I can see the appeal of a camper that is fully stocked with a fridge, shower and a comfy bed. But man do they get pricey and big.

If I was to buy anything, I think I would stick with a hardshell a frame trailer. They fold down like a tent trailer but are less prone to leaking (I think). And lightweight enough to be towed by a suv (usually 2k lbs).

But even with that, by the time you factor in on costs to store and costs of ownership, probably better off just renting one..

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Backpacking is amazing and nothing compares, but it's not accessible to all people especially those with young kids. A small-ish trailer can make life so much more comfortable.

Agree the quality of the camp sites varies a lot and some are little better than parking lots. Still within three hours of Calgary there's some amazing sites with great creeks and lakes and forests for the kids to explore.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Backpacking is amazing and nothing compares, but it's not accessible to all people especially those with young kids. A small-ish trailer can make life so much more comfortable.
    Exactly this. We used to go backpack camping a lot, but I'm sure as hell not even going to attempt at bringing my 2 year old into that. So we got our trailer, and she's already enjoying the shit out of it. When she's a bit older we can all go on day hikes, and back to the trailer for the night, just using it as a base of operations kind of thing.

I love that hipsters are glamping. It means our Airstream is only going up in value
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 12-04-2017 at 10:59 AM.

I've got a 30 Foot 5er and when you spend 35-40 nights in it a year over 10,000km towed KM having a bigger unit pays dividends. Yes, some nights are in a RV park thats fully serviced and paved, but most nights are in back country crown land areas where we boondock.

To speak to the OP's article...its VERY competitive to book sites now and its hard find the good spots. The sites are MUCH MUCH busier now than they were 10 years ago.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post

#sofreeandwild
    lol 100 right here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast