Quantcast
Mar's 2017 Movie Reviews - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mar's 2017 Movie Reviews

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

NO SPOILERS

I also watched Thor: Ragnarok. I was super excited to watch this one, I really enjoy the Marvel universe and Joss Whedon's work with all of the Avengers movies but for some reason this Thor movie wasn't as good as any of the previous ones. I thought the previous movies were great but this one just isn't as good, even though it's still a really good film.

Just like other Marvel films, they wanted to include another Marvel character so for this one they had The Hulk, as you can see in the trailer. I just wasn't into this Hulk though, it seems like they change him every damn movie. In the original Hulk movie (Ruffalo's first), he was a raging maniac that couldn't be tamed in any way and if you were within arm's reach, you were dead. Then in The Avengers, Black Widow was able to calm him down with a specific series of touches. Now in this movie they sit down and hang out together. I shit you not, Hulk is laughing and plays with a ball, bouncing it at a wall. What happened to the maniac killer? It's bad enough they teased me with Edward Norton, a vastly superior actor, now I got this shit.

Overall still a good movie, I would just say it's the worst in the Marvel set, I even enjoyed Captain America more. I give it a 7/10.

Also not enough Anthony Hopkins, was he too expensive?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

A woman's daughter is raped and murdered and after years of searching, the local police have found no suspects in the crime. The woman decides to rent 3 consecutive billboards on a road just outside the town and put up messages confronting the police about their efforts.

I actually really liked this film, it resembled some Sundance films I've seen, though I don't believe it was an entry. The acting is really good and the directing is great also. Woody Harrelson acts in this but he isn't the lead, that goes to the victim's mother. While it didn't appear to have the budget of a more well known film, it was a really good watch, had some very interesting scenes and an interesting ending. I would recommend this film to someone that enjoys movies and doesn't just need action all the time. I give it a 6.5/10.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    M3P

I really liked it - 6.5/10 - Mar

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Quote Originally Posted by hurrdurr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I really liked it - 6.5/10 - Mar

I very, very rarely give a 10/10 on anything, that means it absolutely could not get any better in any possible way. I'm more realistic about my ratings so a 6.5 is 30% better than an average film. So I liked it.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

giving a film he really liked a 6.5/10 makes more sense than the thread title still.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Phantom Thread

I think I found a movie I liked less than The Shape Of Water. It was nominated for 6 Oscars and 6 Academy Awards so maybe I just don't know good movies but I really didn't like this one. It's about a dress maker that's obsessed with his work and he meets a woman way younger than him. They fall in love and he just seems to continuously be annoyed by her until they end up hating each other but can't be apart. Not only was it fairly boring but it also went on for over 2 hours. Daniel Day-Lewis gave a great performance and the rest of the acting wasn't bad, it was just not interesting. At all. I give it a 2/10 and would not recommend to anyone.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Quote Originally Posted by Mar View Post
    maybe I just don't know good movies
    Truer words never been said

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

LBJ

This movie was fantastic, it stars Woody Harrelson and is directed by Rob Reiner. I had no idea Woody is capable of playing such a role, I could hardly even tell it was him with all the work they did to his face, but the voice is unmistakable. He plays a great role here as LBJ, the president that took office after the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It's about his fight to pass a bill through Senate, ending discrimination against minorities applying for white jobs and how he dealt with it once in office.

The portrayal of JFK and his brother Robert were great as well, the only negative thing I could say about this movie is I constantly felt like it was made by someone that was trying to convince me that he really was a good person even though I didn't know any different. I felt like they were always trying to make LBJ a hero, despite some secret I don't even know if it existed. My girlfriend says he was portrayed very differently to her in school and in the media but regardless of all that it was still a very entertaining movie and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I'd probably give this a 8/10.

My Ride
    ute

The Shape of Water was great.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Hey Mar, you know that its 2018 right? And nobody besides you calls a movie that was released in 2018, but was obviously made in 2017, a 2017 movie. As for the actual reviews they are pretty much on par with what I expect from a Mar thread.

The Three Billboards was a fantastic movie, wayyyy better than a 6.5/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Justice League

Wow, what do I even say about this movie? I'm actually surprised this train wreck even got made, it seemed doomed from the beginning with Zack Snyder getting fired and Joss Whedon coming in to finish up many of the scenes. It's like I could tell which scenes were done by Snyder and which were Whedon, the movie seemed to jump around a lot and the computer generated scenes didn't follow the rules of physics properly. I haven't seen a Ben Affleck movie I haven't liked but this one was mediocre at best. Some of the acting was pretty good though and I laughed at a few scenes, the score wasn't too bad and Danny Elfman did the music. Maybe if I had known more about some of these characters prior to this I made may have been more emotionally invested but I give it a 5/10.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

I actually don't mind Ben Aflac either. Which puzzles me to no end.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Lady Bird

This movie had great acting, great direction and should have gotten at least one Oscar nomination for something but the story was pretty average and it just didn't give me enough reason to get emotionally invested in the characters. It was an entertaining movie but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they were big on independent style movies. It's a solid 5 / 10 for me on this one, nothing really worthwhile to mention about it.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I, Tonya

This is the true story of Tonya Harding, her ex-husband Jeff Gillooly and her bodyguard that organized an assault on Nancy Kerrigan during the early nineties Olympic run. This movie is fantastic, Margot Robbie is incredible as always, the direction is amazing and the story is super interesting. I remember pieces of this story from growing up but I never knew all of the events that took place before and after the event, I actually finished the movie feeling really bad for Tonya.

The movie includes interview footage specifically for this movie with Tonya, Jeff, the bodyguard and Tonya's mother. I give this movie a 7.5 / 10 and would recommend it to anyone that likes documentary style movies.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I, Tonya is not a true story. It’s as true as Fargo which started out with the based on a true story title card. The only thing true about I, Tonya are the reenactments of scenes that we all saw on TV. Even the title refers to I, Claudius which is a fake autobiography.

I’m a figure skating fan and followed the story extensively since the 90s haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    changes every year

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    I, Tonya is not a true story. It’s as true as Fargo which started out with the based on a true story title card. The only thing true about I, Tonya are the reenactments of scenes that we all saw on TV. Even the title refers to I, Claudius which is a fake autobiography.

I’m a figure skating fan and followed the story extensively since the 90s haha.
    See this really pisses me off, I would have thought that it's based on an actual person, this should have to be 100% true events.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

The Greatest Showman

I have a new favourite movie of the year. This is a musical about the startup of Barnum's Circus and the Ringling Brothers. Zac Efron is as good as ever but Hugh Jackman absolutely steals this show with his performance, the acting is great, the singing and choreography are perfect. I have no idea how closely it follows the true events but it was still a very interesting story and very entertaining, I can imagine it would make a great live theatre show as well. I contemplated giving this one a 9 and still might change my mind if I think about it some more but right now I'm going to give it a 8.5. I enjoyed every minute of this film.

Would I recommend it? I'm quite biased because I would much rather see a theatre play than watch a movie. If you enjoy live performances and musicals then you will love the shit out of this movie, if you're not that into musicals then you probably won't enjoy it.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Get Out

This movie was nominated for an Oscar for Best Performance and Picture Of The Year and it won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay. I have no idea how this happened, the acting was bad, the story was bad and the direction was bad. The story took an interesting twist about 3/4 in and it was slightly creative but it just didn't make up for the poor character development that had already taken place. I expected it to be a thrilling horror movie and it turned out to be much less than that. It wasn't terrible but don't bother watching this one, it's not that interesting. I give it a 5.5 / 10.

My Ride
    ute

Get Out was one of the best movies of 2017

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I dunno what’s wrong with me. I mostly agree with Mar on Get Out. Entertaining movie, but the acting was weak, and direction was weak as well. Only point I would disagree is the story. While not perfect, it’s really solid. There’s a lot of things that you notice watching the movie again after you already know how it ends.

It could’ve been a lot better than it was.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast