Quantcast
Oil changes (bring my own oil) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Oil changes (bring my own oil)

Default Oil changes (bring my own oil)

Can anyone recommend a place preferably in the north /northwest that does oil changes and allows me to bring my own oil and filter?

That's like asking for a resturant that you can bring your own food and cutlery.
    Unless it's someone's backyard, I can't see it happening.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's like asking for a resturant that you can bring your own food and cutlery.
    Unless it's someone's backyard, I can't see it happening.
    Happens all the time. However, the discounts you would get for it, in no way make up for it.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you don't mind the hassle of bringing your own oil, why not just do the whole change yourself? Or pay me to do it. I charge $68.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Mazda 3

When I had a Mazda I would get an oil change card from them ($120 for 5 changes including oil and filter) but I would just bring my oil and they would change the filter as well as have records for warranty.
    It was cheap, in/out in 30mins.
    At the time anyone with any brand car could get it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    '16 GMC HD '94 MKIV SUPRA

Either one of my Jiffy Lube locations will do it, $46.98 plus tax.

12600 Symons Valley Rd NW
    OR
    150 11135 14 ST NE

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you don't mind the hassle of bringing your own oil, why not just do the whole change yourself? Or pay me to do it. I charge $68.
    I don't have the space or access to do them myself at the moment

My Ride
    08 GSR

I take my car to the dealership (Platinum Mitsubishi) to change my oil, and they allow me to bring my own oil in.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I don't have the space or access to do them myself at the moment
    Well so far you have offers of $68 and $47 for someone to do it for you. I can confirm Jiffy Lube has better hours and nicer staff.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well so far you have offers of $68 and $47 for someone to do it for you. I can confirm Jiffy Lube has better hours and nicer staff.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by V6-BoI View Post
    I take my car to the dealership (Platinum Mitsubishi) to change my oil, and they allow me to bring my own oil in.
    Werd. Dealerships will let you bring your own stuff, they just charge you the labour for doing it and the Parts Dept gets no profit since no Parts sold
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Werd. Dealerships will let you bring your own stuff, they just charge you the labour for doing it and the Parts Dept gets no profit since no Parts sold
    I think oil changes are definitely a commodity service that should be a flat $25 for labor so if you bring your own parts, that's all that should be charged. If you are getting charged more than this then you should be getting additional services i.e. fluid top up, car wash/detailing, checks & inspections, etc.

I find that when I did bring parts to the dealership for them to change the oil, the discount they gave was no where near this so I stopped doing it and concluded that you either do it 100% yourself or have someone else do it for you and have them provide all materials.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Someone can make good money charging $25 for an oil change (BYOO) How long does an oil change take? 30 mins? You do 8 oil changes a day and get $200 cash for couple hours of work.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Would you do it for $25?

My Ride
    2011 Chrarger, 2018 F150

Quote Originally Posted by R!zz0 View Post
    Someone can make good money charging $25 for an oil change (BYOO) How long does an oil change take? 30 mins? You do 8 oil changes a day and get $200 cash for couple hours of work.
    I don't think it would be a good business model. Each person would have to sign a waver saying they are responsible to ensure they purchased the proper parts for their vehicle (oil, filter, etc) and any damages due to improper parts is on them.

Also I don't see a lot of folks wanting to go out and buy parts and then drive to a location to have the work done.

To the OP:

There are a few garages (at least there used to be) where you could rent out the space to work on your vehicle. If you could get a decent price for shop time and you know what you are doing, you could rent one to get your oil change done.. heck if you had a couple of folks who needed it done, everyone could pitch in and that could reduce the cost.

My Ride
    G37X

This seems like a good reason to go to U Wrench

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Homerrca View Post
    I don't think it would be a good business model. Each person would have to sign a waver saying they are responsible to ensure they purchased the proper parts for their vehicle (oil, filter, etc) and any damages due to improper parts is on them.
    You essentially already do this with a lube place anyways. You can read up on a ton of stories. End of the day, they accept little to no liability on their part, and you sign off on that as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Euro838 View Post
    I think oil changes are definitely a commodity service that should be a flat $25 for labor so if you bring your own parts, that's all that should be charged. If you are getting charged more than this then you should be getting additional services i.e. fluid top up, car wash/detailing, checks & inspections, etc.

I find that when I did bring parts to the dealership for them to change the oil, the discount they gave was no where near this so I stopped doing it and concluded that you either do it 100% yourself or have someone else do it for you and have them provide all materials.
    Not fair to the tech. By the time the tech starts the car, brings it into the shop, gets the lift set up, gets it up on the lift, gets the drain pan setup, pulls the plug and starts the drain, pulls the filter, finishes waiting for it to drain, puts the plug and filter back, drops it, fills up the car. Starts it and checks for leaks, rechecks oil level, drives the car back on to the lot it’s at least been a half hour. Shops charge 100-150/hr so you’re looking at 50-75 minimum.

If you only charge $25 labor the tech’s $/oil change is most definitely going to take a hit and they might be given only 15 minutes to get it done now.

Question is why would you want to bring your own oil and filter?