Quantcast
SPOILERS - Star Wars Episode 8 SPOILER Discussion - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SPOILERS - Star Wars Episode 8 SPOILER Discussion

My Ride
    '21 Taco

I'm actually kind of disappointed on how they made Yoda kind of like a comedy. He's almost always like "formal" and well spoken. It's just different how he spoke to Luke. I do love the fact he appeared in this movie.

I always love how he spoke about the dark side:

Despite high ratings in RT, it doesn't even past 50% for me. I'm not a "die hard" fan but I always love the story and the idea behind Star Wars and this movie just ruined it. I just hope they rebound on Episode IX but since it's the same director/writer, I'm not sure. lol.

I agree with character development, it's very poor. Snoke dying quite immediately? We don't even know where he came from, what is his background? So Rey is nobody? And yes, why is Ren so mad? lol.

Even the predictions in YouTube about the future of the main story of Star Wars have better ideas on how the story should go than TLJ. Sorry, but it's just a mess right now lol.

EDIT: Actually, I guess it's JJ Abrams again for Episode 9?
    Last edited by jampack; 12-16-2017 at 02:33 PM.
    Watch the cat for different holiday hats!

My Ride
    Ford F150

Saw a blog that had a decent defense of the new story and style of TLJ. http://www.slashfilm.com/the-last-jedi-defense

I agree with it.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    the chase was essentially an elaborate mcguffin
    It really was.

I'm usually pretty tolerant to a lot of terrible plots but there were parts of this movie when even I gave the ol' "C'mon man!". Hell, even if they kept the film to ~2 hours (ie: cut out the whole expert code breaker side quest), the whole movie would have improved significantly. That said, it's still not prequel bad.

While the story was drawn out longer than it needed to be, there were a few things about this movie I appreciated:
    - they didn't kill off Princess Leia's character just so they could explain her absence in the next movie
    - Yoda was filmed using puppetry and not completely CGI
    - Rey's parents were nobodys, rather than her being the descendant of anyone of significance like everyone was expecting/hoping just for the sake of tying her to someone important (ie: Luke, Obi-wan, Han and Leia).

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Totally forgot about the milking, wtf was that? I didn’t even think it was funny with Ben Stiller. I’m moving on. This movie was shit.

My Ride
    NC1

movie wasn't that good - the special effects were cool

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Not great. The comedy insertions are out of character. Why is it so hard for them to just make a semi serious tone like the original trilogy? I agree with most comments. Not enough/any focus of developing the mysticism of the Jedi religion, no development of snoke (who is he, where did he come from, how is he in control), terrible acting. The bridge scene at the beginning was ridiculous.

I also found some of the editing annoying too. How many times were there cuts scenes of that fucking island?
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

I honestly didn't think the movie was that bad.
    I feel like you guys are trying to get Lord of the Rings Depth and Lore out of a Movie which Disney is trying to simplify for Commercialization towards kids

The milk scene was an homage to the blue milk scenes of the originals, I thought it was hilarious,
    They took you back to the Sacred Jedi Island, and showed you the original Jedi Texts, which then they also showed that the texts were safe on the Falcon.
    The SW universe has never really relied on our way of thinking, so the battle scenes make sense to the SW universe.
    Reys natural use of the Forces speaks for itself on the lack of training from Luke, Yoda even states that.
    Luke didn't die, he just become so in tune with the force, that he became the force, just like Yoda did.

I went and watched this movie with an open mind, and generally enjoyed it.
    but it was definitely was a bit drawn out
    Last edited by RickDaTuner; 12-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I really enjoyed the spectacle of the whole thing (the hyperspace kamikaze and the red-salt planet were just stunning), and even OK with most of the humour, but the more I think about the story the less I like it. Space-Leia was awkward as fuck and totally unnecessary. The entire codebreaker side-story was meaningless. Poe Dameron leads a literal failed mutiny and gets high-fives instead of a blaster to the head. Luke's character was wildly different from the previous films for no adequate reason - Hamill hated what they did with the character and I think I agree. Rey is still a boring Mary Sue. Snoke turns out to be... some guy, maybe?

The fact that Disney looked at that heap of a plot and thought "Yeah, that's so amazing we'll give that writer/director his own trilogy" is extremely worrying.

Upside is that Adam Driver has somehow managed to salvage the wreck of a character they gave him through sheer force of acting. Huge improvement over TFA. Yoda's return was great and it was nice to see cheeky Yoda instead of action-star Yoda again.

My Ride
    YH2/FK8

Quote Originally Posted by jampack View Post
    I'm actually kind of disappointed on how they made Yoda kind of like a comedy. He's almost always like "formal" and well spoken. It's just different how he spoke to Luke. I do love the fact he appeared in this movie.
    I get what you mean and I thought about this as well, but Episode 8 Yoda is more comparable to himself in Empire and Jedi. It was more comedy than that of the sequels.

SneakerFiles.com | Blog | Team AM Fam

1993 Honda Civic CX (B16A2) - 2002-2005
    1992 Honda Civic Si (K20A2) - 2006-2008
    2008 BMW 335i - 2008-2013
    2008 Honda Element EX AWD - 2013-Current
    2021 Honda Civic Type R LE - 2021-Current

My Ride
    Exploded.

Snoke is Mace Windu.

Coolest part was LIGHTSPEED BOOM!

My Ride
    M3P

I'm glad most of you share the same sentiment that the story was shit but it was visually appealing. Not sure why all the light hearted comedy and those little furrballs were thrown in for girlfriends and merchandising opportunities only.

This guy is going to turn the next trilogy into shit. Hopefully JJ can turn EP 9 back around.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    I'm glad most of you share the same sentiment that the story was shit but it was visually appealing. Not sure why all the light hearted comedy and those little furrballs were thrown in for girlfriends and merchandising opportunities only.

This guy is going to turn the next trilogy into shit. Hopefully JJ can turn EP 9 back around.
    I agree that the one upside is Rian not doing E9. I mean, i'd love to be able to see executives at Disney reading Rian's script for E8 and saying, "amazing! Great story, intelligent dialogue, witty comedy, zero plot holes, engaging side stories, compelling character development. This is just such inspired writing we're flat out giving you the next trilogy". There must have been a point where this happened.

My Ride
    NC1

love story was weird lol wtf man at least they got everything covered lol white/black/asian etc.

kylo ren not badass enough - i think back to that first scene from the force awakens where he stops that gun blaster and holds it in the air

rey owns him cuz of her V power that's gotta be it. she got minimal training and she can kick ass haha wtf

bring back a villain like darth maul plz!

My Ride
    Exploded.

That was campy Star Wars. Don't expect the same from the past. I didn't and I liked it.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by BigMass View Post
    I agree that the one upside is Rian not doing E9. I mean, i'd love to be able to see executives at Disney reading Rian's script for E8 and saying, "amazing! Great story, intelligent dialogue, witty comedy, zero plot holes, engaging side stories, compelling character development. This is just such inspired writing we're flat out giving you the next trilogy". There must have been a point where this happened.
    I think it was "Awesome, think of all the toys we can sell! Kids will love this movie!"

Honestly, when I read people explaining why they like the movie, I just shake my head. They pick specific things like "I liked Puppet Yoda" or "I liked when Luke threw the lightsabre away", while ignoring what makes a movie a movie, you know, the story.

It's like they're burying their head in the sand. I just don't see how someone can ignore all of the plot holes, ill timed comedy and completely disjointed or missing character development. Unless of course, you're a kid (either literally or nostalgically) and saw cool ships doing cool space ship things and thought it was awesome.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 12-18-2017 at 03:46 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by JordanEG6 View Post
    I get what you mean and I thought about this as well, but Episode 8 Yoda is more comparable to himself in Empire and Jedi. It was more comedy than that of the sequels.
    I have no problem with Yoda scene it is actually one of the high points. The problem I have is with Luke, they kinda want to make him like Yoda as well and become a bit eccentric like old Yoda. But he come off as not as wise.

I actually have less issue with movie on 2nd viewing. Still I think Rian basically wrote the whole thing to counter all the fan theories and what to be expected.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 12-18-2017 at 01:10 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Also @dj_patm , A+ on starting a spoilers-only thread. I know I'm in the minority here, but it pisses me off when people flagrantly throw around spoilers in show and movie threads and they justify it by saying you shouldn't be in the thread if you haven't watched it yet, which is bullshit.

Attachment 80808

- - - Updated - - -
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

One thing I really don't like that critics keep saying is "Get over the fact that this was an end to the Skywalker saga".

wtf. THAT was the end? And everyone is cool with it?

They've been building the Skywalker saga for 7 movies prior to this, and they end it with what? Not even a fight? Not even a reveal? Literally nothing?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by dj_patm View Post
    One thing I really don't like that critics keep saying is "Get over the fact that this was an end to the Skywalker saga".

wtf. THAT was the end? And everyone is cool with it?

They've been building the Skywalker saga for 7 movies prior to this, and they end it with what? Not even a fight? Not even a reveal? Literally nothing?
    I can sleep well at night now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast