Quantcast
Oil changes (bring my own oil) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Oil changes (bring my own oil)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TT
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Oil changes (bring my own oil)

    Can anyone recommend a place preferably in the north /northwest that does oil changes and allows me to bring my own oil and filter?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    2,765
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    That's like asking for a resturant that you can bring your own food and cutlery.
    Unless it's someone's backyard, I can't see it happening.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Parked in Baygirl's garage.
    My Ride
    2016 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost SCrew FX4
    Posts
    3,826
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    That's like asking for a resturant that you can bring your own food and cutlery.
    Unless it's someone's backyard, I can't see it happening.
    Happens all the time. However, the discounts you would get for it, in no way make up for it.
    Spikers RC on YOUTUBE!

    Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    If you don't mind the hassle of bringing your own oil, why not just do the whole change yourself? Or pay me to do it. I charge $68.
    Middle-aged hipster millennial snowflake

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Mazda 3
    Posts
    745
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    When I had a Mazda I would get an oil change card from them ($120 for 5 changes including oil and filter) but I would just bring my oil and they would change the filter as well as have records for warranty.
    It was cheap, in/out in 30mins.
    At the time anyone with any brand car could get it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    '16 GMC HD '94 MKIV SUPRA
    Posts
    199
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Either one of my Jiffy Lube locations will do it, $46.98 plus tax.

    12600 Symons Valley Rd NW
    OR
    150 11135 14 ST NE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TT
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    If you don't mind the hassle of bringing your own oil, why not just do the whole change yourself? Or pay me to do it. I charge $68.
    I don't have the space or access to do them myself at the moment

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    08 GSR
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I take my car to the dealership (Platinum Mitsubishi) to change my oil, and they allow me to bring my own oil in.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jabjab View Post
    I don't have the space or access to do them myself at the moment
    Well so far you have offers of $68 and $47 for someone to do it for you. I can confirm Jiffy Lube has better hours and nicer staff.
    Middle-aged hipster millennial snowflake

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    TT
    Posts
    244
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Well so far you have offers of $68 and $47 for someone to do it for you. I can confirm Jiffy Lube has better hours and nicer staff.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgarian Living in Edmonton
    My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Q50S
    Posts
    5,934
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by V6-BoI View Post
    I take my car to the dealership (Platinum Mitsubishi) to change my oil, and they allow me to bring my own oil in.
    Werd. Dealerships will let you bring your own stuff, they just charge you the labour for doing it and the Parts Dept gets no profit since no Parts sold
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

    Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dj_rice View Post
    Werd. Dealerships will let you bring your own stuff, they just charge you the labour for doing it and the Parts Dept gets no profit since no Parts sold
    I think oil changes are definitely a commodity service that should be a flat $25 for labor so if you bring your own parts, that's all that should be charged. If you are getting charged more than this then you should be getting additional services i.e. fluid top up, car wash/detailing, checks & inspections, etc.

    I find that when I did bring parts to the dealership for them to change the oil, the discount they gave was no where near this so I stopped doing it and concluded that you either do it 100% yourself or have someone else do it for you and have them provide all materials.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    A Slow Car
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Someone can make good money charging $25 for an oil change (BYOO) How long does an oil change take? 30 mins? You do 8 oil changes a day and get $200 cash for couple hours of work.
    2007 Lexus RX 350
    2004 BMW X5 SOLD
    2003 G35 Coupe For Sale
    1998 Camry CE V6 SOLD
    1995 Z28 LT1 M6 Modded (Torque Monster) SOLD
    1994 Camry LE 2.2L (Written Off)
    1991 Nissan Maxima SOLD
    1990 Honda Civic DX HB SOLD
    1982 Datsun 280ZX SOLD

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Food Court Wifi
    My Ride
    2010 Recession Fighter LX
    Posts
    4,207
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Would you do it for $25?
    Middle-aged hipster millennial snowflake

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary/Alberta
    My Ride
    2011 Dodge Chrarger
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R!zz0 View Post
    Someone can make good money charging $25 for an oil change (BYOO) How long does an oil change take? 30 mins? You do 8 oil changes a day and get $200 cash for couple hours of work.
    I don't think it would be a good business model. Each person would have to sign a waver saying they are responsible to ensure they purchased the proper parts for their vehicle (oil, filter, etc) and any damages due to improper parts is on them.

    Also I don't see a lot of folks wanting to go out and buy parts and then drive to a location to have the work done.

    To the OP:

    There are a few garages (at least there used to be) where you could rent out the space to work on your vehicle. If you could get a decent price for shop time and you know what you are doing, you could rent one to get your oil change done.. heck if you had a couple of folks who needed it done, everyone could pitch in and that could reduce the cost.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Filipino Central
    My Ride
    Beast Accord 6-6
    Posts
    2,657
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    This seems like a good reason to go to U Wrench

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,284
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Homerrca View Post
    I don't think it would be a good business model. Each person would have to sign a waver saying they are responsible to ensure they purchased the proper parts for their vehicle (oil, filter, etc) and any damages due to improper parts is on them.
    You essentially already do this with a lube place anyways. You can read up on a ton of stories. End of the day, they accept little to no liability on their part, and you sign off on that as such.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,380
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euro838 View Post
    I think oil changes are definitely a commodity service that should be a flat $25 for labor so if you bring your own parts, that's all that should be charged. If you are getting charged more than this then you should be getting additional services i.e. fluid top up, car wash/detailing, checks & inspections, etc.

    I find that when I did bring parts to the dealership for them to change the oil, the discount they gave was no where near this so I stopped doing it and concluded that you either do it 100% yourself or have someone else do it for you and have them provide all materials.
    Not fair to the tech. By the time the tech starts the car, brings it into the shop, gets the lift set up, gets it up on the lift, gets the drain pan setup, pulls the plug and starts the drain, pulls the filter, finishes waiting for it to drain, puts the plug and filter back, drops it, fills up the car. Starts it and checks for leaks, rechecks oil level, drives the car back on to the lot itís at least been a half hour. Shops charge 100-150/hr so youíre looking at 50-75 minimum.

    If you only charge $25 labor the techís $/oil change is most definitely going to take a hit and they might be given only 15 minutes to get it done now.


    Question is why would you want to bring your own oil and filter?

Similar Threads

  1. Bring your own wine to the restaurant?

    By woodywoodford in forum Food and Dining
    Replies: 15
    Latest Threads: 01-12-2015, 04:24 PM
  2. Bring own Engine oil and oil filter to change

    By automachine in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 24
    Latest Threads: 07-19-2013, 10:07 AM
  3. Replies: 55
    Latest Threads: 02-24-2013, 01:56 PM
  4. synthetic motor oil. how long between changes?

    By 2000impreza in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 4
    Latest Threads: 07-18-2002, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •