Quantcast
2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Vs 2017 Hyundai Tuscon/ santa fe - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Vs 2017 Hyundai Tuscon/ santa fe

Default 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan Vs 2017 Hyundai Tuscon/ santa fe

After some recommendations from Beyonder's and some test drives, we have short listed to 2017 VW tiguan wolfsberg Edition vs 2017 Tuscon/santafe.

Majority of people in this forum suggested Honda or Toyota. I agree they are good and reliable. but family members wanted something else other than Honda or Toyota.

We are planning to get the All wheel drive model. Between these Tiguan or Tuscon/santafe which is better and good value for the money.

Tiguan drives good, but it doesn't have all the features compared to Tuscon for the same price. Should we go for the German make or the features ? The Old design of Volkswagen is stopping me from leaning towards Tiguan. 2018 model looks very good, but its expensive for AWD.

Santa fe is slightly expensive than Tuscon for little bit big cargo space. is it worth it ?

Any suggestions or reviews ? Thanks

I test drove the Tuscon and Tiguan and I personally liked the Tiguan, mostly because of the way it drove and its aesthetics. But that was based on the R line. Didn't look at the Santa Fe because didn't need the cargo space.
    If I was choosing for someone who doesn't care about the way it drives, I'd go with the Tuscon just because of the features and available options.

My Ride
    LNF

The tiguan is the oldest and has been the same vehicle for 8 years now. I would personally go for the tuscon given the positive reviews and the feature list.

It sounds like you like the tiguan for being german? Not sure what that means lol. Just buy whatever you like for driving.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The tiguan is the oldest and has been the same vehicle for 8 years now.
    Is the new one just a facelift? I heard they revised it, not sure how much was changed.

My Ride
    LNF

Quote Originally Posted by Skrilla View Post
    Is the new one just a facelift? I heard they revised it, not sure how much was changed.
    The 2018 is a new platform. But he is looking at the 2017 so that is the old platform which was out since 2009.

My Ride
    Lariat

I would go VW over hyundai any day of the week. Great build quality, better drivers vehicle, holds its value better etc
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

The biggest thing with the Hyundai is you're throwing away so much more money on depreciation. If you don't care then, it's probably a decent vehicle.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

We just picked the wife up a Tuscon.

We opted for a year used, due to the depreciation like mentioned.
    We grabbed a 2016 Limited 1.6t that only had 33k km on the clock, full warranty until 200,000km, for $32,000 otd.

Its honestly one of the smoothest and comfortable vehicles I have ever driven (mind you we have never been fancy with our vehicles). Its a little notchy off the line due to a very quick 1-2 shift, but you get used to it.
    The 1.6t is very peppy for what it is and the wife is averaging ~8-8.5L/100km for fuel economy, which blew my mind for an AWD vehicle.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Yeah seems like Hyundai depreciate like crazy. My coworker has a 3 years old Sante Fe XL loaded. $51K off the lot. They wanted to downsize a few months ago and the dealer offered $18K as trade-in

My Ride
    TRD Pro

We have a 2014 Santa Fe and its been great... while the depreciation is a concern, the vehicle has been extremely reliable and comfortable. At the price point it came equipped with way more options than similarly priced competitors. No regrets here as my Wife will likely drive it for a few more years as the kids beat the hell out of it.

The 2018 is a new platform. But he is looking at the 2017 so that is the old platform which was out since 2009.
    Ahh, makes sense wasn't sure what year it was badged. Was not a fan of the Tiguan when we looked at a then new 2015. R-Line had nice looks, but damn that thing was small inside.

The tiguan is the oldest and has been the same vehicle for 8 years now. I would personally go for the tuscon given the positive reviews and the feature list.

It sounds like you like the tiguan for being german? Not sure what that means lol. Just buy whatever you like for driving.
    I would think being the same for the last 8 years would be a plus as the bugs have been worked out.

Personally I keep flip flopping about Hyundai. You can get a lot for your money but to me it feels like buying a knockoff product sometimes.

I used to drive a lot of the accents and sonatas at a rental car place I worked at. The accent was a piece of garbage but it was priced as such and didn’t pretend to be anything but. Sonata I was actually impressed with, it wasn’t overly fancy but drove well and looked half decent.

I recently rented a veloster while on a trip and was unfortunately really surprised at how crappy it was. The design is garbage and the materials are garbage. I honestly thought I was going to break the shift paddles.

Santa Fe’s seem to be alright. I haven’t driven one but I’ve sat passenger in my friends several times. It’s ok but I don’t think I’d spend much on one. Used low mileage for 20k? Maybe but new? Probably not

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Quote Originally Posted by vengie View Post
    We just picked the wife up a Tuscon.

We opted for a year used, due to the depreciation like mentioned.
    We grabbed a 2016 Limited 1.6t that only had 33k km on the clock, full warranty until 200,000km, for $32,000 otd.

Its honestly one of the smoothest and comfortable vehicles I have ever driven (mind you we have never been fancy with our vehicles). Its a little notchy off the line due to a very quick 1-2 shift, but you get used to it.
    The 1.6t is very peppy for what it is and the wife is averaging ~8-8.5L/100km for fuel economy, which blew my mind for an AWD vehicle.
    Girlfriend just picked up a 2017 and is quite happy with it. Fully loaded it has a lot of features and the full length sunroof is pretty nice. Little to no road noise, lots of room for 6’+ people and seems great on gas so far. Agree that the turbo is a nice little engine.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

Quote Originally Posted by asp integra View Post
    i would go vw over hyundai any day of the week. Great build quality, better drivers vehicle, holds its value better etc
    x2

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

AS some of you might know I used to be one of the biggest VW fanboys on this site. But I went through this last fall and went with a Santa Fe. It really surprised me with how well it drove and what you get for the money is great

Like others have mentioned though, the depreciation is insane. Like 10k after 6 months insane. As much as I like the thing, I definitely feel like I'm stuck with it unless I absolutely lose my shirt trading it in.

I'd buy one slightly used in a heartbeat, but brand new I'd do the VW

My Ride
    Silverado

I mean if you plan on keeping it depreciation doesnt really mean a whole hill of beans.

Also the tiguan will depreciate worse than normal due to it being a last model year. A few thousand right off the top. Unless the new model is significantly more expensive.