Quantcast
Need to tweak workout - looking for suggestions. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Need to tweak workout - looking for suggestions.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by cycosis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Im assuming this is blended yes? Are the oats cooked? Curious to try it as Im only having a protein shake at breakfast, not enough actual food
    Blended yeah. Can add some more liquid for consistency.

Or ice and eat it with a spoon.

Don’t need to cook the oats.

Can replace maple syrup with honey. Or no syrupy liquid at all. Easily able to play around with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    2500 actually seems pretty decent for someone in the 150s looking to get to 165. 2500 is about maintenance for someone working a desk job in the 195-200 lb range. 4000 calories is going to be over doing it for him IMO if he’s not active 8 hours a day and seems to react poorly to massive overeating as he mentioned.

Over 40 grams of sugar for breakfast sounds like a bad idea that’s like eating a full size oh Henry bar for breakfast (in terms of sugar). I know I’d be crash city by the time I got to work
    He says he needs to add weight. It’s not black and white, I’m willing to bet he’s either Asian or EI with incredible insulin sensitivity. He NEEDS glycogen bombs like that.

Besides it’s not even that many carbs. Look up a regular bagel haha.

Glycogen = sugar = starch.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    Backstory: I started working out again for the first time in a few years back in August. I started by doing the same work out I had seen some success with back when I used to work out a lot in my early 20's. The workout was a 5 x 5 focused on full body work outs and I saw good strength gains then and I saw good strength gains this time but I'm finally starting to plateau a bit and I think it's time to change it up.

I really do like doing Squats and Bench Press as a 5x5 so I think I'm going to keep that the same. I'm looking mainly to change up the isolation work outs and add some shoulder and back work outs, although it's my biceps that have really stalled out. Haven't been able to go up in weight since basically August.

My work gym is pretty good but does have limited machines so I basically do everything with the squat rack, bench, barbells and dumbbells.

Here was my workout before:

Monday:
    Squat 5 x 5
    Bench 5 x 5
    Bent Over Row 3 x 8
    Skull Crushers 3 x 8
    Fly (on bench) 3 x 8
    Sit ups till fail

Wednesday:
    Squat 5 x 5
    Military Press 5 x 5
    Deadlift 3 x 5
    Pull ups 3 x failure
    Biceps curl: 3 x 8
    Sit ups till fail

Friday:
    Squat 5 x 5
    Bench 5 x 5
    Bent Over Row 3 x 8
    Dips 3 x Fail (need to replace, doing 3 x 10 with ease. don't have a belt to do weighted dips)
    Fly (on bench) 3 x 8
    Sit ups till fail

My goals are to gain mass more so than anything. I've got like zero percent body fat so it's all about weight gain at this point. Problem is I can't take mass building protein shakes as they make me violently ill and so does over eating (+3000 calories) so I've kinda given up on gaining significant mass, just hoping to gain enough to look good (Read: normal)

Started in August and my weight bounced around 145 - 150 lbs (I know )
    Currently weigh 155 lbs (I know )
    Goal 165 lbs

So thoughts on what I should change? Obviously my work out is light on shoulders and back. Biceps too.

All help appreciated as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by suntan View Post
    Try this one out. I got gains really, really quickly.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=149807833
    As usual, you talk in some sort of bizarre, sarcasm, then run away.

Are you being serious or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Blended yeah. Can add some more liquid for consistency.

Or ice and eat it with a spoon.

Don’t need to cook the oats.

Can replace maple syrup with honey. Or no syrupy liquid at all. Easily able to play around with it.

- - - Updated - - -

He says he needs to add weight. It’s not black and white, I’m willing to bet he’s either Asian or EI with incredible insulin sensitivity. He NEEDS glycogen bombs like that.

Besides it’s not even that many carbs. Look up a regular bagel haha.

Glycogen = sugar = starch.
    Just be careful when you suggest stuff like this. This is almost half the guys current intake in one meal and that’s an insane amount of pure sugars in one go.

When I was 200 lbs, powerlifting with a coach and nutritionist I didn’t eat like that.

The guy is already having issues eating high calorie diets, this just doesn’t seem like it will sit well with him IMO

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Just be careful when you suggest stuff like this. This is almost half the guys current intake in one meal and that’s an insane amount of pure sugars in one go.

When I was 200 lbs, powerlifting with a coach and nutritionist I didn’t eat like that.

The guy is already having issues eating high calorie diets, this just doesn’t seem like it will sit well with him IMO

Who was your coach?

He said he had issues eating a high calorie diet. 9/10 times situations like this arise from the volume of food, not the food itself.

The shake is not much more than 500ml, if at all, and has roughly the same carbs as a small
    Oreo blizzard from DQ.

I suggested a way for him to get his weight up. He can’t do weight gainer shakes, so let’s do whole food shakes.

Im curious what your nutritionist had you eating. I’m also going to assume you were competing in the 205 class, or maybe cut lots of water and qualified for the 183 class in lifting. In both cases your calories would be maintenance, basically.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Does glycemic index matter for this type of nutrition program?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    Who was your coach?

He said he had issues eating a high calorie diet. 9/10 times situations like this arise from the volume of food, not the food itself.

The shake is not much more than 500ml, if at all, and has roughly the same carbs as a small
    Oreo blizzard from DQ.

I suggested a way for him to get his weight up. He can’t do weight gainer shakes, so let’s do whole food shakes.

Im curious what your nutritionist had you eating. I’m also going to assume you were competing in the 205 class, or maybe cut lots of water and qualified for the 183 class in lifting. In both cases your calories would be maintenance, basically.
    I was never good enough to compete. No one likes to watch someone lift sissy weights.

Was mostly a bro diet just higher calorie as it was easiest to set and change macro/calorie goals for different training periods. Was eating 3500-4000 calories a day and that was plenty for someone that was only training 7-8 hours a week. That was over1.5x my maintenance.

This guys maintenance is probably 16-1800. Don’t think he should be downing well over half that for a morning shake. Not going to see lean gains from that. I don’t think his goal is to put on a lot of fat?

Based on your get ripped thread (which is pretty impressive), you are huge compared to DJ so I think you’re kinda losing sight of how small 155 actually is (no offense dj).

Keep in mind this is only month 4 of him starting from nothing. 5-10lbs lean gains is huge in 4 months. Reading through his comments I think he’s doing pretty damn good and doesn’t need a drastic change

I’m actually jealous of you DJ, after getting back into snowboarding last year I would love to be down in the 160s. Can’t be nimble weighing 190 at 5’8”
    Last edited by J-hop; 12-09-2017 at 11:20 PM.

My Ride

Nah, truth is I’m pretty soft lately. /sad face

I’ve had some injuries this year that really put me back, however excuses aren’t for me. I’ll be back at it better than ever soon enough.

If his maintenance is that low I’d be shocked. I bet he could eat more and gain. Thing is the body will adapt so with training his basal metabolic needs might be greater than we think after new muscle is being created.

Spit balling

-H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Seth1968 View Post
    As usual, you talk in some sort of bizarre, sarcasm, then run away.

Are you being serious or what?
    ROFL, I have other responses in here dipshit.

He wants bigger muscles but he's doing a power routine with too many compound movements. He wants to do something different, and PPL routine is certainly different from what he's doing now.

Bro do you even lift? I can feel your spongy neck from here.

My Ride
    NC1

40 day workout by Dan John.

Simple and easy to follow. https://www.t-nation.com/training/40-day-program

Height: 5'10 - 5'11

I've actually been debating going 3 x 5 and upping the weight on everything. Although it is a bit scary at my age haha. My bones and joints seem to make a lot of weird sounds and pops these days!

Thoughts?
    Palm, I just wanted to point out that you're just NOW reaching your prime years for building/power lifting. It's actually your early 30s to late 30s where your body, for most people, can really perform, and put on a lot of muscle mass, not your 20s. I've been told this by many, many lifters/builders, as I only started power lifting when I hit my early 30s myself, and had similar fears. I've been doing it 11 years now, and will lift until I die if I have anything to say about it, even with health concerns now, I'll still never give it up.

Fear not your age, you're only hitting your stride and potential now.

My Ride
    TypeR

I follow 2 split for most of my clients unless they are training sport specific or have limited time in the gym

1. Strength
    Upper Push
    Legs / Upper Pull
    Upper Push
    Legs / Upper Pull

I like this split because your lower back only get hit hard 2x a week vs most powerlifting programs where its taxed everyday. I currently train 2 national record holders for powerlifting following this exact split minus 1 month out where we swtich to 3x a week full body program to peak. Also dont be afraid to get in the 12 rep range even if its a 2x12, your joints and stabilizers will thank you later. For strength movement quality and longevity are the main things you should focus on.

2. Size
    This is debatable but from what i have found for natural people (im assuming your natural) you need to train everything 2x a week. So depending on your schedule you can follow same split above or if you have 5-6 days you can go
    Upper
    Lower
    Upper Push
    Upper Pull
    Legs

or run
    Upper Push
    Upper Pull
    Legs
    2x in one week

But in the end you will plateau for 2 reasons
    1. Nutrition
    2. You think 1 program at a time vs how you will train for the next 6 months (this is the biggest mistake you will see in almost every gym) This leads to injury(been there), hitting PRs with shit technique, burning out and turning into the guy that workouts for fun not results.

Best advice i ever got is TRACK EVERYTHING. Measurements, Lifts, How you feel, Nutrition, Pictures etc. Run your core movements for 3 months then adjust. Never go into the gym without a plan and check your ego at the door.
    IG:scboss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3