Quantcast
Anyone list their house right after Christmas? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone list their house right after Christmas?

Default Anyone list their house right after Christmas?

We are planning on selling and buying in 2018, right now we are doing some prep work on our property and if we wanted to, we can be ready to list as early as next month, however we are in no rush. Just wanted to hear other member’s experiences or thoughts with selling/ listing their property in January.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Your realtor should have insight into seasonal sales volume around the holidays and the effects on your anticipated price. If they don't you should fire them.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

Springs usually when people look at moving. Dead of winter and right after the holidays, much less so.

No realtor yet, we’ll be meeting with some after Christmas. And I figured if anyone looking now is going to be a serious buyer. Also, at spring time there will be more listings, more options to choose from.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I have heard beyond.ca has several realtors with excellent reputations. You should check those review threads.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Hey

I usually start taking on new listings no earlier then mid January. ..Let me know if you need some help

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

When I sold a few years back I had zero bites when I listed in December, then plenty (and sold in a few days) when I relisted in March.

I listed my house in September and had tons of interest and viewings weekly and 2 conditional offers over the month that fell through due to financing both times. Two days after the final offer fell through it snowed like crazy and viewings dropped of to nothing overnight. Been like that for two months now. I lowered the price a couple weeks ago by 10K from 389k to 379K hoping to maybe instigate a sale rather than carry the house for another 4 months before spring and have had 3 viewing since but so far nothing has panned out.

If you are living there and can wait until spring that is going to be an easier sell IMHO but if you are like us and your house is empty but you are carrying mortgage and insurance costs, I would rather sell a bit cheaper and have it gone than carry 4 to 5 months of costs.

I appreciate the feedback Swank and Tirebob, and Jordan once we are ready, I’ll be in touch.

My Ride
    ute

ya, I dont like dealing with realtors as a rule, but Jordan is the exception.

We bought our current place in December and did well. But one of our friends bought a place in January, and didn't think about all the snow. When it melted the yard was trash underneath, grass was all dead and turned to dirt from years of neglect. Not sure if that turns people off this time of year, but being able to see everything you are getting is a plus. And the snow can hide things nicely.

My Ride
    is faster than yours

We listed our place after xmas 2008 at the realtor's recommendation. Their reasoning was inventory was low and some people would be shopping over the holidays. But it was slow until mid-Jan when it picked up and then sold early Feb 2009. So we definitely could have waited until mid-Jan and not worry about showings over the holidays.

I moved into a new house a few years back a few days before Christmas.

My Ride
    Bicycle

March is when interest starts and units start to move.

This year is special tho, due to new mortgage approval rule. Do know how that really impact buyers. I see tons rushing to get into the market right before the dead line, so those buyers are artificially move up to 2017.

I see no issue for houses over $600K tho. New rule only affect borderline buyers who may fail to get a mortgage under the new rule and rarely those buyers move up into those upper prices.

Quote Originally Posted by never View Post
    We listed our place after xmas 2008 at the realtor's recommendation. Their reasoning was inventory was low and some people would be shopping over the holidays. But it was slow until mid-Jan when it picked up and then sold early Feb 2009. So we definitely could have waited until mid-Jan and not worry about showings over the holidays.
    Only low ballers shows up in Christmas looking for desperation sales.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by Xtrema View Post

Only low ballers shows up in Christmas looking for desperation sales.
    You say that like it’s bad? This is real estate the goal IS to lowball and buy cheap.

And then you know sell high.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post
    You say that like it’s bad? This is real estate the goal IS to lowball and buy cheap.

So we're doing it wrong because we've been in our current home for over 21 years?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Darkane View Post

Bad for seller. Great for flippers.

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    So we're doing it wrong because we've been in our current home for over 21 years?
    Depends if you like the hassle to move. I have quite a few friends who did a few dump old, build new move during the boom. Went from a $330K house an into $1M+ house with 0 or minimum change in mortgage size.

Here I'm just enjoying only double equity without moving. Of course timing is everything. While you shouldn't bank on home equity as part of your retirement plan, having primary home equity increase by $1/2M tax free is pretty great. It's what Vancouver and Toronto home owners (pre boom) are feeling now.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-14-2018 at 04:55 PM.

It really depends on the market, I put my house up on Tuesday and accepted an offer on Thursday, but here on the Island there's no inventory right now and prices are still up.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Nope. you've found your forever home. Most people haven’t.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft