Quantcast
Watch Conondrum - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Watch Conondrum

Default Watch Conondrum

I was hoping to get your guys' opinion on something as you are all much more familiar with the watch game than I am.

My brother received a gift from work for a number of years service, a Tag Heuer Aquaracer QTZ 300m. He doesn't wear watches and isn't able to return it. Value is $1400+GST at J Vair Anderson where it was purchased, so his options are store credit (he doesn't need anything at a jewelry store, and $1400 at that store doesn't go very far haha) or try and sell the watch. Do you guys know what kind of market there might be for a discounted Tag Heuer Aquaracer? Exact model description is: WKB6163 AQUA QTZ WHT DI STEEL BEZ SS

Is that going to be really hard to sell without giving it a way, or do you think people would be interested at a reasonable discount?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Get store credit. Sell store credit at a discount. You’re never seeing $1400 on that watch in the used market.

Edit - I’m assuming that store credit is for amount paid. The model number you stated looks like a retail code. Get the tag Heuer model number on the case back as well as a picture of the watch and I’ll tell you what it’s worth New and used.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Get store credit. Sell store credit at a discount. You’re never seeing $1400 on that watch in the used market.

Edit - I’m assuming that store credit is for amount paid. The model number you stated looks like a retail code. Get the tag Heuer model number on the case back as well as a picture of the watch and I’ll tell you what it’s worth New and used.
    Thanks very much - I will try get the correct model number.

I believe the store credit would be for the $1400+ GST from what I understand. I'm sure he'd sell the watch at a several hundred dollar discount, maybe $1000-$1200 or something.

The thinking was that nothing in J Vair is cheap (lots of 5-figure prices) so we assumed it would be pretty narrow market trying to get rid of store credit there compared to just selling the watch for a good deal. I'm not sure how many J Vair shoppers would go through the hassle of buying credit to save a few hundred dollars but I also have no idea.

Anyways, I'll try get the correct model number and report back.

My Ride
    Chevy Colorado ZR2

Is it possible to return it?
    Being discontinued it may be tough to return the item.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylo View Post
    Is it possible to return it?
    Being discontinued it may be tough to return the item.
    Yes it's returnable, but just for store credit which given the nature of the store, might be a lot more difficult to get rid of than to sell a watch. I guess that's what we're trying to figure out at the end of the day.

I didn't know it was discontinued - I guess we can confirm when I get the model number, sounds like I had the wrong one before.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How did you find it discontinued? The description has it as Aquaracer 300m White Dial, Steel Bezel, Stainless Steel case. I'm going to assume Men's version. There's a handful of Aquaracers that fit that description.

The WKB6163 fits the Tag Heuer model number scheme, but it doesn't show up as a valid model at all. You also want the 2nd number behind it as well (ie AAA1111.BB2222) which denotes what strap it comes with.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

How did you find it discontinued? The description has it as Aquaracer 300m White Dial, Steel Bezel, Stainless Steel case. I'm going to assume Men's version. There's a handful of Aquaracers that fit that description.

The WKB6163 fits the Tag Heuer model number scheme, but it doesn't show up as a valid model at all. You also want the 2nd number behind it as well (ie AAA1111.BB2222) which denotes what strap it comes with.
    That description sounds exactly like the one.

So I talked to my brother and I did not know this but he already returned the watch for store credit, but he can swap it back for the same watch at any time if that ends up being easier. So unfortunately I can't get the number on the back of the case, he is telling me the numbers I posted earlier is all that was on it but it sounds like there should have been more. It was a classic ribbed stainless steel strap matching the color of the watch. Definitely Men's version.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yea, at this stage, just sell the store credit. That's probably going to get you the most value in this case anyways, so it worked out.

Sounds good, thanks for all your help.

I have now learned he has the watch back lol

Model number WAY1111

Strap FAA084

Does that make sense?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Yup. Returning it for credit is the best deal.

Using a car analogy, it’s like you won a car, and returned it for full purchase price as a credit without losing anything in depreciation.

Yup. Returning it for credit is the best deal.

Using a car analogy, it’s like you won a car, and returned it for full purchase price as a credit without losing anything in depreciation.
    Makes sense.

Is it a desirable watch? I think his concern is that it might be a lot harder to find someone who wants to buy credit at an expensive jewelry shop than someone who wants a good deal on a watch. I am guessing both would be significantly discounted to attract a buyer.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Makes sense.

Is it a desirable watch? I think his concern is that it might be a lot harder to find someone who wants to buy credit at an expensive jewelry shop than someone who wants a good deal on a watch. I am guessing both would be significantly discounted to attract a buyer.
    It’s like the Honda Fit of watches. Entry level, mass produced. Probably worth 50% of that on the used market.

Tons of people get married everyday and waste money on rings. Won’t take long to sell that at $200 off IMO.

Alrighty, I will let him know - thanks for all your help.

I’d be interested in the store credit depending on how much he wants for it. Pm me if you want
    Big pimpiiiinnnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by USHER View Post
    I’d be interested in the store credit depending on how much he wants for it. Pm me if you want
    Hey thanks for reaching out - unfortunately it is locked into the watch at this point, and can no longer be exchanged for store credit. My brother has simply listed the watch at a large discount instead. Thanks anyway!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Hey thanks for reaching out - unfortunately it is locked into the watch at this point, and can no longer be exchanged for store credit. My brother has simply listed the watch at a large discount instead. Thanks anyway!
    Oh, weird he switched to this route. What happened?

Oh, weird he switched to this route. What happened?
    We thought the watch would be easier to sell at a discount than store credit to a high-end jewelry shop. I think a lot of stuff in that store is 5+ figure priced, and those customers probably can't be bothered to pick up store credit to save a few hundred. Maybe it was the wrong decision, but I asked him and I don't think he can return it for credit anymore. He has it posted on a site called Chrono24 which I think is specifically for watches, so maybe that will be better.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Well given Rage's valuation I'm in at $550!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    Well given Rage's valuation I'm in at $550!
    Haha I think he would take $1000 or so, which would be about $500 off the price paid. Don't think he's that desperate yet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast