Quantcast
Mar's 2017 Movie Reviews - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Mar's 2017 Movie Reviews

My Ride
    ute

To be honest, I did spend a large portion of the movie imaging the very bad things I would do to Allison Williams.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Darkest Hour

Arguably this was released in 2018 but here goes. This is the story of Winston Churchill in World War II during the fight with Nazi Germany for control over Europe. I have mixed feelings about this movie, it's some of the best acting and directing I've ever seen, however the story, at least to me, just isn't that interesting. Britain loses faith in its parliament and Winston Churchill comes in to save what's left of the British Army in a losing fight against the Germans which sounds like it should be very exciting but the story just seemed slow. A lot of it was due to length character development which was done very well but I found myself thinking about other things during some scenes and then snapping back to reality and realizing I don't even know what that scene was about. I simply couldn't get into it but because of the talent portrayed, I have to give it a higher rating. I'll give it a soft 7 / 10.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

I probably won't do this justice since I'm not a hardcore Star Wars fan but I'll at least give my opinion of what I thought about it. I just watched all 7 movies 2 or 3 years ago and definitely my favourite 3 were episodes 4-6. This one was good and Mark Hamill was great in it but it seemed like very serious moments of acting were ruined by cheap dialogue. The way of the Jedi has always been to teach your opponent that fighting is not always the answer and that you shouldn't let your anger control your emotions but in this movie it seemed like people were just picking up weapons and clobbering each other without any of that. When Obi Wan fought Anakin in episode III, Obi Wan was constantly talking and trying to reason with Anakin that fighting is not the answer and to fight the feelings of the dark side. That being a Jedi is like being a Samurai and your sword is your last resort. This movie just seemed like everyone wanted to fight and there wasn't any of that honour and leadership.

The worst moment in the film for me was when Ray hands the lightsaber to Luke on the cliff side and the scene gets completely ruined with cheap comedy. Something definitely lacked with this movie and I could definitely tell JJ Abrams produced it with all his stupid lens flares everywhere but I did still enjoy watching it and it was very entertaining. Long but still entertaining. I would give this one a 7.5 / 10.
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I Kill Giants

This seemed like more of a kid's movie but it was still enjoyable. It had some fantasy elements and reminded me a lot about my own childhood when I used to use my imagination to entertain myself, before I had things that would do the imagining for me. It's basically a movie about a girl in junior high school that lets her imagination get a little wild and believes she can hunt and kill giants. The acting is pretty good, no problems there but I'm not really the target audience for the film. If you want something to watch with your kids I would suggest this one, it's not bad. I give it a 5.5 / 10.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

SpiderMan: Homecoming

As someone that grew up on Spiderman, I was really worried coming into this film but it was every bit as amazing as I hoped it would be. I like how they had Peter return to the mechanical web shooters instead of the webs coming out of his body like in the Sam Raimi films, I also think this kid is a much better representation of the character than Andrew Garfield was. They skipped the explanation of how he got his powers, they skipped the love story, it was just Spiderman and the villain.......and Tony Stark. The movie was very funny, lots of action, it flowed well and Michael Keaton was fantastic as always. This is highly recommended and I would put it in top 3 of all Marvel films I have seen. It's now at the top of my list so far this year, I give it a 9 / 10.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Guardians Of The Galaxy 2

I heard lots of great things about this movie but it felt like the new Thor to me, not as good as the original. I generally don't enjoy movies with 2 villains and some of the action scenes could have been a lot more entertaining. I'm not sure why I'm unsatisfied with so may Marvel movies from last year but I had higher hopes for this one for sure. The acting was pretty good and I always like Kurt Russel but this didn't strike me like previous ones did. There were some pretty funny moments though, Groot and Rocket with the bomb was funny.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Baywatch

I'm not sure why I liked this movie so much but it was really good, I was surprised. Dwayne Johnson played Mitch Buchannon and was hilarious making fun of Zac Efron's character, a hot shot swimmer joining the team for community service. It reminded me a lot of The Guardian with Kevin Costner and Ashton Kutcher except funny instead of dramatic. Alexandra Daddario is exceptionally smoking hot in this movie as Summer and Pamela Anderson and David Hasselhoff both make appearances. It's filled with some entertaining action scenes and hilarious comedy, I recommend this movie to anyone that a good, entertaining movie that's almost a family film except for all the cursing.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Blade Runner 2049

I watched the original movie 15 years ago. I didn't understand it then and I don't totally understand it now. It was sort of entertaining for what it was, there were a few elements to the movie that took me by surprise but the movie wasn't really able to hold my attention with the scenes it had. The action sequences just weren't interesting, the progression of the movie seemed too slow and I just wasn't interested in seeing the characters make it. It was sort of interesting for the science fiction but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that hasn't seen the original movie. Even though I've heard wonderful things about this movie in other reviews.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

IT

This movie was great, I expected it to use a lot of the same scare tactics as other low budget horror films but it really surprised me. Some moments I expected to see a very scary scene but it turned out to be nothing at all. Others I expected to have a cat jump out to scare me and WHAM, a kid gets his arm eaten off! I feel like the use of Pennywise wasn't over the top and some of the scariest moments was just dialogue between him and a kid where you were just imagining what might happen. The actor playing Pennywise did a great job, I think he did a great job living up to the Tim Curry expectation and followed the original movie well enough. I highly recommend seeing this movie, though it is pretty scary.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Mother!

Wow, we have a new winner for weirdest movie I've ever watched. I thought Raw was weird but at least in that movie I knew what was happening. This movie didn't make sense at all, even after it was over. It's hard to write a review about a movie you don't even understand and didn't make any sense at all but the acting was pretty good, at least, and Jennifer Lawrence looked even more amazing than usual. I give it a 3 / 10, do not watch.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Wonder Woman

I felt the same about this movie as I did about Thor and Guardians Of The Galaxy 2, it was good but the Avenger movies have given me expectations too high for comic movies now. I liked this movie, I would probably give it a 7.5 / 10 but the score was a little off in places and the actors held onto jokes a little longer than I felt was necessary. It felt like they were pausing for theatrical laughter. The action scenes were good enough, it departed quite a bit from World War I history but I enjoyed it pretty much all of the way through.Gal Gadot and Chris Pine were great, I don't know Wonder Woman well enough to know whom the final villain was. I'd recommend this to anyone that likes comic book movies, sure, it was decent but not great.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3