Quantcast
Retirement Stragies: 2018 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Stragies: 2018

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it's unrealistic to think you won't have to access the equity in your home in some fashion. Either downsizing or selling outright and renting or a reverse mortgage. That's for sure part of my plan.
    If your primary residence is part of retirement strategy, paid if off ASAP and get ready to leave town when thing doesn't look right.

Last you need is to hold on to property in Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    So here is a question... what is the best way to make yourself poor on paper?
    Read Marneau or Trudeau's "How-To" book?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Mincome and make money under the table.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Currently save into RRSP, Group RRSP, TFSA and TFSA Direct Investing.. plus me and my friend are looking at a second home and going to start earning income from rental properties here soon.

But when it comes close to retirement, i plan to move to Mexico when I cash out on my RRSPs... Live like a rockstar down there is my plan. (better-halfs dad does it right now, life looks pretty pimp!)... hire someone to look after my places and get a modest income off that... And if I get sick of it in Mexico I have a place to come back to.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I started saving for retirement when I was 23 but I feel way behind still. My hope was to have at least $500k RRSP plus two homes and hopefully have my own business when I’m 65 which might be a long shot but I will sure try.
    Smart man. I started around that age too when I started getting my shit together. Now what would it be like if I never liked buying women things or nice cars lol hoe much further ahead I would be in terms of numbers but I still get called boring haha damn

My Ride
    4Runner

Plan to save as much as I can +1 mil then move to the Philippines when im 55 and live a simple to above average life. . From my calculations pretty easy to live there comfortably for 35-50k a year LOL

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    hoe much further ahead
    Accurate

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

I can run a basic financial/retirement plan for anyone interested. It will show what you will have at retirement and how long it will last among other things

If interested PM me your email address and I will send you an email from work asking for:
    Current Household Income
    Current expenses
    Current assets (fixed and liquid) and liabilities - including any term or whole life insurance and time frame of when mortgage will be paid off
    Current Age
    Expected retirement age
    Life expectancy (if unsure I can make an assumption)

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo View Post
    I started saving for retirement when I was 23 but I feel way behind still. My hope was to have at least $500k RRSP plus two homes and hopefully have my own business when I’m 65 which might be a long shot but I will sure try.
    I'm pretty similiar boat. Have the condo which I am renting out and the new commercial property which I think will have some serious value 20 years from now.

Next step once the business is up and fully running is to buy another condo. Then rinse and repeat. The hope being that by the time I retire, I have 5-10 condos/properties all paid off and basically taking the rental income as pure profit when I am retired, while slowly selling a property off every one or two years.

And if I stick with my current full time job for who knows how long, a sizeable pension.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-18-2019 at 01:04 AM.

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Accurate
    HAHA funny typo lol

I guess they always come out ahead in the end lol

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak View Post
    I kind of get the feeling that in the future, people who save for retirement are going to be punished for it.
    This is personally my biggest fear. I have always used the assumption that CPP and OAS will be a bonus if it is there and that I need to take care of myself 100%. But even so, I have always been concerned about how the rate of inflation will affect my savings, plus my parents possibly having issues and needing financial help. And now to add to those concerns, our current provincial and federal governments seem hell bent on taking everything they can from the 'rich' and when it comes to retirement savings, it may not be the rich, but just the disciplined and planners that get hit. And I am most worried about that unknown.

It is honestly no wonder people that really make it end up moving assets out of the country. It is a lack of trust with the government.

My goal is to have enough money when I retire that if the government starts trying to tax assets or estates, that I can leave the country and never come back.

As for overall goal, I used to think (5-10 years ago) that if I had $2M at age 60 I would retire. I now think that I will need closer to $3M. But that is 19 years away, so I will probably still ratchet that up before then. This is why I save over 50% of my net pay.

Climate change will make Alberta home and land owners rich if we dont end up having to hive it back to the natives

Quote Originally Posted by blownz View Post
    when it comes to retirement savings, it may not be the rich, but just the disciplined and planners that get hit.
    Middle class are most at risk. That's upper middle class too.

At some point, spending money to find ways to pay less tax is actually the most effective way to retain your wealth. Not increasing salary, not saving more.
    North American policies are ratcheting this point, lower and lower for people. When half of society pays little to no taxes, it doesn't take grade 12 math to see what's up.

canadiancouchpotato.com in terms of investing strategy.

mrmoneymustache.com in terms of how to not be a fucking idiot with your money and save more than you are. (this guy is hardcore, you dont have to treat his words as gospel but it's a good mindset to get yourself in and can inspire you to be more frugal and more focused on saving)

also, diversify in terms of RRSP and TFSA and other types of savings. I have a rental property that I plan on having paid off when i'm retired, which will result in a mostly passive income. RRSPs are great but will be a major pain in your ass if all of your income if going to come from there. taxes are undoubtedly going to be higher compared to what they are today, and there are rules around how quickly you need to empty out your RRSPs too.

dont rely on CPP, dont rely on inheritance, dont rely on anything from the government ever. if you get it, it's gravy.

simple calculation - think about how much income you want when you retire. multiply that number by 25 and thats the amount you need to withdrawal the income you want every year in perpetuity, and compensating for inflation. the challenge there is taking into account taxed income, non taxed income, passive income. but it's not difficult math to figure out.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Financialpost.com has an article out this week titled "The retirement advice most people don't expect: Spend more money, have more fun, give more away"
    http://business.financialpost.com/pe...give-more-away

This article rings true for me because I have a relative who was recently given the same advice. A lifetime of saving, nearly zero expenses and a defined benefit pension meant she was actually accumulating wealth well into her seventies. Providing an inheritance wasn't a goal for her, so she's started giving more to charities and helping out family members.
    Last edited by ExtraSlow; 12-14-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Providing an inheritance wasn't a goal for her, so she's started giving more to charities and helping out family members.
    Because the inheritance has large tax implications. Helping family out now, doesn't. Just start slowly gifting it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is a good tip for all us middle aged ballers. Shit I'll start giving away my money today!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Quote Originally Posted by mr2mike View Post
    Because the inheritance has large tax implications. Helping family out now, doesn't. Just start slowly gifting it.
    I thought inheritance tax was a US thing and not applicable in Canada???
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle15439582/

Also the laws are changing. Trudeau and Morneau are working to make sure they get everything off the table and into their pockets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast