Quantcast
Are dealership shop supplies required by law? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are dealership shop supplies required by law?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 12:16 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For most shops (I say most... Not all) it isn't about squeezing more money from you as much as it is about trying to accurately track where expenses are going. I personally do not bill shop supplies out, but absolutely it is factored into what my true final profit margins are at the end of the year and how much I finally make determines what my sales costs will be on specific things the next season. Some companies prefer to mine that information down per invoice and make ajustments with a bit more fine tuned information.
    Edit

Read more comments, you guys already discussed my issues
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 12-09-2017 at 02:26 PM.

My Ride
    4x4

I used to use shop supplies

It sure beat
    38 5/16" x 2½" lags
    76 #8 white head self drilling screws
    1/12th of a can of lube
    2 shop rags
    1pr latex gloves
    3 grey wire nuts

I could do a whole page invoice on the misc little stuff that wasn't included on any job. Shop supplies used correctly - went into a separate account for the purchase of the consumable items that I didn't want to inventory.

My Ride
    jdm b18c

The only thing they should be charging for is brake clean which the already charge doube, a tube of brake lube, anti seize last around more then 20 cars and most of the time if you are replacing pads is come with the anti seize. Some shop don't even supply the tech with gloves and what is liquid wrench?
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Silverado

Just had an oil change at capital chev . Listed price was $105. I paid 105+gst. Sounds good to me.
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 12-09-2017 at 08:35 PM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I’d like to hear Gestalt’s viewpoint. He works in a shop that pays big bonuses.

+25% shop fees??
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    NC1

Welcome to Porsche service where they will nickel and dime you for everything! lol

]

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Let me ask you the real question though....

Are you legally allowed to be forced to take your car there or can you do the work yourself ?
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This is the least entertaining Mar thread ever.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    The real joke's in the maintenance schedule (Or add up his total bill $815.87)
    http://www.calgaryhyundai.com/servic...e-schedule.htm

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    My thoughts exactly - that is just nuts for a presumably scheduled econo-box service.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Guys, would you skip recommend maintenance on a Ferrari? Veloster = same deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not sure I'm allow to say it, I heard an outfit in Airdrie (I think they are in Calgary too but I have no word of mouth on that one) that do excellent work on typical scheduled maintenance work compared to dealers.

I believe they do all makes except Mercedes and BMW.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Welcome to Porsche service where they will nickel and dime you for everything! lol
    I definitely didn't have the same experience haha. My last service was nowhere NEAR as far as bad as I was expecting.

Also, Mar, you could've saved yourself some money by just replacing your own wiper blades... they can't be that hard to do on a Veloster, can they???

My Ride
    NC1

Quote Originally Posted by klumsy_tumbler View Post
    I definitely didn't have the same experience haha. My last service was nowhere NEAR as far as bad as I was expecting.

Also, Mar, you could've saved yourself some money by just replacing your own wiper blades... they can't be that hard to do on a Veloster, can they???
    Chandie Fox - I liked her at Porsche

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    Chandie Fox - I liked her at Porsche
    Yeah, Chandie is great.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I know, my bad. I have other more interesting things I could post about like when I drove over a hole in the earth so huge it destroyed my wheel, my tire exploded and the City Of Calgary told me to get fucked. Or a surgeon I went to see that kicked me out of his practice when I told him I would prefer not to provide my telephone number. Or when I was recently diagnosed with ASD (is anyone surprised?). I promise there will be more hilarity later.

If you expand the maintenance schedule at the bottom, you see the service I got. The pricing matches perfectly.

I spoke with the service manager last week and what a waste of my life that was. I'm impressed he called me at the next open of business but didn't really seem to understand the concept of highway robbery. Here is a breakdown of how the conversation went:

me - Why did your staff tell me this charge is required by law?
    him - She must have been mistaken, that's not true.
    me - How do you feel about your staff lying to customers?
    him - She didn't lie.
    me - She gave me information that wasn't true. That's the literal definition of lying.
    him - No, she just gave you some misinformation. She didn't lie.

me - Okay, when I asked the receptionist where she got her information that it's required by law I asked if she could look it up on her computer and she said no, she would feel more comfortable if you did it instead. Your staff is too lazy to even help out a customer.
    him - Yes, that's not her job.

me - Why is it listed on the invoice as an environmental fee instead of shop supplies?
    him - Look, I'm not going to argue over symantics, it's shop supplies.

me - I checked the AMVIC website and it appears as if I'm entitled to ask for an itemized list of the shop supplies used for my service. Can I please have that?
    him - No, I'm not going to do that.
    me - You're required to.
    him - Nope.

him - I took a look at your bill and agree that $50 is a little steep so I can give a 50% refund for you.
    me - So you're going to lower your future shop supply cost by 50% for everyone?
    him - No, it doesn't work like that.

me - I was told that if I had a problem with my bill I could leave my car there for Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and talk to you Monday morning about it. Why isn't there anyone there that can deal with this during business hours?
    him - I get off at 4, I can't work that much
    me - It's your department and your responsibility to make sure the customer is taken care of. Not to leave their car there for 3 days before they can talk to someone.

I forget some of the other things we discussed, it was a 45 minute call and I'm very impressed he hung on the whole time. Maybe I'm just old school and I treat my customers as priority one and I also take every piece of criticism to try and mould my business into everything it can be. Few things annoy me more than someone that just doesn't give enough of a shit about life to try as hard as they can to do the best job they can. I just couldn't get this guy to show me he cared about anything other than giving me $20 to go away.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Man, I get that it’s shitty and it’s about the principle. But this seems like a hell of a lot of stress over $50.

You’re blacklisted for sure at that dealer. Going to want to take your business elsewhere anyways

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    If you expand the maintenance schedule at the bottom, you see the service I got. The pricing matches perfectly.
    They show service 3 as $299 though, not the $377. Since service 3 includes the oil change you paid an extra $50 for synthetic and then they charged you for the engine air filter I think which would be included in service 3. Just checking the pricing from here: http://www.calgaryhyundai.com/servic...e-schedule.htm They also show a $700-1000 service "recommended" every ~24k which seems mighty pricey.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    Man, I get that it’s shitty and it’s about the principle. But this seems like a hell of a lot of stress over $50.

You’re blacklisted for sure at that dealer. Going to want to take your business elsewhere anyways
    I'm more concerned about what's best for us as a whole, not just myself. I want to change the system for the guy that comes along behind me, something that makes someone else's life better. I would fight the same for 10 cents because the reward isn't about me getting money, it's about helping an infinite number of people from going through the same process in the future and that is enough for me to continue.

Not once in our 45 minute conversation did this guy utter any sort of apology, not even an insincere one to make me go away. When I asked for an apology, he told me I didn't deserve one.

I once got a letter in the mail from TD bank thanking me for being a customer for 15 years but they no longer want me as a customer because I'm too difficult to deal with. They told me if I didn't empty out my accounts within a month, they would send me a cheque. I actually got fired as a customer, that's impressive. I think if I wrote a book of memoirs it would be a best seller. I'd call it Book Of MeMars.

- - - Updated - - -

They show service 3 as $299 though, not the $377. Since service 3 includes the oil change you paid an extra $50 for synthetic and then they charged you for the engine air filter I think which would be included in service 3. Just checking the pricing from here: http://www.calgaryhyundai.com/servic...e-schedule.htm They also show a $700-1000 service "recommended" every ~24k which seems mighty pricey.
    Plus the $250 spark plug swap that only applies to the turbo model. I have no freaking idea how to swap plugs.
    - service 3
    - spark plugs
    - wiper blades

Oh I forgot one more thing I have to mention when I was talking to the service manager. When I asked which kinds of things are included int he shop supplies he said soap for washing the car. SOAP, THEY CHARGE FOR SOAP! I literally laughed out loud on the phone, it took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting him to say soap.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast